Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

For what it's worth, Pandemic's implementation of MLAA on the PS3 seems much sharper than the Intel-based screenshots. Not nearly as much impact on the textures and overall clarity. This is most evident on comparison shots 2 and 5.

Comparison shots 2 suggest that Pandemic uses edge detect on PS3 with a much higher threshold, so that only clearly contrasted lines are dealt with. The Intel method considers almost anything an edge and blurs the whole picture. Look at the huge difference between the boxes. Because the boxes have dark-colored edges on the outside almost nothing is done with them. On the inside there's a lot more contrast and so more processing it seems. It also seems to be an almost exclusively horizontal effect.

Also when rendering, the developers have access to more than just the luminance or RGB to edge-detect. More selectivity should be a big plus, elliminating unwanted blur or artefacts with problem situations.

Would a possible or feasible solution to some of these artifacts perhaps be to turn off the MLAA process altogether when there's a movement/rotation of the camera going on (maybe at or above a specified speed), thereby avoiding the appearance of such artifacting with motion on the screen? After all, one miight argue that aliasing is a much bigger problem when the screen is sitting still than when there's movement or camera motion, in which case the perceived severity of jagged edges are not that of a problem at all, to the naked eye (well, at least beyond a certain speed of movement).

Good AA implementation is always more noticeable in motion than in static shots. It's one reason why AA was so easily discounted in the past. The whole "well you have to magnify the image to notice aliasing on such and such edge" edge for example.

While that same edge in motion needed no magnification to notice the artifacts as they crawled/sparkled/etc... And the issue was even worse when you had multiple parallel lines in close proximity to each other and then you moved the view... /shudder.

Regards,
SB

Comparison shots 2 suggest that Pandemic uses edge detect on PS3 with a much higher threshold, so that only clearly contrasted lines are dealt with. The Intel method considers almost anything an edge and blurs the whole picture. Look at the huge difference between the boxes.
Most likely theyre also use the depth values/(or normals perhaps) as well to see if something is truly an edge.
I've gotta admit this technique does look great, but will have to see it in other games first before a clearer picture can be formed, with saboteur the images have way too much DOF blur to be able to form a true opinion.
Ive got a feeling this is gonna be the next 'in thing' for games to have, SSAO was the previous

I saw Christer Ericson's nick appearing twice on B3D online members list for the past few days. Checked his Twitter:
http://twitter.com/ChristerEricson

No further words from Mr. Ericson besides his quick comments ? The Saboteur's implementation looks different from the Intel one (Just edge detect + blur ?)

Eh? Can't expect any details from a tweet of 120 chars! This the one you're refering to?

@kamidphish edge filter plus blur/blend :) 3:32 PM Dec 12th from TweetDeck

Which was a response to:

http://twitter.com/kamidphish
@ChristerEricson We did that too. Can we be part of the cool crew? about 19 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to ChristerEricson

What is this magical Saboteur "AA" method? 1:22 PM Dec 12th from TweetDeck

He already clarified with DigitalFoundry in slightly more details, but I was hoping for more:

Firstly, the definition of MLAA isn't in keeping with the basic outline of the technique as it has been described by some Pandemic staff, and it is almost certainly an extension of the edge-filter plus blur technique seen in several cross-platform titles already. As Christer says, "the qualitative difference comes down to how you edge-detect and how you 'blur'."

In terms of the effectiveness of luminance for determining edges, Christer also pointed out that the pixels we've highlighted as causing problems for edge-smoothing in The Saboteur aren't a product of red meeting black, but actually brown and red - similar in terms of luminance values and thus more likely to cause that particular artefact.

From his twitter, it sounds like classifying it as Intel's MLAA is off (PeterT mentioned that too).

makattack said:
Which was a response to:

http://twitter.com/kamidphish
@ChristerEricson We did that too. Can we be part of the cool crew? about 19 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to ChristerEricson

What is this magical Saboteur "AA" method? 1:22 PM Dec 12th from TweetDeck

If his method produces equally impressive result, then yes, they may be in the same club. Does it :?:
The magic sauce is in *how* they detect edge and perform blur; not whether they detect edge and perform blur or not.

@Brimstone: SPUs could do something like that, yes, the problem with that was (IIRC) that it's exclusively based on Z-buffer differences, so edges at the same depth (i.e. two connected polygons) would not get any AA at all.

If Fragment-AA maps to the SPUs maybe Sony should go to Matrox, which is still an independent company, and license the patents.

With thanks to Barbarian for sharing his compilation of the Intel code, I'm happy to present some "before and after" shots. To ensure an accurate result, all shots processed were full 24-bit RGB dumps/lossless BMPs.

What about some

"before and after" shots

of this:

3.6GB lossless version of the CE3 engine trailer came in overnight... "Maximum Media Assets" from Crytek!
http://twitter.com/Digital_Foundry/status/1418101164

?

I'd be interested in seeing the effect on the explosions in Infamous. Normally when we do the 1/4 size particles on PS3 games, we add some kind of post process on them to try and smooth out the rough edges a bit. That takes a bit of time to do though. So I'm wondering if a luminance based AA method would have a smoothing effect on the rough transparency edges, and then maybe the post process we do on the transparency buffer could be totally discarded. I've done a Z based edge blur in the past on PS3, but that of course doesn't do anything on the transparencies since they don't write to Z, hence I'm now curious if the luminance method would take care of it. Infamous would be a good test case for this since they don't do any post process on their transparencies and hence they look really rough, so before and after shots of Infamous with luminance AA applied could be revealing!

If Fragment-AA maps to the SPUs maybe Sony should go to Matrox, which is still an independent company, and license the patents.
Matrox's FAA isn't a post process step. Edge fragments append to a buffer as they are rendered. Without this information the technique doesn't work. Plus, it had multiple flaws so I doubt anyone would want to just license it.

Matrox's FAA isn't a post process step. Edge fragments append to a buffer as they are rendered. Without this information the technique doesn't work. Plus, it had multiple flaws so I doubt anyone would want to just license it.

Why couldn't developers just store the buffers for Matrox FAA in XDR RAM?

Why couldn't developers just store the buffers for Matrox FAA in XDR RAM?
It seems like a lot of effort for questionable gain. The GPU would need to know if the pixel shader is working on an edge and export coverage, color, and Z info. Even if it could work it would likely be very slow. It definitely gets away from the idea of using the SPU as this puts more work on the GPU just to have the SPU do a bit of post processing.

Plus, there are aspects of FAA that I doubt the PS3 GPU could implement.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I thought the post proccess on Bad Company defenitely improved the overall image quality after watching the video.

I'am a little confused of which direction the thread has taken is it FSAA or some other type of technique used to reduce aliasing? The devs from Pandemic described it as AA using SPU was that misleading?

I'am a little confused of which direction the thread has taken is it FSAA or some other type of technique used to reduce aliasing? The devs from Pandemic described it as AA using SPU was that misleading?

Well FSAA is not a technique at all, it just implies that some form of AA is being applied to all the pixels on the screen. Full Scene Anti-Aliasing

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/improvements-to-gowiii-since-demo-explained-2774/

“The E3 content is over a year old,” Feldman writes on the God of War forums. ”The team has learned a lot since then, so the final game should reflect that effort. Off the top of my head features added since E3 include: anti-aliasing on the CPU – looks much better then the 2x at E3"

could it be the same trick?
I doubt that it is the same, but it could be something similar.
We will know when we have our dirty hands on the game.

Back