All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrade path for BF4 from PS3 to PS4, might also skew numbers in favour of KZ in regards to bundles and plain PS4 deal.

Now that's interesting. Earlier we learnt that adoption rate wasn't massive, like around 25% IIRC. For a million sales, either that adoption rate has changed (BF4 is borked so BF4 owners are getting KZSF instead :p), or PS4's are selling in considerable numbers (like 4 million already :oops:) or some mix of the two.

Usually the kz bundle is ranked below any other game bundle (such as BF4) on amazon sales charts that I recall. Which I always find a reminder the power of exclusives is overrated.

No telling really, but that site doesn't seem trustworthy.

Now that's interesting. Earlier we learnt that adoption rate wasn't massive, like around 25% IIRC. For a million sales, either that adoption rate has changed (BF4 is borked so BF4 owners are getting KZSF instead :p), or PS4's are selling in considerable numbers (like 4 million already :oops:) or some mix of the two.

Or ... The 25% number only included physical copies in the US. This million plus number includes regions outside of the US and includes Digital sales. As was mentioned earlier, NPD game sales numbers are nearly entirely meaningless for nextgen.

Although true, is there reason to believe a massive skewing of interest towards KZSF in other territories? VGChartz suggests otherwise (KZ franchise sells most in NA), although who knows if they have real numbers on this or are just making them up.

2 million consoles would place KZSF at 50% adoption, which seems high for the franchise. That'd also need as many digital download sales as disc sales, which again seems high to me.

3 million consoles would position KZSF as 33% of the userbase, with, assuming 25% hard purchases like US once again, 8% digital downloads, which seems more likely in my estimation. We had 250k sales for NA for PS4 in one December week, so for the whole world, 3 million by now seems possible.

For what it's worth; KZSF has a great attachment rate with initial PS4 buys. IIRC, if 7-8 PS4's came into GameStop, then sold, 4 KZSF went out as well. But that's just dealing with GameStop...

Went shopping for my little one last night at Toy's R Us, KZSF was sold out... however, a truck is coming in later. Luckily, I got my copy weeks ago...

Edit: Also, any numbers on Ryse? The attachment rate at GameStop is somewhat terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt this just a repeat RFOM in terms of attachment? I imagine there would be a strong demand for at least 1 exclusive with a console purchase. KZ is a known 1st party franchise, a next gen exclusive and a realization of what KZ2 should of been but couldnt, a launch title.

It's only a matter of interest because a couple of weeks back, KZSF was showing only a 25% attach ratio, which'd mean 500k units across 2 million consoles. To hit 1 million units sold, something is different to that 25% NPD attach rate.

It's only a matter of interest because a couple of weeks back, KZSF was showing only a 25% attach ratio, which'd mean 500k units across 2 million consoles. To hit 1 million units sold, something is different to that 25% NPD attach rate.

The be pedantic, using NPD numbers it was less than 24%; less than 270K KS:SF units over 1138K PS4 units = 23.72 % for physical copies.

So worldwide if PS4 is at 3 million units and KS:SF is at 1 million units then overall attach rate is 33%. If the NPD physical attach numbers apply overall, then that would imply 720K physical copies sold and 280K digital copies, for a roughly 72% to 28% split between physical to digital.

I think that's a great sign for digital sales being at that high a percentage.

Although if the PS4 is only 2.4 million units and KS:SF is at 1 million then overall attach rate is 41.67%. If the NPD physical attach numbers apply overall, then that would imply 576K physical copies and 424K digital copies, for roughly a 58% to 42% split between physical to digital.

This is an amazing sign for digital sales being at that high a percentage.

Of course it could mean several other things:
A) NPD software sales numbers are garbage
B) Article indicating 1 million KS:SF is garbage.
C) Non-preorder PS4 buyers favor KS:SF more than the preorder PS4 buyers

I do not think case B applies.

And we still don't know for sure that the 1 million figure includes any digital sales at all. It may just be retail units plus game packs.

So if there's 0 digital sales included in that, then the numbers would be exceedingly great for the follow up sales, higher than 57%.

US NPD PS4 (November) = 1.138 million
World Wide PS4 (to date) = 2.4 million

23.72% = less than 270K KZ:SF out of 1138K PS4 in North America November
57.84% = more than 730K KS:SF out of 1262K PS4 WorldWide (November and December).

So if there's 0 digital sales included in that, then the numbers would be exceedingly great for the follow up sales, higher than 57%.

US NPD PS4 (November) = 1.138 million
World Wide PS4 (to date) = 2.4 million

23.72% = less than 270K KZ:SF out of 1138K PS4 in North America November
57.84% = more than 730K KS:SF out of 1262K PS4 WorldWide (November and December).

There's definitely something going on that we aren't getting the big picture on. I'm wondering whether the 1 million figure has been misrepresented in that it is shipped to retail and not sold?

Or there are a lot more PS4's out there than we know about.

There's definitely something going on that we aren't getting the big picture on. I'm wondering whether the 1 million figure has been misrepresented in that it is shipped to retail and not sold?

Or there are a lot more PS4's out there than we know about.

I completely agree that there's definitely something wrong with what we're being told.

Wouldn't you think if there's more PS4s out there, Sony would be using that number instead of "2.4 million"? Or is that press number only representing how many have been connected for the updates?

Wouldn't you think if there's more PS4s out there, Sony would be using that number instead of "2.4 million"?
That press release is from Green Man Gaming. They may not have access to sales figures and are just speculating that figure. :???:

The 2.4 Million figure could be pulled from the metrics they generate about PSN users for PlayFire. It wouldn't include PS4s sold that haven't gone online, which could be significant, given the number presumably under the tree right now waiting to be opened Wednesday.

It's probably a compilation of different numbers. Sony has had a number of launches since it released its 2 million figure. If you have some ideal of how many ps4s were released in those territories you have an ideal of how many ps4 have been shipped into the wild.

Personally I think it's too low as I doubt Sony going to release 600k more ps4s the last week of dec. I don't think that number represents Sony's resupply efforts in currently supported regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or ... The 25% number only included physical copies in the US. This million plus number includes regions outside of the US and includes Digital sales. As was mentioned earlier, NPD game sales numbers are nearly entirely meaningless for nextgen.

They aren't entirely meaningless. They just represent what they always have, physical sales.

I'm sorry but I have no ideal why we should give insiderp anymore crendence than vgchartz. Any credible effort to track physical and digital sales across the globe is going to take some real effort and is highly unlikely to be given away for free.

Killzone is heavily bundled in Europe, the attach rate will be very high here. A lot of the time the only way to get a PS4 is by buying the Killzone bundle.

Of those million purchases a large proportion are people who just ended up with it in a bundle. I wouldn't read too much into the 1m figure quoted.

Also, Sony are probably sitting somewhere near 3.5-3.8m sold globally right now. An additional 1.4-1.7m more than the 2.1m announced on the 1st, in that time they have had the Asian and smaller European nation launches, as well as additional major restocks in the US and Europe (see Spanish sales of 54k in just two weeks as a good example of just how many are being shipped).

Killzone is heavily bundled in Europe, the attach rate will be very high here. A lot of the time the only way to get a PS4 is by buying the Killzone bundle.
There was two official Killzone bundles in the UK alone. One with the game, the other a Mega Pack with a second DualShock4 and the PS camera so yeah, Sony were pushing Killzone hard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back