Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

Look at the promo super sampled GT5 shots.
I believe it's rendered on PC is some rediculous resolution (since promo pics are ~4Kx2K and have SSAA) either on console with some heavy tiling... Or may not even use the game engine for that matter..

Well, no, all you are saying is they used a modified version of MLAA. We don't know anything more.
This sort of speculation, and statement of fact based on speculation is where misinformation starts.

Unless / until we have clear comment from the developers themselves specifically stating they have solved 'the sub pixel problem' then all we can say is they use a modified MLAA implementation.

You saw nothing.

:mrgreen:

It's probably more accurate to say they are using an ENHANCED MLAA implementation. If something goes "beyond" the original paper, it is an enhancement, no?

It's probably more accurate to say they are using an ENHANCED MLAA implementation. If something goes "beyond" the original paper, it is an enhancement, no?

Not if the enhancements are in other areas (e.g. quality for performance tradeoff).

Not if the enhancements are in other areas (e.g. quality for performance tradeoff).

Well, a tradeoff wouldn't be going beyond the original paper. Going "beyond" means you implemented everything PLUS something else or it achieves everything the original paper accomplishes PLUS something else. A tradeoff is not going "beyond" the original, no?

That is shader aliasing. Dunno how much can be done via sahders to fix or the brutal method of SSAA to fix it.

GT5 has more geometry aliasing(doors , hull junctions) than shader aliasing .And even 4x can't solve that.MLAA could do better on these problems i'd think.

GT5 has more geometry aliasing(doors , hull junctions) than shader aliasing .And even 4x can't solve that.MLAA could do better on these problems i'd think.

Isn't that more down to the fact that their HDR lighting can "break" the msaa, though? Well, that and the fact that it only supports 2xmsaa in its 1080p mode. It shouldn't surprise anyone that 2xmsaa isn't anywhere near sufficient to get rid of all aliasing @1280x1080 on large 40"+ displays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a tradeoff wouldn't be going beyond the original paper. Going "beyond" means you implemented everything PLUS something else or it achieves everything the original paper accomplishes PLUS something else. A tradeoff is not going "beyond" the original, no?

It certainly could. No question. Hypothetically, if you make it lower quality in exchange for a performance boost, that is still going beyond the scope of the original implementation.
If you make it run in javascript, that's going beyond the original implementation.

Etc. All we know is their implementation differs from the standard method.

PD uses another AA technique that supposedly has the total effect of 4xAA in 1080p mode when in motion.

Yes, my understanding is they use temporal AA (where you swap the AA pattern in alternate frames). It's apparently controlled by the 'reduce flickering' option in their menus.

It certainly could. No question. Hypothetically, if you make it lower quality in exchange for a performance boost, that is still going beyond the scope of the original implementation.
If you make it run in javascript, that's going beyond the original implementation.

Etc. All we know is their implementation differs from the standard method.

Yes, my understanding is they use temporal AA (where you swap the AA pattern in alternate frames). It's apparently controlled by the 'reduce flickering' option in their menus.

But what you don't understand is the original implementation has its drawbacks, whereas in GoW3 it has none (as far as I can see). Isn't GoW3's implementation better? So they must have solved it somehow right?
Remind you that in Saboteur, MLAA does not work on all edges and it's slow. You don't see that in GoW3.

But what you don't understand is the original implementation has its drawbacks, whereas in GoW3 it has none (as far as I can see). Isn't GoW3's implementation better? So they must have solved it somehow right?
Remind you that in Saboteur, MLAA does not work on all edges and it's slow. You don't see that in GoW3.
The saboteur not use MLAA.

http://ugdb.com/article/view/interview-god-of-war-iii-ps3/

UGDB: With God of War III we saw your studio make use of the real power of the PlayStation 3; do you think that it is possible to go even further with the team’s next title?

SA: Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50% of PlayStation 3’s power at this point.

UGDB: Wait… 50?!

SA: Yes, absolutely!

Sounds like plenty of SPU resources left according to Stig. I don't think PS3 devs should bother with AA on GPU anymore if the MLAA code is released.

Just imagine a world without jaggies.

I could actually play games on my ps3 like I do on my Pc. Maybe GT5 wouldn't look so ugly (I play with G25 1 meter away from hdtv)

50% of power?O really?I remember he said one time that it uses all of the cpu power...here

http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1247

Not only that but the way they said it would never be able to run on 360 and now saying its only 50 % of ps3 power would make you think that ps3 is more then twice as powerful as 360...

Oh my God what PR and hype does...they should just admit,we are using it to its limits,nobody would that that for bad,but this...he will trick alot of fanboys with this PR nonsense.

50% of power?O really?I remember he said one time that it uses all of the cpu power...here

Not only that but the way they said it would never be able to run on 360 and now saying its only 50 % of ps3 power would make you think that ps3 is more then twice as powerful as 360...

Oh my God what PR and hype does...they should just admit,we are using it to its limits,nobody would that that for bad,but this...he will trick alot of fanboys with this PR nonsense.

You know what, at the last minutes they've got MLAA to work, and a new scheduling scheme that saved at 8% on the SPUs. If they keep improving, I don't think we are already there yet.

You know what, at the last minutes they've got MLAA to work, and a new scheduling scheme that saved at 8% on the SPUs. If they keep improving, I don't think we are already there yet.

You see,i just dont believe that.Dont get me wrong,i love SM but this is purest example of PR since the ad when they said cell is maybe smarter then humans.

Anybody who knows anything about tech side of consoles will just pass this PR bull but some fanboys will stick to this and "dream" on about next SM title looking twice as good as GOW III...

Hah, usual contradictions when hype is involved!

Define "last minute". Also scheduling scheme to improve perfomance 8% sounds kinda moot if there would have been so much "untapped potentials" after ~4 years of development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back