All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo Pr

Mario Kart 8 is Top-Selling Game in June, Has Sold More than 885,000 Units in the U.S. in First Five Weeks

After firing out of the gate at the end of May, Mario Kart 8 had an even stronger second lap. The game was the top-selling physical software SKU in the U.S. in June, and sold more than 470,000 physical and digital units.This brings its lifetime total to more than 885,000 units in the U.S. alone. Mario Kart 8 is also driving new momentum for the Wii U platform and its library of great titles, which includes an industry-best 15 games with a Metacritic score of 85 or higher. Sales of hardware and software in June 2014 were up 233 percent and 373 percent, respectively, over June 2013. For the first half of the year, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by 48 percent and 129 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013.

“These results reinforce the power of the Mario Kart franchise and speak to a bright future for the Wii U platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “History has shown that Mario Kart games tend to have an extremely long tail. We fully expect Mario Kart 8 to continue to drive momentum for our hardware and software business through the holidays and into the foreseeable future.”

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong month: Hardware sales in June increased by more than 55 percent over sales in May, and Tomodachi Life sold more than 175,000 combined physical and digital units after launching on June 6.

Looking ahead to the rest of 2014, Wii U has a great lineup of upcoming games and amiibo, Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category, that will help Nintendo build on its Mario Kart 8 momentum. Notable titles on the way include: Hyrule Warriors (Sept. 26), Bayonetta 2 (October), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Holiday) and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Holiday). Likewise, three of the most anticipated games of the year are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS in 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Oct. 3) and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (Nov. 21).

Looks like Wii U hardware was about 140k. Very good by Wii U standards.

Edit: Actually I get Wii U =134k using this
For the first half of the year, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by 48 percent and 129 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013.

Aquamarine is agreeing with 140k though and since she knows I'll take that. Lots of margin for error when working with percentages and rounding.

3DS calculated at 150k so far.

Expected victory for PS4. Xbone will have the chance only in November and December.

The only way that I see that happening, is that the XB1 has a serious price cut or the PS4 becomes severely supply constrained during the holiday seasons.

WiiU 3rd then. If they had beaten XB1 i'm sure they would have said it.

The only way that I see that happening, is that the XB1 has a serious price cut or the PS4 becomes severely supply constrained during the holiday seasons.

Maybe Kinect will pull in some family sales during holiday times? It seemed to work for 360.

Not saying it'll happen, just grasping at straws.

Hardware numbers coming too slow for my impatient self...

A insider has confirmed X1 more than doubled by NPD though. I have X1 at 76k, so it's over 152k.

And obviously PS4 must be over that.

SnIv0PQ.png

Seriously??? Wow...

Maybe Kinect will pull in some family sales during holiday times? It seemed to work for 360.

Not saying it'll happen, just grasping at straws.

Hardware numbers coming too slow for my impatient self...

There are practically no Kinect games. It'll struggle to shift Bones this Christmas.

Sony have comprehensively outmanoeuvred MS. It's not just about console power, or developer tools, or price point, or exclusive software, or having a physically small and attractive device, it's about device perception.

Sony have tied up key third party titles in cross marketing deals. Like Destiny. Millions of Bungie fans who've been tied to Xbox for well over a decade now have a new Bungie game coming up. And not only is it multiplatform, and better on PS4, but it's being cross marketed with PS4. A pretty amazing oversight by MS.

MS execs who aren't gamers but who grew up in the age of TV dominance spent years positioning Xbox to fight a war that was always going to be bloodbath (just look at the folly that was Xbox Entertainment Studios). Meanwhile Sony were lining up their artillery piece by piece.

MS would have been in a far better position to control the living room if both the Xbox and Kinect had sold well from the start and been in a powerful position.

It's going to be a rough couple of years while MS heals their gaming backbone ... assuming they're given the time and money to do that.

Xbox needs a day1 patch right?
So MS knows the exact number of unique, new Xbox Ones logging in.
Hell, let's say 1 % of all Xbox Ones is stolen, should still give them an accurate number, no?

Tracking new day 1 patch downloads is a decent way of estimating sales that month, but hardly definitive. Late gifts, stolen units, retail shops perhaps setting up new kiosks. And do replacement units require the day 1 patch? I doubt that's how they got their survey sales, if that's what you were hinting at. They probably just monitored sales at a select number of retailers. I bet NPD's numbers will be more accurate, whether they're higher or lower.

Yeah. IMO they need to ditch HDMI-IN, IR, Kinect IN (not going to happen), that unnecessary gigantic case and get engineers who can get the PSU in the box.

So you want to turn the Xbox into a Playstation?

Turning the Xbox into a Playstation just accentuates the power differences. I agree they need to make the system cheaper so they can sell it cheaper, but getting rid of its unique features will just turn it into a poorer performing Playstation. MS needs to work on the software to differentiate, be it the OS, apps or games. Dropping a few component ports won't have much affect on the BOM.

Tommy McClain

So you want to turn the Xbox into a Playstation?

Turning the Xbox into a Playstation just accentuates the power differences. I agree they need to make the system cheaper so they can sell it cheaper, but getting rid of its unique features will just turn it into a poorer performing Playstation. MS needs to work on the software to differentiate, be it the OS, apps or games. Dropping a few component ports won't have much affect on the BOM.

Tommy McClain

That's true, but that is exactly what PS fans want and that is the path MS has already agreed to go down - first with their reversal of policies and second with the unbundling of Kinect.

I know you (and others) disagree, but I firmly believe we'll see the Xb0x drop to $349 after the holidays and when the drop to $299 comes with a hardware redesign that redesign will not include HDMI-in or Kinect-in, both will be completely removed from the motherboard. In addition to whatever other cost saving measures and feature deletions they can make. Their only battleground at this point is price and that means either huge subsidies or scrapping features or both.

This certainly is interesting, I'm wondering (out loud) why Titanfall hasn't moved more hardware.....

I didn't buy it because it didn't have a proper campaign mode. I don't buy games just for a competitive only mode.

Tommy McClain

Some people expected this unbundling to launch the XB1 back ahead of the PS4, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Not I. It needed a proper price drop. The special Kinect bundles at $450 & less were a much better indication where they should have priced the system, but they needed to make baby steps now by creating the non-Kinect bundle & make official price drops in the fall when they usually make them.

Tommy McClain

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/17/june-2014-npd-ps4-and-xbox-one-have-another-strong-month-as-watch-dogs-tops-charts/

1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)

This is incredibly interesting to me, because it shows quite a quandary for MS. What I mean by that is that they are losing the Next-Gen battle on sports and shooters to Sony quite clearly.

This is very bad for MS because that is their target demographic, that is where the 360 excelled. It is also important because while you'll get only two GTA's in an 8 year console generation, you'll get a new sports and shooter sequel each year. Also, sports and shooters are often played with others. This leads the all important "which console are my friends on?" purchasing motivation.

On the other hand, they are continuing to maintain a virtual stranglehold on sports and shooters with the 360 console.

So this could mean a couple of things:
Those sports and shooter fans that have made the jump to next gen have chosen the PS4 in large numbers over the Xb0x.
Or, that there's a disproportionate number of PS3 users that have jumped to next gen compared to 360 users.

What MS needs to do is move those 360 numbers to Xb0x numbers and they need to figure out how to do that quickly, because even a slow bleed of 360 to PS4 users will put them in a situation where it eventually reaches a critical mass and MS will lose their primary demographic of being the console for fans of sports and shooters. If that happens, MS doesn't have much else.

IMO, what MS needs to do - possibly even before a price cut to $349 (or as proposed by Rangers, $299) is get those 360 users to "trade up", and they should motivate them by giving them trade-in credits. $100 might be enough. Although, that does bring into the past discussions about backwards compatibility and I'm not sure that even $100 would be enough for all those 360 users who are still propping up the 360 software sales to give up their 360s and their entire games library. It may take $150. Trade in your 360 for $150 credit to an Xb0x. Makes the Xb0x $349 or $249 and $249 is probably too low, so maybe they can tier the trade-in depending upon the sku purchased.

Either way, looking at these sales numbers and the demographics represented by the games, I'd be looking to move those 360 users over before I'd give a general price break to everybody. Even if it meant giving a larger trade-in value than you'd normally give as a price cut.

PS4 still outsold Xbox One despite the price cut.This just proves that Microsoft should have designed a 4TF console in the first place. It's too late, of course, to start over again, so I guess Microsoft must deal with Xbox One being the second most selling console this generation.

PS4 still outsold Xbox One despite the price cut.This just proves that Microsoft should have designed a 4TF console in the first place. It's too late, of course, to start over again, so I guess Microsoft must deal with Xbox One being the second most selling console this generation.

Or, they could do the smart thing and compete on price and leverage their current 360 base by incentivizing them to switch over as quickly as possible to slow or even reverse the bleed of switching platforms to the PS4.

MS certainly still has options at this point, beyond scrubbing the entire console and starting over and beyond simply giving up.

The power difference is real, and I think will continue to be evident throughout this generation. However, it isn't large enough to justify a $50 premium for a PS4. Meaning that if they can undercut the PS4 by $50 they'll be able to retain enough of their current base to make it a competition and that will be determined by exclusive content.

Whether they are satisfied at being a distant second but still be profitable or they'd rather burn money to gain (or maintain) market share is really the question we are all waiting to see MS answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back