Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kratos outsides cutscenes :

hl4w7zeueyr01.png
Lol, my eyes went superwide when I saw the first picture, and I gasped in astonishment! You got me for half a second, haha!

More seriously :

GodOfWar_04_Framerate.png

I see no differences. I think that we can safely say that Kratos is the most impressive model ever created during gameplay.
Indeed.

In my opionion the iris often looks flat/pasted on/2d like

GodOfWar-10.jpg

god-of-war-_6028795[1].jpg

The picture above my comment is very dark and one can barely see the iris there. Maybe it depends very much on the lighting mood but there are many scenes.

Attachments

• godofwar4borbablogroll-1523465924223[1].jpg
    godofwar4borbablogroll-1523465924223[1].jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Some lighting mood offers better highlights and shadow coverage than others, just like in real life, news at 11. Not saying Kratos eye shading is as good as real life or anything but certainly pretty damn far from ME's eye shading.

Honestly, the old man excepted, i'm not that impressed by Detroit models. Eye shaders look very good though. It's one of the only real weakness in the Kratos model.

With the Detroit models it is also tricky. The androids presumably look slightly more artificial than the humans on purpose?

Kratos model keeps on impressing me, you can argue it's not the most realistic due to artistic choice but the quality of the pixel, model detail, texture detail, shading are seriously top notch.
godofwar_201804232244zmpkq.png

godofwar_201804260042kopfo.png

godofwar_201804260045cwpzx.png

you can argue it's not the most realistic due to artistic choice but the quality of the pixel, model detail, texture detail, shading are seriously top notch.

Graphics and art are completely related to technical aspects and are not dissociable.

When a game has good visuals, it's always because the developers made the most rational/optimal choices to obtain those results.
Some people think games need fancy tech to be impressive, but it's completely ridiculous.

The best developers are those who make the smartest use of the hardware and the best optimization of the available resources to obtain the best possible results in front of your screen : this is what i call a technical achievement.

If your game use a fancy technology :

1) It doesn't mean your game is well optimized. See Unity at launch.

2) It doesn't mean that choice was the most optimal. If you have to run your game at 720p because of this choice, then it was a bad choice.

Saying that a game looks good just because of art is simply a strawman argument.

Last edited:
The best rendering programmers are those who are developing completly new stuff with which they advance technology. Of course it is also important to combine this new stuff into one game. Some things may work fine alone but it in a complete build it breaks the game.

Without new stuff there would be little to no progress. Someone who only does something that has already been done may be good but not the best. And it is even unwise if solved problems are solved again.

Last edited:
That's nonsense and insulting to the large number of high-quality engine programmers implementing the research of academics and finding better ways to integrate layers and layers of new ideas into cohesive engines. A lot of rendering ideas go back years, and only get to appear now in games because the people non inventing them are finding ways to implement them as part of the whole engine. The number of people developing completely new stuff is probably...ten? Or do you count experimenters coming up with new, inefficient, unusable alogirthms to do quirky stuff?

I'm talking about the best ones who do a lot of R&D and of which the papers are always read by others to build on. Why is this insulting? If I'm not the best in my area that's not an insult to me. And like I said it has to work in the game. I could also say that it is offensive to other developers if someone who gets the most time, ressources and money and can automatically polish his game is the best. Then one should not make such assertions about the best developers which lead to nowhere because then there wouldn't have been such a reaction.

As far as graphics is concerned Epic and DICE have currently concentrated most of the best among the game developers. Crytek had many once but they're widley spread now. Of those who worked on Crysis 1 hardly anyone is left.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the best ones who do a lot of R&D and of which the papers are always read by others to build on. Why is this insulting?
Because you're belittling those who are talented but have a fundamentally different job. You can be talented in inventing a rendering method. You can be talented adapting that in an actual game to a hardware where it doesn't fit very well. You may be an awesome engine developer but your job doesn't involve R&D and you haven't time or budget to work on it, but you enjoy it and don't want to move to a research position at nVidia or wherever.

What your saying is kinda like saying Apple's hardware engineers aren't that great because all they did was take existing tech with the iPhone - they didn't invent touch screens or Gorilla Glass or ARM processors.

There are also academics researching new algorithms with no great ability to create a complete, efficient, workable, scalable engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back