All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what did the WII U do?
~300k

that's was part of MS's plan - to buy up 28 nm manufacturing capacity even though they couldn't sell it, and so stop Sony getting a bigger lead.
but that contradicts your previous statement
You don't want to create your lifetime supply in the first few months.
it was obvious to nearly everyone based on hype/preorders that it was gonna sell heaps, that 12 million would of been sitting in the warehouses max 6 months

OT - whats up with the posting here? server probs

;) then again perhaps sony wanted to sell 5million vs MS 3million, cause MS would feel we're not that far behind. OTOH 10million vs MS 3million would set the alarm bells off, and they would drop price/kinect rather quickly

it was obvious to nearly everyone based on hype/preorders that it was gonna sell heaps, that 12 million would of been sitting in the warehouses max 6 months
If you can link me to one prediction suggesting ten million by end of FY13, you might have the beginnings of a case. eg. How's about 11 million total next-gen consoles sold by end of 2014?
More realistically, PS3 is selling better than any console; unprecedented numbers. You're only making this claim now because you have evidence to support it. 6 months ago you would not have been caught saying in public, "Sony should be making 2 million console a month as they'll easily sell 12 million by the financial year's end"*.

* You can of course prove me wrong by linking to your post saying as much when the news of 1/1.4 million units were being manufactured. ;)

shifty I dont know if you're aware, its going back > decade

last gen
wii would of sold ~2million a month at launch for 6+ months (supply issues)
generation before
ps2 would of sold ~2million a month at launch for 6+ months (supply issues)

why didnt they? underestimated demand & ( manufacturing inability, most consoles suffer from this eg last gen all 3)
So why do you think somehow this generation is going to be drastically different?
Why wasnt a console going to sell ~2million a month? The wii U didnt that left 2 other options, and based at the hype leading up to launch most people would choose the ps4 as the more likely

OK this gen will not be as big as last gen due to extra competition from tablets/phones but its not gonna drastically crash

11million ps4/one consoles 2014!!! double that

Dont these guys even look at past history
in there first full year (jan-dec) the ps3/360 shipped 18 million & they were up against the wii & these monkeys think theyre only going to ship 11million going up against the (obviously struggling) wii U

why didnt they? underestimated demand & ( manufacturing inability, most consoles suffer from this eg last gen all 3)

So why do you think somehow this generation is going to be drastically different
Last gen the Wii sold like crazy out of the gate and the PS3 did not. So why would Sony bet on their console to such a degree? Confidence is one thing but to assume your console is going to sell 2m/month for six months would be foolish. Every generation there is one console that is a sell out for months: PlayStation, PlayStation2, Wii.

Before we get hyperbolic about PlayStation 4 demand lets see how it sells over the next few months.

Every generation there is one console that is a sell out for months: PlayStation, PlayStation2, Wii.
Last gen the Wii sold like crazy out of the gate and the PS3 did not.
OK this gen its not the wii U, so they had a 50% chance, but based on hype in the months leading up to launch I'ld say it was closer to 70%

So why would Sony bet on their console to such a degree?
To have a big chance of repeating what the ps2, where publishers would only target your device & ignore the others, which in turn leads to more consoles -> more software made -> (console more desirable due to more choice) -> more consoles -> more software -> more desirable. Its a circle. success breeds success. We have the opposite happening now with the wii U. publishers go not many sales of consoles -> not much software sold -> customer doesnt want to buy console with little software coming for it -> not many consoles sold -> vicious circle

Confidence is one thing but to assume your console is going to sell 2m/month for six months would be foolish.
Oh but it will (like I said a few posts ago) sell those 12 million within a year, so what if some of those consoles sit in the warehouse for 6 months. OK shifty was saying perhaps it takes 5 years to sell those 12 million consoles. OK in that scenario its not a smart decision but thats even less likely than scotland winning next years world cup (*)

(*)http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26194618

OK this gen its not the wii U, so they had a 50% chance, but based on hype in the months leading up to launch I'ld say it was closer to 70%
You are aware that Sony are selling off asserts and laying off staff and that this has been going on for some years on a effort to remain viable? Companies do not bet the farm on 50/50 bets.

Hype is just that.

You are aware that Sony are selling off asserts and laying off staff and that this has been going on for some years on a effort to remain viable? Companies do not bet the farm on 50/50 bets.

Hype is just that.

They have but let's also not ignore the fact that they really, really had to restructure. They're not selling assets to keep alive, they're doing what they should have done many years ago. Sony has become a dinosaur, full of inefficiencies they just have to cut right now. That's a very good thing that they're finally doing it, swallowing their pride in the process.

PS3 and PS4 Sales Dominate in New Zealand.

• PlayStation is the number one interactive entertainment brand in 2013
  • PlayStation 4 takes lead in next generation consoles
  • PlayStation 3 biggest selling platform for 2013
  • PlayStation largest brand in portable consoles
2013 huge year for Sony

They have but let's also not ignore the fact that they really, really had to restructure. They're not selling assets to keep alive, they're doing what they should have done many years ago. Sony has become a dinosaur, full of inefficiencies they just have to cut right now. That's a very good thing that they're finally doing it, swallowing their pride in the process.
I don't know about that. Stringer came in years ago and was selling and reducing and rendering Sony lean and mean. Lots of job cuts and the like, all to make Sony better and faster and smarter and...dunno what that really achieved.

I won't go so far to say as Sony are having to chop off their own limbs and sell them to stay afloat, but I'm not sure how the current 'restructuring' is any different or better, or will have any real benefit, versus the previos half decade of restructuring.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook :LOL:
That is just in New Zealand.

I don't know about that. Stringer came in years ago and was selling and reducing and rendering Sony lean and mean. Lots of job cuts and the like, all to make Sony better and faster and smarter and...dunno what that really achieved.

I won't go so far to say as Sony are having to chop off their own limbs and sell them to stay afloat, but I'm not sure how the current 'restructuring' is any different or better, or will have any real benefit, versus the previos half decade of restructuring.

I think Stringer made the case but was up against the whole Japanese job for life work ethic. It seemed like he was having a tough time convincing the rest of the board that trimming the fat was the best way forward and because of that resistance the outcome was no near what it should have been. Hirai, on the other hand, seems to be having a much 'easier' time getting the job done.

Last gen the Wii sold like crazy out of the gate and the PS3 did not. So why would Sony bet on their console to such a degree? Confidence is one thing but to assume your console is going to sell 2m/month for six months would be foolish. Every generation there is one console that is a sell out for months: PlayStation, PlayStation2, Wii.

Before we get hyperbolic about PlayStation 4 demand lets see how it sells over the next few months.

Exactly, the Wii was killing it for the first 12 months, and then settled into high demand for the following 3 years. The current PS4 demand is very good, but its not on the Wii's level, and the demand seems to be settling down a bit already. Wii's numbers are all the more impressive when you look at its first four years. Even with how well the PS4 is doing, its got next to no chance of matching Wii's first four years of sales.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook :LOL:
In NZ, nintendo were never big, eg last gen when wii's were scarce when they launched, you could of walked into any shop in NZ and picked one up. I think 2006->2010 sales were 360>ps3>wii before ps3 jumped ahead of 360. i.e. it was perhaps the only country in the world where the 360 was the best selling console for years.

Companies do not bet the farm on 50/50 bets.
Um they're not betting the company with what I'm saying, certainly less of a gamble than the ps vita which I said on these forums before it launched it would fail unless it had basic phone txting abilities

Wii's numbers are all the more impressive when you look at its first four years
I think the odds are pretty good to outship it, wii shipped 75.9 million in its first 4 years. So ~4.75 per quarter. I'ld say the odds would be something like
less 40%
equal (within 5 million) 30%
higher 30%

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if they wanted to make that much, they may well be limited by supply of key component - the central APU. Market is currently very hungry for those 28nm high powered chips. Radeons, Gforces, Xbone and PS4 are all demanding high quantities...
Even if they wanted to make that much, they may well be limited by supply of key component - the central APU. Market is currently very hungry for those 28nm high powered chips. Radeons, Gforces, Xbone and PS4 are all demanding high quantities...
Is TSMC running at full capacity?
It could be I don't know, it could also be that depending on how much (or few) they lose per units they are only willing to produce that much till price comes down a little.

Anyway nobody (pretty much) was agreeing with me when I was advocating for Sony to go with a cheap (though competent) more easily mass producible system. Now as Sony system has gained more traction than its competitors I don't expect opinions to change though I'm still convinced that a cheaper/lesser system was the way to go for Sony. Looking where MSFT ended in perfs and perfs per $ a tinier SoC +4GB would not have been too shabby. If they had more systems available and a price even more competitive I think it could have been a successful Blitzkrieg type of strategy.

Anyway I will quit being so critical, Sony choices have so far proven better so I guess it speaks for it-self more than my rant :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is TSMC running at full capacity?
It could be I don't know, it could also be that depending on how much (or few) they lose per units they are only willing to produce that much till price comes down a little.

Anyway nobody (pretty much) was agreeing with me when I was advocating for Sony to go with a cheap (though competent) more easily mass producible system. Now as Sony system has gained more traction than its competitors I don't expect opinions to change though I'm still convinced that a cheaper/lesser system was the way to go for Sony. Looking where MSFT ended in perfs and perfs per $ a tinier SoC +4GB would not have been too shabby. If they had more systems available and a price even more competitive I think it could have been a successful Blitzkrieg type of strategy.

Anyway I will quit being so critical, Sony choices have so far proven better so I guess it speaks for it-self more than my rant :LOL:

Sony's doing lots of things right but I'm somewhat concerned about NOW, that service looks like a really interesting piece of technology but if I'm being objective I struggle to see how they successfully monetize the service. Do gamers want to pay another monthly fee to access old games which btw they most likely won't own or in some cases already own???

I would rather see that money and investment go into refining services like Music Unlimited and a Video and Live TV Unlimited platform which could take all of Sony's media properties and deliver them to mobile, PS3, PS4, Tablet and PC. Granted Sony has video and music services now but they could be better, the interface for Music Unlimited is mediocre at best on PS4 for example and its fair to say that their services are too fragmented and arguably not very user friendly. It just seems to me that if they are seriously looking to provide a service that consumers will pay an ongoing monthly subscription for Live TV and cafeteria style video service is a better way to go than old games IMO. Or perhaps go after a special relationship with Netflix - cross collateralize IPs or do JVs to create shows/movies only available on Netflix. Even better would be a deal with ESPN or the NBA or EPL or La Liga; heck even a licensing deal with Ruko would make more sense IMO.

The other concern I have is games, Sony is doing a good job getting consumers to buy the platform but they need games (yes I know they are coming) to keep that momentum. As much as I hate to say it the more I see of Infamous Second Son the more I think that game is going to appeal to me (someone who loved the first 2) but won't win over the average gamer who is somewhat indifferent to the IP. The Order is being hyped massively and I really hope they deliver but until I see something other than graphics I can't say they have really made the case that consumers need to upgrade to PS4. Look at MGS - it looks incredible on PS3 and 360, if I am a consumer struggling to buy a PS4 I might decide to stay in holding pattern and enjoy the next 12 months or so of what may be the PS3's swan song. And that 12 months could be enough time for MS to get its act together and we see momentum swing back to XB1 thru more timed exclusives or a price drop or a services deal which makes XB1 a viable alternative to cable.

On balance Sony's financial situation doesn't afford them the luxury of experiments that run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. They need a clear well defined business plan that is executing on services that the consumer has proven to be interested in. And the service they do offer are not well thought out, too fragmented and hard to navigate at times. Instead of taking on more, clean up what they already have and make it easier for consumers to log on and stay logged on to PSN for all forms of entertainment. I don't think Sony goes into BK in almost any scenario but they certainly could in theory at least spend all their chips on popcorn so to speak and not have enough money for a ticket to the show.

Yes, based on the sales split between NA and the rest of the world last year I would project the Xbox One is around 3.2M sold right now. It is likely the PS4 is outselling it at a rate of near 4:1 worldwide at the moment. When Japan joins the party it will be that much grimmer for MS. Even with a sales bump from Titanfall PS4 could have double the installed base of the Xbox One by the end of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back