Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

The digital foundry video dropped on PS5.

Quality is 4k with internal res of 1270p30
Performance is 1440p with internal res of 847p60

Both modes stick close to their targets but there are a few areas with performance issues (27+ on quality, 50+ on performance)

Outrage cycle of 480p was bogus. Who knew? :ROFLMAO:

Lol. This is why we wait for the games to actually come out instead of losing our shit based on a recommended specs chart.
It doesn't matter. I promise, people will not learn. The next major PC release will have people taking the requirements charts as gospel all over again, without fail. PC gamers seem to have some bizarre mental block when it comes to this that prevents them from learning to not take them seriously and to just wait for the game to come out to find out about performance. It's wild.

Game requires a lot of VRAM if you're ray tracing.

1698330626316.png

Has to be said that the low settings look very good based on the techpowerup image comparison tool. They really didn't compromise the experience much and the performance scales up quite a bit.

It doesn't matter. I promise, people will not learn. The next major PC release will have people taking the requirements charts as gospel all over again, without fail. PC gamers seem to have some bizarre mental block when it comes to this that prevents them from learning to not take them seriously and to just wait for the game to come out to find out about performance. It's wild.

I see where you're trying to go with that and please don't conflate people who take detailed recommended requirements sheets like the one provided here as a genuine indicator of real world performance with people who complain about a games performance based on those requirements sheets. They are entirely unrelated viewpoints.

Going back to our earlier discussion on spec sheets, we can in fact see that the published Alan Wake requirements are a pretty reasonable indicator of how the game will run at those settings. Whether someone thinks that is a good or a bad thing is a different conversation entirely.

Yep. We got real figures for a change. Often It’s the opposite. The recommendations are way too optimistic in delivering the performance they outline.

I've seen some clips and it looks like on low preset that post processing may still be set to high. Really curious what it looks like if you lower that setting and how much performance you get back.

Game requires a lot of VRAM if you're ray tracing.

One interesting note in the review is they mention certain settings are not exposed in the game but you can edit the config file to get better fidelity.
Not sure why Remedy made such a choice—it will just antagonize players. What makes things worse is that the sharpening filter that's part of both upscalers is disabled, but can be enabled manually with a config file edit. Still, we want native, just as an option, even if it comes with a performance hit. The good thing is that you can enable this in settings manually, by changing m_eSSAAMethod to 0 or 1.

During gaming, even with DLAA enabled, and Motion Blur and Film Grain disabled, I noticed that at sub-4K resolutions the game looks quite blurry, like there was a hidden upscaler at work. I played with all the settings options—no improvement. After digging through the config file I noticed that there's several important settings that aren't exposed in the settings menu, no idea why. Once I set m_bVignette, m_bDepthOfField and m_bLensDistortion to "false," the game suddenly looked much clearer. If you plan on playing Alan Wake 2 definitely make those INI tweaks manually.

A fuck Lot of perf IS gained by going to Low Post Processing - which is what PS5 does too

I've seen people mentioning that for example 1080p->4k upscaled doesn't have as good performance as native 1080p because DLSS/FSR2 have a performance hit, but I was just assuming it was because post processing is done after upscale and probably has a big hit on its own.

One other odd thing I noticed in TPU's benchmark data...
4060Ti 16GB beating all the other cards has to be from the extra 4GB of VRAM.

Odd to see the 7700XT hanging in tough though, as if it's not running into VRAM pressure the way the other cards are, especially since AMD cards tend to use more VRAM for the acceleration structures and such when raytracing. I wonder if this title has the same issue a lot of recent ones do, where if you change settings 'on the fly' without restarting the game it uses extra VRAM over what it normally would?

Fun to see the 2080Ti beating the 3080 10GB at 1440p too, that extra 1GB of VRAM's coming in clutch.

1698347143498.png

Back