Alan Wake 2 [XBSX|S, PC, PS5] 17th october 2023

Oh, isn’t that what the max pre-rendered frames (low latency mode) setting is meant to fix?

If you watch the vid capping works better than those driver latency modes, even if you lose frames. There’s a future reflex video that shows it’s as good as capping.

Edit: also I’m not sure if those latency modes in drivers work in dx12.

Last edited:
If you watch the vid capping works better than those driver latency modes, even if you lose frames. There’s a future reflex video that shows it’s as good as capping.

Edit: also I’m not sure if those latency modes in drivers work in dx12.

Good point on DX12, they only work on DX9 and DX11.

The findings in the video make sense to me. If your GPU is idling then it's more likely that it can immediately start processing a frame submitted by the CPU. If it's running all out then there's a greater chance that it's still busy with the previous frame and therefore the CPU needs to wait a bit.

However, this only helps with latency not overall visual clarity and smoothness of the presentation which are also important. One strange thing about the video is that frame capping reduces latency by multiple frames which doesn't really make sense if ULL mode is working as expected. At best it should reduce latency by less than one full frame vs ULL mode.

Good point on DX12, they only work on DX9 and DX11.

The findings in the video make sense to me. If your GPU is idling then it's more likely that it can immediately start processing a frame submitted by the CPU. If it's running all out then there's a greater chance that it's still busy with the previous frame and therefore the CPU needs to wait a bit.

However, this only helps with latency not overall visual clarity and smoothness of the presentation which are also important. One strange thing about the video is that frame capping reduces latency by multiple frames which doesn't really make sense if ULL mode is working as expected. At best it should reduce latency by less than one full frame vs ULL mode.

The way I generally do it is setting a cap just below my refresh rate (gsync) and then lowering settings until my gpu is around 85-90%. Usually that'll cover situations where something crazy happens and you get a utilization spike. With games that support reflex I just let it go all out.

With Special K you can use Reflex+Boost in practically any game. HDR too that works much better than MS's AutoHDR.

With Special K you can use Reflex+Boost in practically any game. HDR too that works much better than MS's AutoHDR.

Didn't realize special k allowed you to inject reflex. That's very interesting. I've never used it because I play mostly multiplayer games, so I didn't like the idea of a global injector. I think you can target specific games without the global injector, but I never spent much time looking into it. Reflex support might change that, and I'm reading their framerate limiter is better than even the one in RTSS.

Edit: @Reynaldo Took a look at special K. Very cool. Interestingly enough, Alan Wake 2 uses Reflex automatically if it's supported, it just doesn't expose it as a menu option. Special K reported that it was using Native Reflex. I noticed the game has a mouth smoothing option now, so I turned that off, but the mouse input still feels a bit delayed. It's weird. It must be something about how they've setup camera control.

Last edited:
Need a child friendly mod.... Replacing the scary stuff with teletubbies or something.

I'm way too scared to continue playing

The very loud and fast fade-ins of distorted faces in Alan Wake 2 can be scary.

The scariest game I know is Alien: isolation. There is also supposed to be a very scary section in Resident Evil and. Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty also had a section that reminded me of Alien: Isolation.

Games from the first perspective have the potential to be more sinister. It's different whether the alien stands in front of you and takes up a large part of the picture or remains small as in the third perspective.

Back