AMD demonstrates Freesync, G-sync equivalent?

42hz minimum is too high IMO. As a "freebie" then it's nice to have but I wouldn't pay extra for it. In fact you might end up with a worse gaming experience than regular vsync since if your fps ever strays below 42hz (not exactly crazy low) then you're instantly locked to 21fps. Not good at all. Perosonally I think the sweet spot for any type of adaptive sync (including gsync) should be about 25hz.

As I mentioned, I adjust my settings for games so that they are at 60 FPS predominantly. It's highly unlikely, albeit possible, for it to drop below 42 FPS. In other words, I don't really need a monitor that can go lower than that, although it'd be nice.

I'm never going to adjust settings so that the game doesn't spend like 95-99% of it's time at 60 FPS. I've been doing that since the late 90's. Adaptive sync will make sure there's no tearing (vsync off) or huge drop in FPS (vsync on) if it goes below 60 FPS. In other words a nice freebie.

It's also why I wasn't terribly concerned with getting a monitor with variable refresh. The benefits to me are relatively minor compared to someone who wants to game at 30 fps (/shudder). That said, as I mentioned, it'd be nice if the chip manufacturers like Realtek, Mstar, etc. started to expand the variable refresh range.

Regards,
SB

I wish I could spare the performance for that! My creaking old 670 OC has to make do with ~30fps in a lot of newer games though (maxed out or as near as possible).

It seems you can enhance the lower limit hz by a driver mod ..

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=10737128#post10737128

english translation
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Freesync-Hardware-259942/News/Hertz-Spanne-vergroessern-Treiber-Mod-1167860/

Several users of the LG 27MU67-B and Samsung's E850R series could reduce the lower amount of Freesync from 40 to 33 or 32 Hertz. Because it is ultra-HD devices, this is worth much. All previously tested display made the 33, also 32 Hertz, but not 31 - there there are strong image errors, as you are to see here (0:15). Understandably the monitor manufacturer allow more "cushion" for all copies support the minimum requirements.

By the way, can also increase the maximum rate of Hertz, which is but also "custom resolution utility" necessary because in the EDID in addition to the higher Hertz also the refresh rate itself must be adapted. Once again "OC_Burner" shows what data where to be entered to make it happen. Users need to try itself what values are supported and what range you want to finally have - usually you can set a higher maximum rate up to a certain limit, if one sets the lower limit upward. It has set values that are not supported by the monitor, you can uninstall the driver again and create a new.

Last edited:
Yap, there are two korean brands called Wasabi Mango and Crossover who launched a couple of TVs with FreeSync.
I read somewhere (can't find it now) that most higher-end Samsung models starting in late 2015 / early 2016 will support FreeSync too. I'm guessing LG will follow shortly because both companies already have FreeSync monitors in the market, so the transition should be easy as long as they have DisplayPort inputs.

BTW, there's a ViewSonic monitor in the horizon that seems to have the same specs as the Acer XR:

9xEJt8Y.jpg

Here's a thread at the anandtech forums that's keeping a good track of all the FreeSync monitors to date:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2437728

It certainly is a gorgeous monitor. I could be convinced to give up on 3D vision (which is barely supported anymore and will look like crap once VR arrives) for a monitor like that. But NV will need to support freesync first.

That viewsonic look practically bezel-less

I wouldn't count on it actually looking like that. All 'slim bezel' monitors I've seen have around 5mm+ of blank screen area within the physical bezel. The marketing shots for all of them photoshop an image on the screen which goes right to the bezel.

That said, marketing shots for the Acer XR seem to show a realistic bezel for this style of 'bezel-less' design:
XR341CK-la2.jpg

So, there are now adaptive sync monitors available in the US for ~250 USD for 60hz (Samsung PLS) and ~270 USD (MSRP, street price likely to be cheaper) for 144hz (AOC TN). I imagine it shouldn't be long before they are available in sub 200 USD and sub 150 USD price points. At that point it'll basically be affordable for even budget minded PC users.

Regards,
SB

UNF! That 21:9 Asus is sexy! If I had the money to do it all over again, my U2711 would be a 21:9 instead. MMmmmmmmm....

As I've said many times Ultra Widescreen QHD 3440X1440 (21:9) seems preferable to me over 4k (16:9) for gaming

As a 34" 21:9 owner it's amazing but I'd I had the money, I would go for exactly the same thing but curved. It's very wide and sometimes fps feels off at the side.

Give me a 32" 2560x1440, and I'll have no trouble seeing it as wide.

If that were to be an OLED, then wow! these would be the best "big" pixels ever. Minimizing the amount of light sent to my eyes while still allowing to see every detail.

5K 32" would be the perfect size for a GUI with 200% scaling then (at 300% monitor price! ouch)

Give me a 32" 2560x1440, and I'll have no trouble seeing it as wide.

If that were to be an OLED, then wow! these would be the best "big" pixels ever. Minimizing the amount of light sent to my eyes while still allowing to see every detail.

5K 32" would be the perfect size for a GUI with 200% scaling then (at 300% monitor price! ouch)

I'd kill for a nice "big" pixel OLED monitor. I can only imagine that as soon as there is some excess OLED production with A-/B grade panels being sold to 2nd and 3rd tier manufacturer's that the Korean 2nd tier monitor makers (like Wasabi Mango who make my current monitor) will start incorporating them into actual PC monitors just like they are doing with LG's current A-/B grade LCD panels which are manufactured for the TV market. BTW - not implying they specifically make A-/B grade panels. They are just panels that come from a batch of production panels that have too many defects. IE - uneven backlighting, too many stuck pixels, etc. But you can still get lucky that quite a few panels in that batch will be near perfect.

Until then, I REALLY love wide screen gaming on my 49" 4k monitor. I only wish Nvidia supported adaptive sync so I could put that to use as well.

As with Malo though, I wish this thing was curved. With such a wide screen, unless you sit quite far from the monitor, the extreme right and left edges appear distorted/off compared to the center of the screen.

Still, this monitor is so beautiful that I can live with it.

Regards,
SB

But OLED don't have backlighting so you'll have trouble making a batch with statistically bad backlighting or light bleeding :)

So it might be a matter of waiting till year 2020 or such. I remember once reading 2016 would be year of the cheap OLED, but things slip and volume is needed too.
If it is that bad there is a positive note in that we'll get monitors that are easy on the eyes when we'll be older.

But OLED don't have backlighting so you'll have trouble making a batch with statistically bad backlighting or light bleeding :)

But there will always be a chance for dead and/or stuck OLED pixels. And with high PPI screens or older eyes, 1 or 2 stick pixels as long as they aren't pure white aren't terribly noticeable. I have 1 dead subpixel (green, the red and blue sub pixels are still fine) which basically means 1 "stuck" pixel on my screen. I never notice it unless I put on a white or green background, find it, and then keep looking at that spot while using the screen with something with a white-ish background there. In other words, I pretty much never notice it

I could live with an OLED panel that had a similar stuck pixel or even 2 to 3 similar stuck pixels. If it meant it was available and more importantly at a reasonable price.

Hell, if I was using this as a TV sitting at TV distances? That pixel could be completely dead and I'd never notice it. Or if this was a 4K 30" screen, it could be dead and I would never notice it because it'd be too small to notice without putting my face inches from the screen.

Regards,
SB

I imagine the failure mode would be a pixel that stays black, or a subpixel that quits working (stays black) while the two or three others still work.

Indeed after a bit of web searching I'm finding this :
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/hdtv/oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980/
The downside of WRGB is that you have 2 million more sub-pixels that can fail in production. With the current low yields of OLED, you might very well encounter dead pixels (stuck pixels are much more annoying and far rarer on OLED).

Dead pixels are not easily detectable without uniform color field test patterns. And indeed, I was able to see dead pixels in all primary colors, save the white, which I did not find any dead pixels in. Again, your mileage may vary as other reviews on the Internet were quite diverse with the number of pixels.

Uniformity is far from ideal but really good.
If so that would be a very good deal (pixel dead instead of stuck)

Sorry for taking it fairly off-topic.

Back