hardware sales.
It outsold Xbox One hardware by
two consoles to one, but it
wasn't a bad week for Microsoft
either, who also posted a
significant sales hike week-on-
week."

interesting.

MS were taking the hit on shipping destiny + expansion with Xbones for the same price as the PS4 bundle. That drove their averages down a lot. Without the Fifa bundle and Kinect bundles, the ASP might have gone under £300.

Still, this has to be cheaper for MS than dropping RRP to £299 for the Kinectless model, like I thought MS should have done.

Lets see how much interest there is in MCC. Maybe they can get that ASP back up - I'm sure they'd like to.

Horizon 2 looks amazing. Maybe that'll be a Christmas bundler. I think MS might be underplaying Horizon 2.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. There was a poll a few months ago that showed that 1/3 of PS4 owners upgraded from the 360or Wii. Does that make those players unhappy 360 gamers? No, of course not.

And, as was discussed at the time, the poll was devoid of any useful analysis because Wii and 360 users were grouped together.

I take issue with your statements of "happy 360 owners" and "unhappy PS3 owners".

Of course you do. As would most Sony supporters. Yet, most of those Sony supporters have already jumped ship to the PS4 while most MS supporters are clinging onto their 360.

You don't want to admit the possibility that displeasure with the PS3 experience is part of what is fueling the PS4 sales, while I'll readily admit that displeasure with the Xb0x is what is keeping people on their 360s.

You’re right in saying that Destiny sales on PS3 have been fairly insignificant – they definitely are. Whether that’s because they’ve all upgraded to PS4, I would say ”No”; more likely that the average PS3 owner is less interested in a Halo-type game from Bungie. .

Hogwash. All the Destiny hype is coming from Sony supporters who, after years of bashing Halo, are scrambling over each other to get their hands on Bungie's new game.

Hogwash. All the Destiny hype is coming from Sony supporters who, after years of bashing Halo, are scrambling over each other to get their hands on Bungie's new game.

Funny. I still think the Destiny sales show on some level that there seem to be quite a few X360 gamers that have ended up on the PS4 this generation. As a PS3 owner, I can truthfully say my interest in Destiny was pretty insignificant - mainly because I never played Halo. If I had, I guess I'd be one of the many losing sleep over this game. I would think to some degree that for Xbox gamers, the next big game by Bungie is what MGS is for PS supporters. Which is why I would suspect that assuming identical userbases, a next MGS is bound to sell better on a PlayStation console and a Bungie game better on a Xbox one. That's assuming X360 gamers upgrade to the Xbox and PS3 to PS4 in similar numbers. I'm amazed by the Destiny sales on PS4. My take is that's because of the larger userbase and to some degree because I guess the numbers of people that switched from a Xbox to a PlayStation is not quite insignificant.

For the record - I got suckered into getting Destiny as well, so I've contributed to at least a singular sale (well two - my friend got it because of me). I haven't really played it much to be honest.

And, as was discussed at the time, the poll was devoid of any useful analysis because Wii and 360 users were grouped together.

Of course you do. As would most Sony supporters. Yet, most of those Sony supporters have already jumped ship to the PS4 while most MS supporters are clinging onto their 360.

You don't want to admit the possibility that displeasure with the PS3 experience is part of what is fueling the PS4 sales, while I'll readily admit that displeasure with the Xb0x is what is keeping people on their 360s.

So we have wave after wave of PS3 owners moving to PS4 because they unhappy with their PS3 bc it has worse performing third party titles?

Keep in mind that the PS360 third party titles which by all objective measures (DF analysis the last 3 years or so) are essentially equivalent. So for this premise to be true there must be a lot of people who suddenly feel the need to play all the hits for 2009.

Now we've been told developers had no choice but to devote 2/3rd of their development budget on the PS3 version bc of pressure from Sony and consumers if comments on this board are to be believed. so maybe you could suggest the developers are pressuring PS3 owners to upgrade to PS4 so they can get the cost of development under control.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and propose something completely crazy, I think more PS3/360 owners are migrating to PS4 bc it was made to be and is marketed as a game machine first and offers what consumers believe to be a good value. XB1 launched with LIVE functionality that didn't match what was available on 360, had a confusing message and the wrong focus which put 360 owners into play or had them opt to sit on the sidelines and wait to see if MS could make a case for them to buy XB1. I know its crazy talk, in light of the huge development dollars spent to make PS3 games - games have decided enmass to migrate to PS4 so that money can be used to make more games or get them out earlier or cost less.

I don't know why this is turning into a great debate of who is supporting PS4 and who is supporting XB1. Most XB360 users who were previous PC gamers are returning back to PC, while a great majority of PS2 supporters, previous XB360 owners are returning back to PS4. I would even venture to say; the vast majority of XB360 early success was owed by PC/PS2 users flocking to it. PC users for the unified gameplay and the latest and exclusives 1st person shooters and PS2 owners that were tired of PS2 graphics and who couldn't wait an additional year for PS3.

Anyhow, you don't have to take my word for it... stop in any GameStop, ask them how many previous XB360s/PS3s owners are trading in their consoles towards PS4/XB1. The vast majority were XB360s towards PS4, followed by XB1.

Although everyone's entitled to their opinion, yours seems pretty baseless. What are PS3 gamers unhappy with, where they were happy with the console for the past however many years? I don't recall the FW update that made PS3's jump up and chase the pets around the house, so I'm not really seeing the 'unhappy with my PS3' argument. AFAICS PS3 owners and XB360 owners have equal reason to be unhappy with their console (they're both old and rubbish and not getting awesome new games expect weak cross-gen ports). You'll have to explain the difference to me if you want to make a convincing argument.

As for the stats, the number of Destiny sales on PS4 are well below the sales disparity between the two platforms, so its obviously a title with brand identification from XBox fans thanks to being Bungie. PS3 owners aren't that impressed thanks to its last-gen visuals. 360 fans of Halo are happier to play the latest Bungie game. PS4 owners and XB1 owners are happy to play the latest, greatest shooter on the consoles it was made for, while proportion of XB1 owners buying the game is higher than PS4 (last I remember of the numbers anyhow) because of that same Bungie brand relationship. That's a far more realistic interpretation of the situation than what your proposing.

Ran across one of those Nielsen studies called "360 view of Gaming" or something or other. The data points were gathered in the middle of Dec 2013 and I am recalling most of this off the top of my head. So I may be a little off and I recall absolutely very little of Wii data.

From that data set, the study showed that 25% of PS3 households had upgraded to next gen console while 20% of 360 households had upgraded. I think the Wii was in ~15% range. It also showed that of the PS3 households, 60% were likely or would definitely upgrade to the PS4 while ~21-27% (can't remember the exact number) would upgrade to the XB1. Of the 360 household ~33-36% were likely to definitely planning to upgrade to the PS4 while 46% were likely to definitely planning to upgrade to the Xbox One.

80% were waiting until after a price drop to purchase a next gen console while 40% of those were waiting for multiple price drops.

When you consider the size discrepany between the userbases, the PS4 has an major advantage when it comes to switching. Im guessing its around 2:1 in the US when comparing the PS3 and 360.

Although everyone's entitled to their opinion, yours seems pretty baseless. What are PS3 gamers unhappy with, where they were happy with the console for the past however many years? I don't recall the FW update that made PS3's jump up and chase the pets around the house, so I'm not really seeing the 'unhappy with my PS3' argument. AFAICS PS3 owners and XB360 owners have equal reason to be unhappy with their console (they're both old and rubbish and not getting awesome new games expect weak cross-gen ports). You'll have to explain the difference to me if you want to make a convincing argument.

As for the stats, the number of Destiny sales on PS4 are well below the sales disparity between the two platforms, so its obviously a title with brand identification from XBox fans thanks to being Bungie. PS3 owners aren't that impressed thanks to its last-gen visuals. 360 fans of Halo are happier to play the latest Bungie game. PS4 owners and XB1 owners are happy to play the latest, greatest shooter on the consoles it was made for, while proportion of XB1 owners buying the game is higher than PS4 (last I remember of the numbers anyhow) because of that same Bungie brand relationship. That's a far more realistic interpretation of the situation than what your proposing.
I agree Shifty.

But we only know Destiny sales in the UK so far, and the Destiny sales ratio is only a bit less than the hardware ratio. Last report was that the PS4 leads by a ratio of 1.5:1 as of the the end of January, and the Destiny ratio was ~1.28:1. Install base ratios never translate to software sales 1:1, so it seems pretty normal for a FPS (since XB owners seem to slightly prefer shooters). The split for Wolfenstein in the UK was 38% PS4, 31% XB1, 12% X360, 8% PS3. IIRC, the sales split for games like Watch Dogs, Diablo III and Tomb Raider were much higher in the PS4's favor.

But I agree, making claims that PS3 owners were less happy with their console based on Destiny numbers is ridiculous, and a completely baseless claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although everyone's entitled to their opinion, yours seems pretty baseless.

Okay, since you all seem to be so biased and so emotional about this, let's start with a very basic question.

Have more PS3 users upgraded to a new console (regardless of brand) or have more 360 users upgraded to a new console (again, regardless of brand)?

And please, use some sort of statistics in order to support your response.

Okay, since you all seem to be so biased and so emotional about this, let's start with a very basic question.
Huh? You're the one pushing an idea without any backing whatsoever. There's nothing emotional about my response other than an annoyance with a strong opinion not backed by decent argument.

Have more PS3 users upgraded to a new console (regardless of brand) or have more 360 users upgraded to a new console (again, regardless of brand)?

Industry said:
"Everyone in this industry always tracks that kind of stuff," he told CVG. "It's always fascinating to look at all this data. So, two of the things I can talk about - because they're true. 17 per cent of PS4 owners did not own a last-gen console. That in itself is a pretty shocking number. "31 per cent of PS4 owners did not own a PS3, but they did own either an Xbox 360 or Wii,"
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/468288/xbox-360-and-wii-owners-have-migrated-to-ps4-sony-says/
31+17% == 48%. So about half of PS4 buyers aren't PS3 upgraders, as from July. Sales were at, what, 8 million then? So you'd be looking at 4 million PS3 upgraders. At the same time, XB1 was at, what, 5 million (my numbers could be well wrong - I don't track these things!). So what proportion of those were 360 upgraders and what proportion aren't? I'm guessing you have stats for that.

But most importantly, what data do you have to show why people were upgrading? That PS3 upgraders, whether more numerous than 360 upgraders or not, were unhappy with PS3? Because there are various interpretations even if more PS3 users have upgraded. eg. XB360 owners want to upgrade to XB1 but don't think it's good value yet. Or PS4 offers better software and more reasons to upgrade than XB1, so brand loyalists are less reserved about upgrading. Or 360 owners are afraid XB1 is going to bomb as a platform and are being more hesitant in choosing a replacement next-gen platform for their ageing 360s.

More PS3 owners upgrading to PS4 than 360 owners upgrading to XB1 can possibly be proven by stats, but your interpretation of the reasons why are going to be pretty hard to prove, and your assumption that yours is the only sensible explanation and everyone disagreeing has some agenda or emotional involvement makes for a pretty daft conversation. Claiming millions of unhappy PS3 owners is plain ridiculous.

You've already gotten reasonable responses as to why more PS3 owners have migrated versus 360 owners. The mis-steps on MS part have put 360 owners in play or in some cases MS enthusiast have opted to wait and see if MS can make a compelling case to buy the XB1.

PS3 owners haven't had the concerns that 360 owners have for a variety of reasons including, price, power and focus. One could also add the first party exclusives by Sony have been more consistent than what MS has done due to shifting their focus to Kinect titles and not really offering the core as much until Halo 4 came out which was met with mix reviews.

31+17% == 48%. So about half of PS4 buyers aren't PS3 upgraders, as from July. Sales were at, what, 8 million then? So you'd be looking at 4 million PS3 upgraders. At the same time, XB1 was at, what, 5 million (my numbers could be well wrong - I don't track these things!). So what proportion of those were 360 upgraders and what proportion aren't? I'm guessing you have stats for that.

That data needs qualifiers because the question asked was what consoles do you currently own. It didn't take account if you sold your PS3, 360 or Wii to purchase a PS4, gave your old gen console away or chunked it into the trash.

And I posted data from an earlier nielson study that had more detailed information.

That's true. Could have lots of PS3 owners keeping their PS3. For the sake of RancidLunchmeat's theory, we can assume the worst and it still isn't that bad versus 360 owners (depending on whatever numbers one chooses to represent 360 owners upgrading given no such data, only X1 sales).

You refer to me as a Sony supporter and make statements about PS3 owners upgrading to PS4. Well, the irony of this is I've come from owning ONLY as 360 the previous generation to owning a PS4 and a WiiU this one. I didn't cling onto my 360, does that mean, by your own logic, I was an "unhappy 360" owner? No, it doesn't.

You really have to quit with the "MS supporters" and "Sony supporters", by suggesting that people fall in either category means that you only expect people to stick with either manufacturer. The truth is that people switch all the time and feel no loyalty.

Were the "Sony supporters" always bashing Halo? I've owned all of the Halos, and previous Xboxes, I've just happened to not buy an Xbox One yet. I'm waiting for a good reason to.

I don't know why this is turning into a great debate of who is supporting PS4 and who is supporting XB1. Most XB360 users who were previous PC gamers are returning back to PC, while a great majority of PS2 supporters, previous XB360 owners are returning back to PS4. I would even venture to say; the vast majority of XB360 early success was owed by PC/PS2 users flocking to it. PC users for the unified gameplay and the latest and exclusives 1st person shooters and PS2 owners that were tired of PS2 graphics and who couldn't wait an additional year for PS3.

I think this statement has a lot of truth in it.

I've owned just about every console from every generation since the Spectrum (yes, I realise the Spectrum wasn't strictly a "console"). I even owned a CD32 at one point. Stop laughing at me.

So I do feel some frustration at being called a "Sony supporter/fanboy".

The point of this whole discussion for me is that I see a definite increase of interest in Sony for the current generation. Microsoft probably did so well last time because Sony came out a year later with a weaker machine. Both of those elements have been fixed this time and It's worked out very well for them.

I think it's completely fair to be both a PS4 owner and look to see that the numbers are definitely in Sony's favour, while not being a "Sony supporter". Sony are doing very well this generation, does that mean Microsoft will flop or that the Xbox One is a bad console? No, it doesn't mean either.

Let's just not let ourselves get ignorant of the numbers. PS3 owners aren't obliged to buy a PS4, nor are Xbox 360 owners obliged to buy an Xbox One. There's plenty of switchover in both directions, it just so happens to be more heavily weighed in one. The reason is not that PS3 owners are more unhappy than their 360 owning counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back