All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt its going to equal PS2 numbers in japan. I'ld guess whatever ~50% more than wii U done launch week

1 month after Japanese launch they will get Ground Zeroes, and month after that FF14 [open beta at launch, maybe 2-3 weeks in total of playtime during 2 waves of testing].

Japan did like 600K in one day and hit 1 million by day 10. Sony has a chance to surpass those numbers with the PS4 and I doubt if they give up that opportunity. I can imagine Sony dropping 2 million consoles into Japan within its first month on the market.

The PS2 launched in Japan at 39800 JPY which is pretty close to $400 today.
PS3 sold half the numbers of PS2 in Japan. Without any Japanese must-have titles and the market very different than when PS3 launched (in terms of console market competing with other devices), I wouldn't be at all surprised if sales were fairly subdued. Could go either way IMO. If there were a Monster Hunter or something on PS4 then I'd happily side with a million+ launch units.

Hmm, ps4 is right now over 1k on amazon so i dont know when that reading was.

If true though it would show PS4 selling as well as ever (I typically measured ~1k/hour back in holiday times).

But last time I was able to count it had slowed way down, but it was in the early AM.

I'll be watching to check it when it goes under 1k again. Sadly I have a feeling that will come in the middle of the night again rendering sales rates somewhat tainted.
Was at 692 as of 3:50PM Central Standard Time.

Also, the PS4 has jumped to #2 for sales in 2014. Jumped up 2 spots since it went back in stock.

edit: 253 sold in 1 hour... that's faster than when I watched it earlier in the month (~150/hr). Will probably be gone later tonight.

edit2: Gone... 692 in less than 3 hours. Sold out in less than 2 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at 692 as of 3:50PM Central Standard Time.

Also, the PS4 has jumped to #2 for sales in 2014. Jumped up 2 spots since it went back in stock.

edit: 253 sold in 1 hour... that's faster than when I watched it earlier in the month (~150/hr). Will probably be gone later tonight.

edit2: Gone... 692 in less than 3 hours. Sold out in less than 2 days.

Hmm so the sales rate has decreased, even in the middle of the day. They were doing a solid 1k an hour back in Dec/Jan.

So your rate of 692 in 3 hrs, 230 an hour, in lets call it 48 hrs, that's ~11k.

BUT the sales will slow down a lot overnight, as I've verified, so it's hard to say. Something significantly less than 11k. Probably not half though. I'd guesstimate like 7-9k?

2hrs and ~45min to be exact. :)

Of course it's slower than December. 230-250/hour is faster than when I tracked in late January. That's still pretty fast at one retailer. That's probably ~3500-4000/day at just amazon in a fairly slow month. March/April things will probably pickup a bit,

February Amazon supply looks heathy. Should mean that it is for the whole market. It has even topped the discounted Xbox Live cards for 2014 which seem crazy

Sony needs to get more PS4s to North America.

dCTSdEl.jpg

Sony needs to get more PS4s to North America.
It's not just NA out of stock, and due to the impending Japanese launch everywhere is getting less stock.
I think they launched in too many countries.

They need to increase production, 1.4Mil PS4's a month does not seem to be meeting demand.

It's not just NA out of stock, and due to the impending Japanese launch everywhere is getting less stock.

They need to increase production, 1.4Mil PS4's a month does not seem to be meeting demand.
Oh I agree. But the US is arguably the most important market. I know the UK doesn't represent Europe, but it is probably the second biggest gaming market, and their supply situation seems to be a bit better.

http://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

But ultimately they obviously need to amp up production because most countries are very low in supply.

Oh I agree. But the US is arguably the most important market. I know the UK doesn't represent Europe, but it is probably the second biggest gaming market, and their supply situation seems to be a bit better.

http://www.nowinstock.net/uk/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

But ultimately they obviously need to amp up production because most countries are very low in supply.
Indeed it is, though i prefer to call it the NA market as to include Canada.

Personally i think they should increase production in both factories by 200k each; 1.2Mil@China, 600k@Japan.
When demand drops just scale back the Japanese factory accordingly.

What was the peak production when Wii was selling at its peak?

What was the PS2's peak production at its peak?

What were the peak monthly shipments for those consoles?

Can Sony really be producing/shipping over a million PS4s well after it's NA and EU launches?

There hasn't even been a big game released yet.

Can Sony really be producing/shipping over a million PS4s well after it's NA and EU launches?
Of course
the wii/ps3/xbox360 were all shipping > a million consoles a month for years on end
IMO sony should of planned to manufacture 2 million a month, at least for the first 6 months, it was obviously gonna sell > 12 million in its lifetime

What was the peak production when Wii was selling at its peak?
donno but it sold >10 million in USA 2008, so you can say they were making ~2million a month

It's only too many countries if they are suffering negative consequences, and they're suffering from "why didn't they launch in Japan at the same time too" than launching in too many areas. :smile:

It seems that Sony is providing a steady stream of supply alright, it's just being gobbled up too fast.

Of course
the wii/ps3/xbox360 were all shipping > a million consoles a month for years on end
IMO sony should of planned to manufacture 2 million a month, at least for the first 6 months, it was obviously gonna sell > 12 million in its lifetime.
You don't want to create your lifetime supply in the first few months. If PS4 was to sell 12 million over five years (factoring in several price drops and major software titles), manufacturing 12 million for launch would have meant sitting on lots of expensive stock manufactured at full price only to sell at a significant loss.

Look at Wii U as another example. Nintendo made lots, saw great sales in the first few weeks, and that Blammo! Lots of unsold boxes costing them a pretty penny. And let's not even mention Windows Surface overproduction and what that cost.

As forecasting sales isn't an exact science, Sony's choice is probably spot on. Sure, they could maybe have got away with making more, but that's with 20:20 hindsight. When choosing how many to make months ago, they had to forecast sales, with a backdrop of economic lows, mobile competition for consumer dollars, and predictions of a dwindling console industry. A bullish 2 million a month may have resulted in a few million overproduction and another embarrassing blow to Sony's financial standing. They even went on record as predicting 5 million sold by April, no? Making 10 million consoles when your prediction is 5 million sold in 5 months would count as reckless!

You can always ramp up production to meet demand with a little cost to consumer frustration, whcih is a better option in most cases than overproducing.

Pre-orders should have given a big hint about popularity, especially when people have already put down a deposit. Even before launch the big chains here in Norway said that they had pre-orders they would not be able to fulfil before end of march.

Not in comparison with Sony/MS, but I know the embedded vendors we work with needs to put in component orders around 12 months a head, so it might not be that easy to ramp up the production. Especially since everybody in the supply chain needs to up their orders/deliveries across the board.

IMO sony should of planned to manufacture 2 million a month, at least for the first 6 months, it was obviously gonna sell > 12 million in its lifetime

Even if they wanted to make that much, they may well be limited by supply of key component - the central APU. Market is currently very hungry for those 28nm high powered chips. Radeons, Gforces, Xbone and PS4 are all demanding high quantities...

Even if they wanted to make that much, they may well be limited by supply of key component - the central APU. Market is currently very hungry for those 28nm high powered chips. Radeons, Gforces, Xbone and PS4 are all demanding high quantities...

But Sony suppliers should just get the components that MS does not need then... :devilish:

But Sony suppliers should just get the components that MS does not need then... :devilish:
that's was part of MS's plan - to buy up 28 nm manufacturing capacity even though they couldn't sell it, and so stop Sony getting a bigger lead. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back