All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I couldn't get the hype about snapping the game so that you could do a web search on another part of the TV screen.

As if they've never heard of people having iPads near them all the time.

TV networks are advertising the second screen experience all the time. Xbox One snap might be good if it came out 10 years ago, before tablets and even smart phones.

Yeah I couldn't get the hype about snapping the game so that you could do a web search on another part of the TV screen.

As if they've never heard of people having iPads near them all the time.

TV networks are advertising the second screen experience all the time. Xbox One snap might be good if it came out 10 years ago, before tablets and even smart phones.

I don't understand it either but its a personal preference, many are the same people who felt plugging in a wireless controller while using it made no sense. I can't say they are wrong again its a personal preference.

From GAF:

I was doing some research focused in Amazon sales ranking and by my surprise it is pretty accurate even when GAFers said to me not take the ranking serious.

December: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013-12/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar]
PS4 - 8th
Xbone - 4th

Result: Xbone won]

January: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-01/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar]
PS4 - 3rd
Xbone - 16th

Result: PS4 won

February: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-02/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar]
PS4 - 3rd
Xbone - 23rd

March: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-03/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar]
PS4 - 1st
Xbone - 11st

'Won' isn't terribly useful. 'Won' can mean outselling your rival by 1 unit or three times the amount. You could have Console A lose by one unit every odd month and win by selling twice as much every even month. Reflected in Amazon's rankings, you'd completely miss the fact that Console A is outselling Console B by 25%. For Amazon sales to be a barometer, we'd need the positions to in some way reflect final sales. And I don't think that's possible as the positions are affected by other gaming products.

All that's being shown is Amazon monthly rankings are a reliable predictor of who came out on top in NPDs. No one claims they offer any actual figures. Lots of people wanted to deny their validity as a predictor, but it's been pretty reliable so far.

three-month-console-totals-v2.png

ok its 3months vs 5 months but the basis premise is valid.

MS going look the xbone is 60% better than the 360 at the same point of time, whilst sounds good it doesnt mention the 360 was hard to come by for the first few months
The xbone is tracking worse than the original xbox in the US.

Eh? X1 first three months =1.958 million.

360 may have supposedly been supply constrained in early 2006, but most of it's 2006 non-holiday months, save a couple, were ~200k. XB1 will have no trouble staying well ahead gen over gen due to it's very large lead already in the bank.

Nov 2005 326k
Dec 2005 281k
Jan 249k
Feb 161k
March 192k
April 295k
May 221k
June 277k
July 206k
Aug 205k
Sep 260k
Oct 220k
Nov 511k
Dec 1.1m

X1
Nov 13 909k
Dec 13 908k
Jan 14 141k
Feb 14 258k
March 14 311k

My kids hardly know we have TV (for NFL) and never use it. But right now they are Chromecasting from their tablet youtube videos to the TV. Welcome to the future, it ain't a $500 giant black box...

My kids watched TV for the first time ever (they're 5 and 6) a couple of weeks ago. A few minutes after they'd sat down the eldest came running in to say the TV was broken. I went to look and it turned out the adverts had come on!

They are so used to TV being Netflix or Amazon or streamed from our NAS that regular TV is a drag. Though they do appreciate the ability to record Scooby Doo! Other than that TV is where you get to play Skylanders or Lego games.

Even my partner and myself don't really watch anymore. We record the odd series but most of our consumption is from iPlayer or Netflix or other on Demand services.

TV is one of those technologies that has had its day, it's no longer a requirement for media consumption which is probably one of the reasons that the TV functionality of the XB1, outside of the States, has been met with a generally disinterested reception.

The XB1 lets me control the TV. So does my phone. What else is there?

Eh? X1 first three months =1.958 million.

360 may have supposedly been supply constrained in early 2006, but most of it's 2006 non-holiday months, save a couple, were ~200k. XB1 will have no trouble staying well ahead gen over gen due to it's very large lead already in the bank.

Nov 2005 326k
Dec 2005 281k
Jan 249k
Feb 161k
March 192k
April 295k
May 221k
June 277k
July 206k
Aug 205k
Sep 260k
Oct 220k
Nov 511k
Dec 1.1m

X1
Nov 13 909k
Dec 13 908k
Jan 14 141k
Feb 14 258k
March 14 311k

The graph is displaying actual sales not shipped through numbers. Which is probably why the XB1 is showing up less.

My kids watched TV for the first time ever (they're 5 and 6) a couple of weeks ago. A few minutes after they'd sat down the eldest came running in to say the TV was broken. I went to look and it turned out the adverts had come on!

They are so used to TV being Netflix or Amazon or streamed from our NAS that regular TV is a drag. Though they do appreciate the ability to record Scooby Doo! Other than that TV is where you get to play Skylanders or Lego games.

Even my partner and myself don't really watch anymore. We record the odd series but most of our consumption is from iPlayer or Netflix or other on Demand services.

TV is one of those technologies that has had its day, it's no longer a requirement for media consumption which is probably one of the reasons that the TV functionality of the XB1, outside of the States, has been met with a generally disinterested reception.

The XB1 lets me control the TV. So does my phone. What else is there?

Yep. And yet we are forced to pay for TV license - at least in the UK - to fund the BBC. And we are heavily prosecuted if we don't. Talk about being stuck in the 90's.

and both PS4 and XB1 require a monthly sub to play online... :devilish:

And Netflix, and Amazon video (whatever they call it). Plus the cost of the internet connection. Oh and the telephone line I haven't used in decades as I don't even have a phone attached to my landline.
It's just ridiculous.

Yep. And yet we are forced to pay for TV license

and both PS4 and XB1 require a monthly sub to play online... :devilish:

And Netflix, and Amazon video (whatever they call it). Plus the cost of the internet connection. Oh and the telephone line I haven't used in decades as I don't even have a phone attached to my landline.
It's just ridiculous.

And property taxes for the building. Oh, and for electricity too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back