Am. Football games 2008 PS3/X360

I buy Madden every year. Used to buy the PC version until 2002.

I don't think they've ever had even 30 fps locked. Maybe with more recent PC versions running on high-end rigs.

It'll be interesting to see if they can even deliver 30 fps consistently for online games, which is the only mode that I play.

If it's just 60 fps for offline franchise or practice mode, then it's not quite as exciting for me personally.

Uh, this game used to use Renderware and PS3 was the lead sku

That's interesting. Is EA abandoning Renderware now?

Remember, they bought Criterion and it seemed like they were going to use Renderware as their next-gen tech. Even made a big deal of it at E3 when they demo'd Fight Night on the PS3.

Anyways, what Madden and all the other EA Sports games have needed for the longest time is physics. Would be great if they licensed Morphine or Endorphin or whatever the middleware is called.

But with less than 1-year development cycles since they insist on releasing a game every year, they probably don't have the opportunity to make a radical change to their games. Best opportunity would have been with the new generation but they didn't, despite the hyped promo they put out and the commercial they ran during the NFL draft one year. Madden of course looks nothing like what they had shown.

Anyways, I have come to lower my expectations when it comes to sports games and technology.

Remember, they bought Criterion and it seemed like they were going to use Renderware as their next-gen tech. Even made a big deal of it at E3 when they demo'd Fight Night on the PS3.

Anyways, what Madden and all the other EA Sports games have needed for the longest time is physics. Would be great if they licensed Morphine or Endorphin or whatever the middleware is called.

But with less than 1-year development cycles since they insist on releasing a game every year, they probably don't have the opportunity to make a radical change to their games. Best opportunity would have been with the new generation but they didn't, despite the hyped promo they put out and the commercial they ran during the NFL draft one year. Madden of course looks nothing like what they had shown.

Anyways, I have come to lower my expectations when it comes to sports games and technology.

I don't think it is time but lack of competition. If the NFL would of not sold exclusive rights to EA I think madden would be 10Xs better right now. The best years were when 2k sports or other companies were pushing EA including reasonable pricing for a yearly game that 2k sports did

There are millions of what I call madden zombies out there who will by the game no matter what. Why should EA add next gen physics when the zombies will be purchasing the game day one.

I have yet to purchase a football game since EA got the exclusive rights. I rent madden every year and have been disapointed each time.

I have a theory on this. Since Microsoft launched the 360 first, the developers got used to something that has generally been considered a pleasant development platform in the 360 and EA based all of their games on the 360. When it comes to Criterion, this is where it gets a bit fuzzy for me. Alex Ward of Criterion, when you see him talk in interviews, he sounds like he's employed by Sony. It's no coincidence that Burnout Paradise leads on the PS3. I believe that is the only EA game that does so currently. Maybe it could be to find a viable opponent for a high level engine on the PS3 since Unreal 3 is clearly failing or it could be stubbornness. Keep in mind that the upcoming Burnout has been delayed more than 4 times. Once upon a time, it was slated to come out the same day NBA Street Homecourt came out. That's how far back it goes.

EA has several teams, and some of the companies it 'bought' still operate almost completely independently.

Well finally played the NCAA 2008 demo on Xbox Live and not only was the 60fps cool but the amount of AA has definitely been beefed up from last year.

The devs really seem to be finding the sweet spot with AA and frame rate now with 360.

looks ultra smooth.

Well finally played the NCAA 2008 demo on Xbox Live and not only was the 60fps cool but the amount of AA has definitely been beefed up from last year.

The devs really seem to be finding the sweet spot with AA and frame rate now with 360.

looks ultra smooth.

Has there been a downgrade in the quality of the graphics from last year? Texture quality, model complexity? I'm just trying to find out if there has been a trade off to get things to run that smooth.

Has there been a downgrade in the quality of the graphics from last year? Texture quality, model complexity? I'm just trying to find out if there has been a trade off to get things to run that smooth.

not from what I can see but they do not have replay active to zoom in.

they have a nifty feature though that goes to a quick close up as each play is concluding allowing you to see your guy get tackled or making the hit and rolling over to get up etc. and the lighting and textures look great and realistic.

without replay zoom it's hard to see the exact jersey textures but the skin shaders, jerseys and helmets all looks great. I'm guessing they are leveraging the hardware in more efficient ways compared to the first two years... geez look at what cod4 is doing compared to CoD2 with lots of time on the final dev kits :oops:

Model complexity was stated by Nathkeen, Madden artist on GAF.

If they made those kind of changes, EA itself would be hyping them by now. NCAA should be done by now and Madden should be close to done before shipping to manufacturing.

In fact, has EA itself confirmed and explained the 60 fps, especially whether that's only singleplayer or online as well?

BTW, that's the kind of serious change EA won't do, which is to make online multiplayer -- more than 2 players on 2 different consoles playing in the same online game. I don't even know if Tiger Woods yet supports more than 2 players simultaneously in an online game.

If they made those kind of changes, EA itself would be hyping them by now. NCAA should be done by now and Madden should be close to done before shipping to manufacturing.

In fact, has EA itself confirmed and explained the 60 fps, especially whether that's only singleplayer or online as well?

BTW, that's the kind of serious change EA won't do, which is to make online multiplayer -- more than 2 players on 2 different consoles playing in the same online game. I don't even know if Tiger Woods yet supports more than 2 players simultaneously in an online game.

NCAA is already in stores. That and Madden ships a week early. They aren't going to go out and publicly proclaim that fact. An EA VP got put on the spot about it and he admitted as such.

Why would it be a different framerate for a fotball game online or offline? Its still the same amount of players\crowd being drawn.

Unless you expect adding a blue player marker in 2d will suddenly drop it to 30fps i don't see why it should

fwiw:
So I talked to Kendall Boyd who is the producer of NCAA 08 on nex gen and I asked him the tough questions.

1. Is there a delay with the PS3 version of NCAA 08?

2. Does the PS3 version run at 30 fps unlike its rivalXBOX 360 that runs at 60 fps.

A1. Ther is no delay, he expects PS3 copies to be delivered in full. He did say earlier that the PS3 may not get to smaller retail stores, but then backed away from that statement and issuing that the PS3 will be sold on time.

A2. The PS3 version of NCAA 08 will be at 30 fps. Although this is a big blow, the Madden Version of PS3 will run at 60 fps.
mind you, this is from the NCAA producer, and i think they are separate from the Madden crew. don't know how reliable the source is either, but he says that he is trying to get confirmation from the Madden crew.

edit: oops, forgot the link.
http://www.maddenwars.com/

APF2k8 is out now and as mentioned in the OP runs on 360 at 60fps and 30fps on PS3. According to some users on OP sports who have played both, the 360 has more AA as well (which I believe we need to get used to this gen).

The game is a blast to play and has good player textures and great animation by the way, but the lighting sucks ... Madden's 2007 lighting even blows it away. It does however have the best game PLAY of any football game I have ever played.

oh yea Demo out now on Live

APF2k8 is out now and as mentioned in the OP runs on 360 at 60fps and 30fps on PS3. According to some users on OP sports who have played both, the 360 has more AA as well (which I believe we need to get used to this gen).
The game is a blast to play and has good player textures and great animation by the way, but the lighting sucks ... Madden's 2007 lighting even blows it away. It does however have the best game PLAY of any football game I have ever played.

oh yea Demo out now on Live

Funny, so far there are more titles with 4xAA on the ps3 then 360 , while 360 has more titles with 2xAA then ps3

This is exactly the opposite what noa predicted.

Funny, so far there are more titles with 4xAA on the ps3 then 360 , while 360 has more titles with 2xAA then ps3

I think it is the other way around.

360 titles have better AA in almost every MP game (as predicted by ATi hardware design).

Yeah what he's saying is nonsense. Look at Dirt which has 4xAA. Its just a case of developers getting used to the PS3 hardware/putting in the extra effort to get it. In fact, because its easier to port from PS3 to 360 than the other way round, I expect PS3 to be the lead platform for more multiplatform games, a trend we're increasingly seeing.

As for the ATI stuff, they're hardly like to predict anything else are they?:rolleyes: They described RSX as unrefined, going along with the theory that Sony were going to use two Cell's inside PS3, and only put RSX in at the last minute - a theory which has been debunked.

I went 3 places yesterday to get 2k8 and sold out. What a bummer.

I have been in a football rut the last few years as Madden is virtually unplayable for me. Was hoping 2k8 was going to stick to their guns and gameplay! Glad to hear they did!

Yeah what he's saying is nonsense. Look at Dirt which has 4xAA. Its just a case of developers getting used to the PS3 hardware/putting in the extra effort to get it. In fact, because its easier to port from PS3 to 360 than the other way round, I expect PS3 to be the lead platform for more multiplatform games, a trend we're increasingly seeing.

Probably not for EA though, since they will likely see greater sales for the X360 versions of their games than the PS3 versions.

I heard NHL08 may be another 60 vs. 30 FPS situation and presumably NBA Live and FIFA may follow suit as well.

Only hope for PS3 owners is that these other games are done by other studios than Tiburon, which does the football games, NASCAR and now Tiger Woods.

Hopefully, EA plans to raise the bar for the PS3 version, if not this year, then next. MLB The Show has gotten some buzz for being the most sim-like game, not just for baseball but for all sports games. That was developed for the PS3 in very short time and while the graphics aren't the greatest, I believe it's 60 FPS and may have 1080p mode, like Sony's NBA game.

While MLB and NBA probably aren't big enough threats to EA, you would hope the EA developers have some sense of pride to try to at least match what the competition is doing.

Back