AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
have you tried to set GSync to work on windowed and fullscreen mode?

yaqRqnp.png

I have a Freesync monitor and a GTX 1060 3GB and it works fine. Redout for instance has stuttering with both Lossless Scaling and Magpie, but all the other games, work really well with Magpie.

Still, for Redout you dont need FSR, it has some built-in great scaling, maybe Unreal engine TAAU, but it looks good whatever the resolution. (I set the game at 1080p on a 1440p screen, 1440 60fps works fine but the 1060 3GB gets a little noisier, not much, but I dont want that).

Also I play Redout at fullscreen and using the internal upscaler of the game 'cos HDR doesnt work in borderless or windowed mode with that game.
Yeah my Freesync monitor is stuttering when using G-Sync in windowed mode, my old monitor which has G-sync works fine with windowed.

And thats perfectly fine, I remember amd introduced the catalyst control panel it looked nice but was slow
NVCP is atrociously unresponsive most of the time. I don't know how catalyst was back when it was introduced, but the current Adrenaline GUI is leagues beyond what NVCP is right mow in terms of user experience.

It's frankly not even close. Having to wait for a drop down box to open etc is the kind of thing that was barely acceptable 15 years ago, not in the present day.

It is absolutely not fine. Nvidia CP is absolutely glacial, it's perhaps the least performant piece of software on my system, in addition to being laughably out of date in UX. AMD completely overhauled their CP with Crimson over 5 years ago, far, far more responsive than Nvidia's CP (and allows for some adjustments to game profiles to occur on the fly, while you're actually in-game).

Nvidia's CP has been in need of an overhaul for years.
I really don't think Nvidia cares about their CP, they want everyone to use Geforce Experience, that's where they put their time and money. CP is for tinkerers.

I really don't think Nvidia cares about their CP, they want everyone to use Geforce Experience, that's where they put their time and money. CP is for tinkerers.
Then they can actually start moving over functions to it. Nvidia has hyped up additions such as fast sync, frame limiting, low latency mode - and stuck them in the awful CP. Chances are DLSS users have been forced to interact with it more frequently these days (or download 3rd party apps like Profile Inspector) to adjust LOD for games that routinely fuck up their DLSS mip maps.

Regardless of the aesthetics, there's just no excuse for how incredibly unoptimized it is after all these. Large multi-second delays with no feedback for just changing one option and hitting Apply, what is it doing?

Then they can actually start moving over functions to it. Nvidia has hyped up additions such as fast sync, frame limiting, low latency mode - and stuck them in the awful CP. Chances are DLSS users have been forced to interact with it more frequently these days (or download 3rd party apps like Profile Inspector) to adjust LOD for games that routinely fuck up their DLSS mip maps.
They want to be Apple, everything proprietary to them and in one ecosystem and competition is irrelevant. If you're a gamer that cares about low latency etc. then you should be running a Gsync Premium monitor playing games that have Reflex built-in, not messing around with options in the CP.

They want to be Apple, everything proprietary to them and in one ecosystem and competition is irrelevant. If you're a gamer that cares about low latency etc. then you should be running a Gsync Premium monitor playing games that have Reflex built-in, not messing around with options in the CP.
Fast sync is basically just true triple buffering, it has worth in many games that have poorly implemented vsync, which unfortunately are quite numerous. Aspects like just forcing basic vsync, aniso filtering for games that don't implement it properly (like, this is the PC - backward compatibility with old titles it kind of a thing with this platform), frame rate caps, the aforementioned LOD settings etc all apply to systems that don't necessarily have gsync premium monitors (or use a TV). I mean Intel's graphics control panel is then also 'just for tinkerers' as it exposes much of the same functionality, but they've actually made the experience resemble something put together in the last decade. Nvidia has the resources.

I'm not even sure what your point is. Like, I want them to focus on Geforce Experience too, one UX for managing it all (perhaps with something that's not so full-screen focused though) but there's just no excuse for such a poorly optimized piece of software as the NVCP in 2015, let alone 2021. If hardly anyone uses it then there's little danger of people getting 'lost' if they update a UI that looks out of place on any Windows OS more modern than XP, and how it's less responsive than awful RGB management or motherboard fan control utilities is just...weird.

NVCP is atrociously unresponsive most of the time. I don't know how catalyst was back when it was introduced, but the current Adrenaline GUI is leagues beyond what NVCP is right mow in terms of user experience.

It's frankly not even close. Having to wait for a drop down box to open etc is the kind of thing that was barely acceptable 15 years ago, not in the present day.
yes, it's sooooooo slow. It seems to use the disk quite heavily. It was even slower when I had Windows installed on a hard drive, 'til 2 years ago. Now I have a SSD and it became more responsive, but still badly optimised.

btw, the nvcp screengrab is not mine, I found it on a random search.

So I was using the Force Resize option on Lossless Scaling before that was causing some additional blurriness and then overcompensating for it with the sharpening.

Without them enabled and sharpening set to the middle value( 1 on scale of 0-2 ) the results are pretty pretty good when upscaling 1.2X to 1080p :eek: and I get a boost of 35% in this comparison with maxxed out settings due to being power limited in the native render.

fPSjCWc.png

gE8xsgU.png

Full album :

I compared Nvidia's NIS vs FSR in Mafia Definitive Edition.

https://imgsli.com/ODIxNzc

Interesting. Fairly comparable. Some things FSR does a better job with (the checkboard pattern on the Taxi, for example) while NIS does some things better (The RPM gauge, for example).

Nice thing is that NV have apparently now open sourced NIS.

It does make me wonder if AMD eventually release a ML upscaler like DLSS with similar quality if NV will suddenly open source DLSS as well. :p

Regards,
SB

Lego Builder's Journey gets FSR support.

The update also claims general performance improvements for all graphical and ray tracing settings and dedicated knobs to turn on/off Sub-Surface Scattering, Film Grain, Chromatic Aberration and Panini Projection.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1544360/view/3132812580998192326

Gonna revisit on my HD 7970. :)

Probably* massively higher perf on my 7970 GE/6G after the update. From a scene in Level 2, where I previously had 18-ish fps in 1080p medium and 13-ish fps in 1080p high, I'm now at 28 and 24 respectively. And that's without FSR. Activating FSR at Ultra Quality boosts fps to 44 and 37 fps in those two settings. FSR is quite usable in this title because of the massive amount of post processing, DoF and blooming, which masks the lower rendering resolution quite effectively. The knobs for Sub-Surface Scattering, Film Grain, Chromatic Aberration and Panini Projection are there, but did not yield notable perf increases in my case, YMMV though.

Playing it now with 32 fps at 1440p, with FSR Ultra quality, ambient occlusion and global illumination at low (perf reasons), and depth of field at medium (personal preference). In a heavier scene (for non-DXR mode it's worse than the kitchen where you build the robot) towards the end, perf tanks a bit an misses 30 fps, but due to relaxing gameplay, it's quite playable still at 28 fps. VRAM allocation hasn't touched 3 GByte in WQHD, even though my card has 6.

Still do recommend this game at 12,74 EUR very much for a lazy afternoon. Only gripe: It's very short, about 3 hours I guess, when played with dedication.

*I say probably because perf = work/time and they might have changed the reflection resolution on the bricks (i.e. cubemaps), thus decreasing the amount of work. I didn't do screenshots last time, so can only compare to a video I took and it *seems* they are shimmering quite a bit more this time 'round. It's not apples-2-apples however, since last time I used MSI Afterburner/RTSS Overlay and was running Windows 10 (I checked though if that tanked fps, which it didn't compared to steam overlay). Now I'm using the Radeon overlay under Win11.

Attachments

• LEGO Builder's Journey hvy scene FSR.jpg
    LEGO Builder's Journey hvy scene FSR.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back