AMD demonstrates Freesync, G-sync equivalent?

If I don't already have a monitor that supports the Displayport 1.2a standard, I'll need to buy a "new" monitor to take advantage of this "free" offering? Proper hardware scalar, standards compatibility, and R&D costs put it on similar footing to G-Sync which also requires a new monitor ....

Yes. Except G-Sync also needs that expensive G-Sync-module from NVIDIA, while the technology needed for Adaptive-Sync displays has been in use by display manufacturers for ages in eDP-world

"Some degree of DDR" is a far cry from per-frame refresh rate. And of course it is "full DPAS spec" since adaptive-sync does not require per-frame refresh rate, just as Intel seamless refresh rate switching is fully eDP/adaptive-sync compliant.

Maybe someday they can show the real thing that behave exactly like G-Sync, but this one just a fake lemon. Although this would still be interesting/useful for certain scenarios and definitely an upgrade from today's standard monitors.

So AMD is flat out lying?

It's probably just an eDP display which could do it to begin with ... not getting a firmware update so much as new EDID to identify it as such.

"Some degree of DDR" is a far cry from per-frame refresh rate. And of course it is "full DPAS spec" since adaptive-sync does not require per-frame refresh rate, just as Intel seamless refresh rate switching is fully eDP/adaptive-sync compliant.

Maybe someday they can show the real thing that behave exactly like G-Sync, but this one just a fake lemon. Although this would still be interesting/useful for certain scenarios and definitely an upgrade from today's standard monitors.
The demo was a full "FreeSync" demo, i.e. controlled variable refresh rate. DisplayPort ActiveSync is not, however, FreeSync, it is purely part of the ecosystem specification that enables FreeSync to work. FreeSync uses the specification and GPU hardware and software to sync the refresh rates.

During display initialisation the monitor EDID will send back the timing ranges available on the monitor to the GPU and the GPU drivers will store these for operation and control over when to send the VBLANK signal. During a game the GPU will send a VBLANK signal when a frame is rendered and ready to be displayed; if a frame rendering is taking longer than the lowest refresh then the prior frame will be resent only to be updated with the new frame as soon as it is finished within the timing range.

Sounds very similar the gsync then. Great stuff!

Any chance NVIDIA will support this? I would rather not have to purchase a premium priced gsync monitor (not to mention you still can't purchase a gsync monitor for any price, what a joke that's turned out to be).

But firmware updates for monitors that have already been sold?
My TV has firmware updates, my amplifier has firmware updates, etc., etc. Panel firmware updates are not that uncommon, but primarily they will be used to fix/improve compatibility with advertised features. Adding new functionality is not typically something that a vendor will look to do, certainly for well established products, and as per Anand's article this is not something that people should expect to happen for this feature.

The demo was a full "FreeSync" demo, i.e. controlled variable refresh rate.

For something that is hyped as an alternative to G-Sync I think it is not too much for anyone to expect it to do more than just showing that your GPU is capable of controling the monitor refresh rate. How about doing it while playing real games?

DisplayPort ActiveSync is not, however, FreeSync, it is purely part of the ecosystem specification that enables FreeSync to work. FreeSync uses the specification and GPU hardware and software to sync the refresh rates.

Yes I think I get this part, more or less, thanks.

During display initialisation the monitor EDID will send back the timing ranges available on the monitor to the GPU and the GPU drivers will store these for operation and control over when to send the VBLANK signal. During a game the GPU will send a VBLANK signal when a frame is rendered and ready to be displayed; if a frame rendering is taking longer than the lowest refresh then the prior frame will be resent only to be updated with the new frame as soon as it is finished within the timing range.

Sounds very simple, at least in theory. But apparently the biggest hurdle is getting this to play nice with existing apps right? More so with apps that manage their swap chain explicitly? And not to mention to the linux guys who develop open source drivers? All of sudden the extra buffer hardware in G-Sync make sense to me now, it simplify things from the driver side, removes potential compatibility issues with existing and future applications because it's completely transparent. But I guess, let's see what this FreeSync can eventually come up with.

For something that is hyped as an alternative to G-Sync I think it is not too much for anyone to expect it to do more than just showing that your GPU is capable of controling the monitor refresh rate. How about doing it while playing real games?
The demo is specifically tailored to show the effect/benefits, which is more difficult to display easily in-game, much the same as NVIDIA's own G-Sync demo content.

Intel adopting active sync would vastly increase industry adoption rates, is their anything that would prevent them from doing so in the future?

Android has all the facilities out of the box for in-the-field software updates, but the vast majority of handsets never gets one. Yet somehow people seriously expect that this may happen for in-the-field monitors?

Has anyone ever even heard about someone updating the monitors firmware?

I've only ever needed to upgrade a monitor firmware once (Gateway 30"), but have upgraded TV firmware multiple times.

Regards,
SB

During display initialisation the monitor EDID will send back the timing ranges available on the monitor to the GPU and the GPU drivers will store these for operation and control over when to send the VBLANK signal.

Will be nice if you can simply hijack that EDID to overclock a 60Hz Freesync panel :D

The demo is specifically tailored to show the effect/benefits, which is more difficult to display easily in-game, much the same as NVIDIA's own G-Sync demo content.
Nope, NVIDIA's first showing had a tech demo (which had much more camera panning action and motion) and an ACTUAL game, it was Tomb Raider.

Nope, NVIDIA's first showing had a tech demo (which had much more camera panning action and motion) and an ACTUAL game, it was Tomb Raider.

NVIDIA's first showing was a swinging pendulum, not Tomb Raider (Montreal event)

I said the NVIDIA's own demo content was very similar in nature to this demo in order to show then effect.

so if compatible hardware is out already is it possible to enable it via powerstrip or another utility that allows you to read and flash edid?

I've only ever needed to upgrade a monitor firmware once (Gateway 30"), but have upgraded TV firmware multiple times.
I assume the TV upgrade is done via a USB stick? Or direct connected to the Internet? How is it done with a monitor? Just software on your PC?

I assume the TV upgrade is done via a USB stick? Or direct connected to the Internet? How is it done with a monitor? Just software on your PC?

It work too by the standard TV cable ( TNT )... Mine update every 2-3 months without an internet connection or the need of an USB stick. As for the monitor, thats another problem... Seriously i have never seen any firmware update for any monitor ( including professional high costly one ) I can imagine there's some physical connector on it for this purpose, but can we do it by using an .exe launched on the OS ? i dont know.

Back