AMD announces FreeSync 2

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Kaotik, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Kind of confirms a suspicion of mine about Freesync, HDMI 2.1 VRR and why MS was able to promise HDMI 2.1 VRR compatibility for Xbox One X so early.

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Because VRR is probably just a copy/paste of VESA's adaptive sync?
    I think many of us thought that..

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

The new (2018) samsung tvs supposedly will support VRR over HDMI 2.0

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Now, if only NV will think of its users and finally enable support for VESA Adaptive Sync instead of trying to force people into their proprietary system. If Gsync really is superior, support for VESA Adaptive Sync won't prevent enthusiast gamers from continuing to buy Gsync.

Either that or NV will continue to be greedy and/or spiteful (VESA Adaptive Sync having been driven by AMD in the past) and continue to not support a VRR standard.

Regards,
    SB

Lightman likes this.
  5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Since VRR will be part of the next HDMI standard I doubt NV could claim HDMI compatibility while blocking VRR from functioning without a Gsync module in the TV/monitor. And refusing to upgrade HDMI compatibility over an issue like Gsync probably isn't a hill NV wants to die on - Gsync can't possibly make them that much money.

But we'll see what happens. NV is fucking evil incarnate, they'll find a way to screw their own customers if there is one.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm pretty sure vrr is an optional feature

7. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

I've always asked this but I've never been able to get clarification. The public data for HDMI indicates it as a feature but not whether it is required to meet standard or not.

Grall likes this.
  8. ToTTenTranz

VRR is as optional as anything else in HDMI.
    A TV with HDMI 2.0 doesn't have to support more than stereo audio despite HDMI 2.0 supporting up to 32 audio channels.
    The Playstation VR's breakout box uses HDMI 2.0 but it doesn't have to support HDR even though the spec supports it.
    A future Roku set-top-box with HDMI 2.1 for 8K content and Dynamic HDR etc. obviously won't support VRR because the thing won't play games.

The HDMI Forum only establishes standards for communication between receiver and sender, but it doesn't force any hardware maker to adopt feature X or Y from a certain standard.
    It's the other way around: a TV maker that releases a new model with new features has to adopt the newest HDMI standard to get those features to work.

Same with VESA not forcing nvidia to adopt adaptive sync with the displayport 1.3/14 outputs in their discrete graphics cards, even though that's exactly what the mobile geforces are using in "g-sync laptops".

So... yes, nvidia will be as greedy and spiteful as they possibly can with this.

9. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

That's pretty much my assumption. At some point they'll partner with Vizio or something for "gamer TVs" with G-Sync modules.

10. fuboi

Newcomer

11. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

That's my kind of TV, since I stream cable TV through my shield and HTPCs, and that thing has shield built in! I'm sure I'd have to sell my first born to afford it though.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm not sure that's where any TV manufacturer wants to go unless a console maker with a large market base (IE - Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo) includes G-Sync support. The TV market is so cutthroat that unless there is a demonstrable demand for something or an industry push for something (3D even though it failed, for example) it isn't going to be included.

Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) gets a pass here because there are now multiple cheap scalers that include that functionality. IE - it doesn't increase the cost of a TV more than a few pennies over not having it.

Hence why there are so many FreeSync displays for every G-Sync display. Hell, even my 2nd tier Korean 49" 4K Wasabi Mango display has FreeSync and I got this about 2 years ago. Of course, I never really used the adaptive sync on it back when I still used a 290. At 60 Hz and below, even with smooth presentation, you can feel the variations in control response (50-60 Hz variable). That's one of the things that drives me absolutely bonkers with Destiny 2. It's locked 60 most of the time, but occasionally for who knows what reason it'll dip down as low as 55 Hz on my machine and that makes aiming really uncomfortable for me. Sometimes with almost nothing going on in the scene when most of the time in that exact same location with lots of enemies (public event) it'll be a locked 60. I just don't get it.

Basically after having tried VRR both on my machine as well as friends who have G-Sync, I am no longer a believer in VRR. Over 144 Hz slight variations aren't as noticeable so it's not as bad there, but overall I just don't like VRR. I'd much rather have Variable Resolution and fixed framerate.

Perhaps NVidia would be willing to pay a TV manufacturer to make a G-Sync Television, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Regards,
    SB

13. Davros

Legend

I'm guessing g-sync could be as cheap if it were not for nvidias greed