AMD announces FreeSync 2

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Kaotik, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Is there any use for VRR on a TV outside of gaming?

2. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Not that I can think of.

3. sir doris

Regular

Is there a chance a form of VRR could ever be used for movies? Allowing directors to use 24fps for “story telling” moments and ramp up to higher frame rates for action sequences? Arty blur without the judder and clear fast action all without requiring billions of terabytes for storage? Nah….

4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

there is a sentence in my previous post saying that the video contains a comparison after the 7 minutes mark, it doesn't matter if the youtube video runs at 30 Hz or 60 Hz

5. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Oh yes it does since that comparison cannot prove anything, except that the monitors are indeed running at the refresh rate they are supposed to be running.

6. Davros

Legend

Why 144hz, I understand 120hz but 144 seems a bit arbitary

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's a multiple of 24, perfect fit for movies too (then, so is 120 Hz, but 144 Hz is still more :D )

8. Kyyla

Veteran

I dunno. That's what it says on the box.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  9. milk

Veteran Regular

Screen mirrorring from latest iPhones and iPads.

10. Gubbi

Veteran

To add to the confusion, there is 144Hz and 143.86Hz, the latter is derived from NTSC timing and i 6x23.976Hz where the 23.976 is the 3:2 pulled down frequency of the 59.94 NTSC field frequency. Movies are normally 24Hz, movie content made for broadcast is normally 23.976.

Interestingly when I select 144Hz in Windows for monitor refresh rate, the Window desktop flickers, if I select 143.86 it is rock solid. Why? I have no idea. You'd think in 2017 we would be beyond this shit.

Cheers

Scott_Arm likes this.
  11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yah, like my dumb 59.95Hz dell monitor that seems to cause screen tearing issues every time I vsync a game. Hate it.

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Actually if I'm not mistaken all the "even Hz's" are more often those "bit under Hz's" than not in Windows, unless you create it manually. At least this used to be the case, 60 Hz being 59.94 etc etc but just rounded up. That wouldn't explain why you have 144 & 143.86 though

13. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Is there any monitor that claims to be HDR that actually have max brightness of at least 1000 nits and min of 0.05 nits? because As I understand it that it the real reason to call a display HDR and I still sees an infamous 300 nits of brightness in "HDR" displays.

14. Scott_Arm

Legend

So far a lot of the hdr monitors are very poor at hdr.

Lightman, BRiT and xEx like this.
  15. w0lfram

Newcomer

The Xbox 1X also uses FreeSync 2. There was also mention of some TV manufacturers (ie: Samsung) using the technology too, to appeal to the Console Gamer.
    The part PC Gamers will like, is the purported lower latencies.

Lightman likes this.
  16. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

The point of HDR is higher images quality, images closer to reality not really high refreshes although companies prefer to add features and ask higher prices with higher margins. A 1080p HDR with 120Hz would be plenty and more than enough for me.

17. w0lfram

Newcomer

Correct. But there is also another added benefit to FreeSync2, other than just frames, it also reduces latencies using the FS2 protocol. And what seems like massive support from vendors to introduce this into their displays.

Again, Xbox 1X will be featuring some of this.

And speaking of 1X (& PS4) AMD technology, here is a small blurb I just read today:

"Next-Gen Compute Units (NCUs) provide super-charged pathways for doubling processing throughput when using 16-bit data types.1 In cases where a full 32 bits of precision is not necessary to obtain the desired result, they can pack twice as much data into each register and use it to execute two parallel operations. This is ideal for a wide range of computationally intensive applications including image/video processing, ray tracing, artificial intelligence, and game rendering."

-Speaking about the Playstation 4 pro.

18. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Ivan, Lightman, Grall and 1 other person like this.
  19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Well, at least there are IPS/local dimming/HDR/VRR/4K gsync screens coming down the pipe (a few might have even launched already); I haven't seen any noise about local dimming freesync screens unfortunately... :(

Hopefully there'll be some in not too terribly long. *sigh*

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Also related, FarCry 5 will have Freesync 2 support (aka it won't need tone mapping for display, the game will tone map it automatically for the used freesync 2 display to reduce input lag)

Lightman likes this.