NVIDIA opens GSync

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by DavidGraham, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I got freesync working on a gtx2070 + Dell 144hz monitor yesterday for a client. It works exactly like it should. I need this in my life.

3. sir doris

Regular

ASUS MG279Q 144Hz Freesync (35-90Hz) monitor seems to be working fine with GTX1070's, happy days :grin:

I haven't tried 60-144Hz via CRU yet.

Silent_Buddha, Lightman and pharma like this.
  4. DavidGraham

Veteran

NVIDIA will finally release a driver to enable G-Sync compatibility on HDMI. The driver will enable 5 OLED monitors from LG to have G-Sync.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

pharma likes this.
  5. techuse

Newcomer

6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Why would you think it's not enabled on Maxwell and Pascal?

edit: whoops, it indeed is limited to Turing

#66 Kaotik, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. ToTTenTranz

Isn't nvidia basically killing off all those recently or yet-to-be released BFGD monitors by getting the exact same features available to the LG C9 line that costs less than half for the same screen area?

Regardless, this just proves how the C9 is definitely the TV to get in 2019 and probably throughout most of 2020.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The difference is that those expensive monitors use the Gsync hardware module. The TV is just NV branding VESA standard VRR as "Gsync Compatible." So, I guess it comes down to whether the Gsync Hardware module justifies a higher price.

Regards,
    SB

9. pharma

Veteran Regular

I don't think there is any technical reason. I'd expect it enabled at a later date (similar to RIS on Vega and Polaris).

10. techuse

Newcomer

I couldnt see many of them being sold at the given prices and specs anyway. They were not particularly great.

I detest these types of practices.

11. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Yet, ELMB-sync is only available on ASUS TUF line (G-Sync compatible Adaptive Sync) ... so at the moment one state of the art feature is completely unavailable on top dollar monitors. A curious choice by ASUS to introduce such an innovative feature in their budget line.

12. DavidGraham

Veteran

BFGD are just an extra name for large "G-Sync Ultimate" standard monitors, the standard requires 1000nits HDR minimum and also min to max refresh rate coverage (1-144Hz @4K), somethings that these OLED monitors lack at the moment, they are also capped at 60Hz @4K.

13. ToTTenTranz

The C9 are are all native 4K120, which nvidia cards should support through HDMI 2.0b if they use YUV 4:2:0 encoding.

The maximum brightness that rtings measured is 855 nits. I doubt the difference to the overpriced bfgd monitors is discernable in 99% of real use cases, even more considering the infinite contrast the C9's oled panels have.

#73 ToTTenTranz, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  14. DavidGraham

Veteran

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled#comparison_2486

Also consider the fact that these OLED monitors will only do VRR at a specific spectrum (35-60Hz for example), and not cover the full spectrum (1-60Hz).

I admit it's not that much of a difference in that aspect, the HDR experience on the OLED should be better due to their contrast. But regular HDR1000 panels sometimes have their benefits in overly bright scenes.