Am. Football games 2008 PS3/X360

I remember MS talked about degrading fields for the Xbox and how the HDD would let them keep track of where players had gouged the field.

I don't think EA ever implemented it.

Not sure if NFL2K or NFL Fever ever did anything like that.

sure did MS NFL FEVER had degrading fileds, footprints that remained in the snow, water splashes and towels that waved off of hips with pretty good field textures and an amazing lighting system for Xbox 1 gen as well as the coolest real time dirty uniforms ever. (fall down and 3d looking mud or grass came up on the spot that hit the ground :oops:)

no other next gen football game has even come close in those areas... I am very disappointed.

I guess when you sell millions of units (Madden) withouit blinking an eye... why bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
What?

Afternoon games don't get dark as they wind down?

And they did in 2007?

That's horrible.

I hate it when EA takes out features that actually matter.

How about the field? Is it deformable?

How about weather? Does snow accumulate on the field? Does it get muddy in the rain?

Does the weather start/stop or if it's raining/snowing its always raining/snowing?

Do uniforms get 'dirty' as the game goes on?

These are all very basic 'next gen' things IMO. I'd be seriously depressed if these weren't including in the third iteration of a next gen title.

the weather effects are horrible.

And is a "deformable" field the same as grass that turns into a flat brown mess of a texture halfway through the game? :rolleyes:

they added a ton of features (not game or on the field related) that will sell to kids and online twitch players but spent very little time on presentation or on field graphics IMO

PES is a much more realistic soccer sim than Fifa, yet fifia outsells PES everyyear, by multiple numbers, how do you explain that?

Ehm, they are actually almost evenly matched, aren't they? And PES pushes FIFA very hard to keep up and improve their game, with very obvious results.

as for the sidelines... holy mother of... Madden looks horrible! (sorry joker if that's your game)

I was talking about comparing last years madden to this years. Leaving 2k sports out of the picture for now.

they added a ton of features (not game or on the field related) that will sell to kids and online twitch players but spent very little time on presentation or on field graphics IMO

Actually other than this years being too turn over prone, I am liking this a bit better than last year. I hated the stupid mario running last 2 gens for the 360 had. Don't really care about the weapons system yet. Just having fun playing football with it :)

I was talking about comparing last years madden to this years. Leaving 2k sports out of the picture for now.

Actually other than this years being too turn over prone, I am liking this a bit better than last year. I hated the stupid mario running last 2 gens for the 360 had. Don't really care about the weapons system yet. Just having fun playing football with it :)

yea it's starting to grow on me too.

it looks good and is fun but I still have a hard time coming back from APF which just seems to simulate on the field football better APF's players are bigger, the animations cheat you far less and you seem to have more control.

but Madden is fun (albeit with a limited presentation) and chock full if features (off the field)

the weapons are interesting

I don't know about the source, with the site name being what it is, but supposedly, EA announced FIFA 08 will be running at 60 FPS on the PS3.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/08/22/ea-finally-makes-sports-game-that-shock-runs-at-60fps-on-ps3/

So it's due about 2-3 months after Madden.

Maybe EA Canada learned a lot in that time from EA Tiburon's mistakes.

Or maybe FIFA doesn't have some cozy tie-ins with MS like Madden 08 does. Lets see if there are any TV ads for FIFA 08 with the X360 logo.

does anyone else find it weird that the banner at the Madden launch party only showed a XB360 logo?

Ever since Microsoft buckled to EA to open up Live for Live 3.0, they have used the Xbox brand for basically everything.

Madden Bowl: Nothing but 360s
maddenbowl2007200702140yv3.jpg

Madden 08 Celeb Premiere: Nothing but 360s
maddennfl08200708150519on6.jpg

2 weeks before Madden came out, there was a different video to download from David Ortiz, lead producer from Madden, every day leading up till release. Madden has long become aligned with the Xbox brand. Microsoft has brought up Madden at every single E3 conference since 2005 and featured someone prominent from EA or played Madden during the show. It appears to be a fruitful two way street for both.

Well they obviously have a financial arrangement for the Madden Challenge and the co-op advertising.

What's unclear is if there was some under the table deal to impair or not put the effort to optimise the PS3 SKU of Madden 08.

Again, if FIFA for PS3 is 60 FPS, there will be questions raised.

not only did i find it weird that there was only a 360 logo, every person they interviewed said "it looks great running on Xbox 360" or something very similar.

Again, if FIFA for PS3 is 60 FPS, there will be questions raised.

Two seperate games! Likely by different dev teams and also selling to different markets.

The US doesn't buy that many soccer/futball games. They buy NFL football (exclusively madden for now). What's the most popular nextgen console in the us?

Same question but insert Futball/soccer and the rest of the world.

The dev team will put money/time where the biggest returns are. In the US with Madden, that's the xb360. For the rest of the world with soccer/futball (from what I can gather) that's ps3.

Many consumers were angered upon the discovery that the PlayStation 3 version of Electronic Arts’ Madden 08 ran at a reduced 30fps, despite its Xbox 360 counterpart running at a full 60fps.

However, former Xbox boss Peter Moore has now declared that these issues will soon be rectified, pretty much eliminating far-fetched rumors of how he purposely tried to sabotage EA's PS3 titles. Moore, now head of EA Sports, commented that starting with NBA Live 08, all EA sports titles will be guaranteed to run at 60 frames a second on the PS3 (including the previously 30fps-announced NHL 08)

Answering in regards to the reason why the PS3 version suffered from such limitations, Moore made it clear developers have simply not had enough time with PS3 development kits.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]--> "I see it [the issue] going away with NBA Live 08. I think that we had a little bit of a mea culpa, but we're getting up to speed on the platform. But that's in the past. And beginning with NBA, we're going to see PS3 titles from EA Sports running at 60 frames a second. So all of that'll be forgotten by the holidayâ€￾, said Moore.

We at PSU can only hope that Moore’s words will ring true come this holiday season.

http://www.psu.com/No-more-30fps-for-EA-PS3-titles,-says-Moore-News--a0001228-p0.php

NBA Live 08 demo out already @60fps on PSN :)

NBA Live 08 demo out already @60fps on PSN :)

Haven't all the next gen basketball games been 60fps?

The funny thing about the whole 60 vs 30fps thing is, Madden was never 60fps on xb360 before this.

The team was able to significantly improve their code enough on 360 to (finally) get it running smoothly. Prior to this it wasn't even 30fps. It was a jerky mess.

I fully expect with more time on the ps3 version next year they can get a smooth frame rate just like any dev on any kit. All it takes is time. Sometimes, it's something dev's don't have enough of though.

yes it was the open air stadiums with more players, like football that were giving problems. Inside and 5 on 5 was not as big an issue.

NHL2k8 is confirmed to be running at 60fps on PS3 as well and possibly NHL 08.

pretty much eliminating far-fetched rumors of how he purposely tried to sabotage EA's PS3 titles.

Even mentioning such rumors gives them more validity and time of day than they are worth. Why PSU would even mention such is beyond me.

I don't blame Moore at all.

But this news lends some credence to the theory that EA deliberately hampered PS3 Madden to highlight the X360 Madden, especially when there are such obvious financial inducements for them to push X360 version sales.

Madden has not been out a month and now, they've finally figured it out?

So a month more and they would have had the PS3 version on par?

Or are we to believe that EA Tiburon, which probably has way more resources given the cash cow that Madden is (not to mention NCAA, NASCAR and Tiger), is not as good as EA Canada, which is doing a heavy redesign of NBA Live from last year, is able at just a month after Madden 08 release to get better results?

(There's also talk of PS3 NHL 08 and FIFA 08 also being 60 fps, so let's not say it's only about basketball vs. football)

So the possible conclusions are, they're lying about more time with PS3 tools or EA Tiburon are incompetent compared to EA Canada, which has fewer resources.

Back