AMD demonstrates Freesync, G-sync equivalent?

NVIDIA to support FreeSync?

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-promises-support-freesync/

However, it would appear that Nvidia has surprisingly agreed to giving Adaptive Sync and therefore FreeSync its full support. It has also hinted that G-Sync would be a superior alternative and appears to be quite confident in that statement. Although since FreeSync is now part of the VESA standard, it kinda makes sense that Nvidia has agreed to this. By the way, all this was revealed at a secret press conference in San Fransico during GAME24 as reported by Sweclockers.com. There is a relative lack of information surrounding this development but since the folks over at Sweclockers personally attended this event, it is certainly not a rumor.
My bold.

WCC is doing a long articles with their own words ( like offtly ), who are not part of the original . Like your bolded part Homerdog... this is a statement added by WCC, not from the original article.

The translation is bad, it dont work well with swedish, and you can think they have invert Nvidia and AMD in some line, just due to that but anyway original article here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sweclockers.com%2Fnyhet%2F19346-nvidia-utlovar-stod-for-g-sync-konkurrenten-adaptive-sync&edit-text=

Last edited by a moderator:
So what exactly is going on here? Will NVIDIA cards be able to sync with Freesync monitors?

So what exactly is going on here? Will NVIDIA cards be able to sync with Freesync monitors?

Yes. That seems a completely normal move from Nvidia anyway.

( Well Freesync monitor will never exist. Freesync is the name for the feature in the AMD "driver / GPU". On monitor side, this is adaptive sync who permit the control of the "dynamic refresh rate" by the gpu )

Some questions still remain anyway. Will Nvidia just develop a driver / software who work like G-sync without the module ( so similar of freesync ), or will they keep both ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The translation is bad, it dont work well with swedish
Sweclockers said:
Medan entusiasterna väntar på att få prova AMD Freesync planerar Nvidia att stjäla rampjuset genom att göra detsamma och implementera stöd för Displayport Adaptive-Sync, trots att tekniken i praktiken konkurrerar med Nvidia G-Sync. Detta uppgavs på en hemlig presskonferens i San Francisco inför lanseringen av de nya Maxwell-baserade grafikkorten Geforce GTX 980 och GTX 970.

Några mer ingående detaljer än så avslöjas ännu inte. Fler uppgifter om Nvidias tilltänkta satsning på Adaptive-Sync släpps sannolikt när de första kompatibla bildskärmarna hittar ut på marknaden, vilket beräknas ske i början av nästa år.

My attempt:
"While enthusiasts wait to try out AMD Freesync, Nvidia is planning to steal the spotlight by doing the same and implement support for Displayport Adaptive-Sync, despite the technology basically competes with Nvidia's own G-Sync. This was revealed at a secret press conference in San Fransisco before the launch of the new Maxwell-based graphics cards Geforce GTX 980 and GTX 970.

No further details have been revealed so far. More information about Nvidia's alledged support of Active-Sync is probably released when the first displays find their way to market, which is expected early next year."
:p

Some questions still remain anyway. Will Nvidia just develop a driver / software who work like G-sync without the module ( so similar of freesync ), or will they keep both ?

We will probably have to wait for the Freesync vs G-Sync reviews to come out and see if there is any difference.

Nvidia not going to support VESA Adaptive Sync

There’s a bit controversy breaking on the web which I wanted to write a few words on. Last week some website posted that Nvidia would be adding VESA Adaptive Sync support to their graphics cards, this misinterpretation or rumor was quickly debunked by Nvidia’s Brian Del Rizzo (Senior PR Manager from Nvidia).

Now the story is growing as it is clear that the technology is not supported and added by Nvidia in the VESA 1.2a spec of DisplayPort. VESA Adaptive Sync is not a new technology, it however was never implemented. When Nvidia developed their own G-Sync, AMD quickly announced FreeSync aka Adaptive Sync. So you can see how that hurts. Basically a technology that never has been introduced all of the sudden got pushed by AMD. You can reverse that really, if Nvidia would not have developed and released G-Sync, do you believe that AMD would have ever introduced Adaptive Sync aka FreeSync ? We don't think so. So by pushing Adaptive Sync into the VESA DisplayPort 1.2a standard AMD found a way to cannibalize Nvidia's technology and thus sales. Let me quickly state that both technologies are not the same, but then end-result is pretty darn similar.
It has now become apparent that according to specs listed on NVIDIA's website the new VESA DisplayPort 1.2a addendum is not supported, if you look up the latest GeForce GTX 970 and 980 for example, you'll see DP 1.2 and not 1.2a in the spec list. AMD's Radeon R9 and R7 GPUs however support DisplayPort 1.2a and thus (if the monitor supports it) Adaptive Sync aka FreeSync. Such monitors should become available by the end of the year. Nvidia obviously could support the free features, but seems to be not willing to do so, they invested in their own technology and are protecting themselves. Nvidia will focus solely on G-Sync, as they claim they are: "Solely focused on delivering the best gaming experience with G-SYNC-which is shipping today from leading monitor OEMs.".
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-not-going-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync.html

It's a shame, they'll either end up supporting it or Gysnc will be driven down in price to match it. It will become a major selling point for AMD GPU's otherwise.

My own thoughts are Nvidia should support both G-Sync and FreeSync. Let the reviews investigate which offers the best gaming/work experience, and then gamers/professionals will be in a better position to choose what is best for them, even if there may be a slight premium for G-Sync.

If the ever want to support DP1.2a or 1.3 or any new DP, don't they have to adopt Adaptive-sync, too?

My own thoughts are Nvidia should support both G-Sync and FreeSync. Let the reviews investigate which offers the best gaming/work experience, and then gamers/professionals will be in a better position to choose what is best for them, even if there may be a slight premium for G-Sync.

Im nearly sure they will support it, just they maybe dont want do it before monitors with adaptive sync are on the market ( a lot of monitors, not only 2-3 pieces ) and there partners like Asus, want it.

Seriously what can do Nvidia if Asus, Benq want to sold monitors with adaptive sync ? Pay them for use exclusively G-sync ? Is Asus will do a Rog Swift 2, and a Red swift with adaptive sync ? .

@Kaotik, its what i have understand first, but it seems that adaptive sync could be optional ( well thats what some peoples say, but i have not really check it ). And even if their connector is 1.2a and 1.3, they could just not support thoses features in driver.

Is it possible that nVidia was completely unaware of Adaptive Sync when they embarked the GSync train? It would be pretty dumb to knowingly invest in a proprietary alternative to an industry standard feature.

Is it possible that nVidia was completely unaware of Adaptive Sync when they embarked the GSync train? It would be pretty dumb to knowingly invest in a proprietary alternative to an industry standard feature.

If it turns out that Freesync is just as good as gsync, that would almost certainly be the case. I don't think NVIDIA would go making custom scaler hardware if they knew it was totally unnecessary.

So if freesync ends up as good as gsync, it will be a massive embarrassment for NVIDIA.

If it turns out that Freesync is just as good as gsync, that would almost certainly be the case. I don't think NVIDIA would go making custom scaler hardware if they knew it was totally unnecessary.

So if freesync ends up as good as gsync, it will be a massive embarrassment for NVIDIA.

I'd imagine it was more a case that Nvidia saw an opportunity here when monitor vendors, the companies that produce the scalers that are used in displays, and standards bodies weren't moving to adopt the notebook standards to desktop displays.

As such Nvidia figured they had a window of opportunity to bring something similar to the desktop that would have a tangible benefit to gaming.

What they probably didn't count on was another party moving fast to get the standards body to adopt this into a standard for stand alone displays so quickly. This shortened their window for being able to greatly profit off a proprietary standard and potentially lock out future standards. Or force future standards to adopt their proprietary system and thus reap licensing fees.

Nvidia "could" have gone with the upcoming standard if they had wanted to instead of using Gsync. One of their architechs even mentioned they knew about the notebook solution (how couldn't they?). However, that would offer little to no monetary benefit over selling proprietary Gsync modules to monitor manufacturers. As well as no method of locking out their competitor. Heck they could have pioneered adaptive sync for the desktop had they wanted to. But again, no profit from selling a proprietary module and no way to lock out competitors if they did that.

Unless, Gsync somehow proves to be so incredibly better than adaptive sync, Nvidia will have to support it eventually. But they will resist as long as they can to get as much money as they can from selling Gsync modules to monitor manufacturer's as they can.

In other words, they cannot say they will support adaptive sync. Because if they do, then no monitor manufacturer in their right mind would buy the Gsync modules in order to sell a more expensive monitor that only a portion of the market could use.

Regards,
SB

I'd imagine it was more a case that Nvidia saw an opportunity here when monitor vendors, the companies that produce the scalers that are used in displays, and standards bodies weren't moving to adopt the notebook standards to desktop displays.

As such Nvidia figured they had a window of opportunity to bring something similar to the desktop that would have a tangible benefit to gaming.

What they probably didn't count on was another party moving fast to get the standards body to adopt this into a standard for stand alone displays so quickly. This shortened their window for being able to greatly profit off a proprietary standard and potentially lock out future standards. Or force future standards to adopt their proprietary system and thus reap licensing fees.

Nvidia "could" have gone with the upcoming standard if they had wanted to instead of using Gsync. One of their architechs even mentioned they knew about the notebook solution (how couldn't they?). However, that would offer little to no monetary benefit over selling proprietary Gsync modules to monitor manufacturers. As well as no method of locking out their competitor. Heck they could have pioneered adaptive sync for the desktop had they wanted to. But again, no profit from selling a proprietary module and no way to lock out competitors if they did that.

Unless, Gsync somehow proves to be so incredibly better than adaptive sync, Nvidia will have to support it eventually. But they will resist as long as they can to get as much money as they can from selling Gsync modules to monitor manufacturer's as they can.

In other words, they cannot say they will support adaptive sync. Because if they do, then no monitor manufacturer in their right mind would buy the Gsync modules in order to sell a more expensive monitor that only a portion of the market could use.

Regards,
SB

Correct. But I believe the main driving force for Nvidia to stick with G-sync isn't because they make money from the modules. With proprietary G-sync they lock in users to their brand. Gamers change graphics cards a lot more often than they change monitors and therefore have to stick with Nvidia for a couple of generations... Smart and sneaky. :mad:

I don't know if they're actually making any money on G-Sync. The only monitor I would consider (Asus 1440p 144Hz) has been out of stock forever.

I don't know if they're actually making any money on G-Sync. The only monitor I would consider (Asus 1440p 144Hz) has been out of stock forever.

Effectively, but if you finally can get your hand on one, i hope for you it will work... Forums are full of peoples who have need return their monitor ( dead pixels, monitor die after 3 days, strange white line in the middle of the screen, i pass all the bad calibration of colors and other thing ).

Things are not so bad, some have got a good one the first attempt.

Back