Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

ChristinaCoffin said:
Happy that gow3 MLAA is soon part of psEDGE dev libraries so more titles have it as an AA solution for ps3 games. No magic bullet though
Its happening finally ;]

That would be great. I was thinking the other day that it could be a perfect addition to Unreal Engine 3 - if I were Sony I would probably be paying Epic to get it in there. ;)

1080p and MLAA? That's a lot of SPU power right there considering 30 fps at 20ms is 0.6 SPU's at 720p. 1080p would be 2.5x more resource intensive, so about 1.5 SPU's just for MLAA alone, provided it's the same code as GOWAA. I wonder if they made the libraries available for all and not just first party.
Edit: Never mind, the MLAA code is the same as GOW3 and is only available in 720p.

Last edited by a moderator:
1080p and MLAA? That's a lot of SPU power right there considering 30 fps at 20ms is 0.6 SPU's at 720p. 1080p would be 2.5x more resource intensive, so about 1.5 SPU's just for MLAA alone, provided it's the same code as GOWAA. I wonder if they made the libraries available for all and not just first party.
Edit: Never mind, the MLAA code is the same as GOW3 and is only available in 720p.

MLAA is only for 720p.

No, it doesn't know about transparencies, or geometry. It works on the final image, after the transparencies have been blended over the background, and when thin geometry is already converted to a series of disjoint dots.

You could apply it on any mid-render buffer in theory, but the processing costs are prohibitive. In some games with esoteric styles and engines, there may be reason to apply this much AA throughout.

Is there a way to simplify edge detection by using the actual 3D model information?

I mean, you have the 3D model and definitively know where the edges of this model are...this should give you the possibility to mark the edges
something like: just draw the wire frame of your models (=all geometry edges). Than you have an image with colored pixels (= edge of model) and "black" pixels - thus you only have to scan through the pixels and see if they are colored or not to find the edges and use the AA method of choice there?! This should give you 100% accurate geometry edge AA, without blurring the textures or other stuff!

Other question:

Is it possible to use Quincunx AA selective?
For instance combine it with edge detection to use the great edge AA capability of the method, without blurring the whole image?

That's basically your depth buffer.
One could find edges of objects, like one would for stencil shadows, this would give you edges with sub-pixel accuracy as well.
Bad thing would be the possible performance hit and the fact that you wouldn't AA alpha geometry nor shadow edges and such.

The thing that interests me is that since it's a essentially a post process filter. PS3 emulation could use it for all games if a form of Cell is used in the PS4.

The thing that interests me is that since it's a essentially a post process filter. PS3 emulation could use it for all games if a form of Cell is used in the PS4.
That could blur the UI though, but we haven't seen GOWAA applied to a finished framebuffer with UI, so maybe it wouldn't.

Leave it as an option like the blur mode in the backwards compatible PS3. That should take care of any such issues or any other odd artifacts that could potentially crop up.

Back