AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Question : Cyan do you have monitor drivers installed ?
it's just that the game has your monitor listed as generic pnp monitor thats generally what happens when you dont have the monitor drivers installed
I always forget about them, not that it matters much. I installed them now though.
So which of those statements is true ? The 1030 wouldnt run at 30fps at low settings or it ran at 60fps most settings at max ?
both are true. Back in the day when FSR wasn't a thing, my GTX 1080 started having issues with the fans -Gigabyte's fans settings are very delicate and I changed the position of the cables, plus I renewed the thermal paste. I dont know which was the original position, but after doing that, the fans of course worked perfectly but they kept spinning at 100% speed all the time once you started the OS. 3 fans, full speed, all the time = HELL.

The GTX 1080 is a 9 teraflops beast and games with incredible IQ like ME: Andromeda or Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the most impressive game I've seen to date) ran like a dream at 1440p 60fps, with most settings maxed out and I even set the resolution to 115% upscale -supersampling-.

So when I connected the GTX 1060 3GB to my PC, and tried to run those games, I kinda knew I was in for big-time disappointment. But it was worse than I initially thought.

Without FSR back then, I decided to stop playing those games. Sacrificing native 1440p for 1080p (or lower resolutions) didnt solve things either, and the IQ is soooo horrible.

On a 4K monitor, 1080p to 4K looks better than upscaling from 1080p to 1440p on a native 1440p display.

Usually, I prefer to set everything to low rather than dropping the resolution from 1440p to something else, but for those games, the low settings on a GTX 1060 3GB didnt do much at native 1440p. Framerate wasn't 60fps no matter what and the IQ was bad.

I've tested some more games. At first, Lossless Scaling works very well with NBA 2k21. Auto HDR enables and everything looks very good, while running very smooth, but after a couple of minutes, some stuttering appears.

Those things don't happen if you use Magpie.

Redout Enhanced Edition (a very fun game) seems to be an annoyance for both 'cos it just doesnt like windowed mode.

To start with, just like ME: Andromeda, Redout doesn't enable HDR in windowed mode, whether you enable FSR apps or not, if you turn HDR on it looks pretty awful in windowed mode.

Lossless Scaling doesn't perform well with this game. Magpie runs much better although sometimes there is stuttering.

However, Redould runs perfect in Fullscreen mode, Freesync works wonders, the framepace is literally perfect.

I think these Lossless Scaling and Magpie work in a Borderless Window too, I shall perform a test.

they mention some quite interesting details about how FSR works, and its "unique" features, in this brief video

The FSR element is great but I'm more interested in how well RPCS3 appears to work. ARe all those games fully playable on it? I might have to check it out.

RE Village using FSR + SMAA with Magpie. A very good idea that looks better than the native FSR support in the game. Btw, Magpie is going to include a built-in option to add FXAA or SMAA to any game in the next version (0.7).
I think native 4K looks pretty good and includes detail is missing from the FSR modes. An example is FSR modes missing the floating rock in front of the coat lapel which is shown in the 4K native modes. Not exactly sure why this is the case.

I think native 4K looks pretty good and includes detail is missing from the FSR modes. An example is FSR modes missing the floating rock in front of the coat lapel which is shown in the 4K native modes. Not exactly sure why this is the case.
native 4k looks slightly superior no matter what, perhaps an AA solution will make things even closer or better -in order to avoid jaggies-, but not perfect crispness.

After watching the part of the clip you mention, it seems like the small floating rocks are randomly generated, regardless of the res.

Magpie is working much better for me. Lossless Scaling in some games runs like a 70-90% slower -better than native, but not good compared to Magpie- for whatever reason.

That's expected, as Magpie is likely doing the FSR step at the very end, whereas FSR integrated into a game, much like DLSS, should happen somewhere in the middle of the pipeline. Certain effects and HUD/UI elements are intended to be drawn at full native res even with FSR/DLSS active. Adding FSR in post via Magpie or any other injector means that all of those items run at the lower internal resolution too - and so the overall performance will be higher.

EDIT: Never mind, you were comparing against the Lossless Scaling injector - my mistake. :)

Attachments

• 88993a88-bdb2-461b-abe8-be28e5b92994.jpg
    88993a88-bdb2-461b-abe8-be28e5b92994.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 16
FSR applied to a Nintendo Switch emulator called Ryujinx. Afaik, Ryujinx is an emulator written in C# which does not have native FSR support for now, and it seems like FSR is enabled by using Magpie.

Shame that Magpie only works in windowed mode as that breaks Freesync for me.
have you tried to set GSync to work on windowed and fullscreen mode?

yaqRqnp.png

I have a Freesync monitor and a GTX 1060 3GB and it works fine. Redout for instance has stuttering with both Lossless Scaling and Magpie, but all the other games, work really well with Magpie.

Still, for Redout you dont need FSR, it has some built-in great scaling, maybe Unreal engine TAAU, but it looks good whatever the resolution. (I set the game at 1080p on a 1440p screen, 1440 60fps works fine but the 1060 3GB gets a little noisier, not much, but I dont want that).

Also I play Redout at fullscreen and using the internal upscaler of the game 'cos HDR doesnt work in borderless or windowed mode with that game.

Shame that Magpie only works in windowed mode as that breaks Freesync for me.
have you tried disabling in-game Vsync? I started playing Crysis 2 today on EA Play and I had the same issue -only happens to me in Redout, but that game is not meant at all for windowed mode-.

I fixed the issue on Crysis 2 disabling the Vsync in the game's settings menu.

have you tried to set GSync to work on windowed and fullscreen mode?

yaqRqnp.png

Wait, is this how nvidia's control panel still looks like?! I thought they got an overhaul sometime this year.

And thats perfectly fine, I remember amd introduced the catalyst control panel it looked nice but was slow
It is absolutely not fine. Nvidia CP is absolutely glacial, it's perhaps the least performant piece of software on my system, in addition to being laughably out of date in UX. AMD completely overhauled their CP with Crimson over 5 years ago, far, far more responsive than Nvidia's CP (and allows for some adjustments to game profiles to occur on the fly, while you're actually in-game).

Nvidia's CP has been in need of an overhaul for years.

Back