Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a specific picture about hair too
DetroitBecomeHuman-17.jpg

The character model is very good but Kratos' eyeshading reminds me of this (ME: Andromeda):
Kratos.png

Face could also use higher resolution textures and the model could have more triangles since and ears and the head are a bit angular although it is by far the main character.

Gears of War doesn't look good, of course. I never liked that

Cinematics are almost never gameplay because the lighting is specially adapted so that the face is perfectly lit.

Last edited:
The character model is very good but Kratos' eyeshading reminds me of this (ME: Andromeda):

Face could also use higher resolution textures and the model could have more triangles since and ears and the head are a bit angular although it is by far the main character.
Not sure if serious tho. Does this look remotely close to Andromeda's eye shading?
https://abload.de/img/image_god_of_war-35802gpxd.jpg
And the texture res is probably the highest I've seen on any game to date. Overall model poly count is incredibly high you can even see each individual abs and anterior serratus are modeled instead of a normalmap. It might have some odd poly edges here and there (what game model doesn't lol?) but in terms of overall package it's probably unmatched apart from maybe Detroit main characters.

Cinematics are almost never gameplay because the lighting is specially adapted so that the face is perfectly lit.

But we are far from this :

rottr1-visual-fidelity.jpg

riseofthetombraider05lxkxv.jpg

Which means models and effects that are specially created for real-time cutscenes. There's nothing like that in God of War.

Do we even have seamless cinematics in ROTR ?

Last edited:
But we are far from this :

rottr1-visual-fidelity.jpg

riseofthetombraider05lxkxv.jpg

Which means models and effects that are specially created for the real-time cutscenes. There's nothing like that in God of War.

Do we even have seamless cinematics in ROTR ?

Of course the differences are not as huge as in this example but mostly games still have higher quality shadow maps etc. in cutscenes. As far as I remember the transitions in Uncharted 4 were seamless as well and there were clear differences in the lighting, the shadows and the SSS. SSS was sometimes completely disabled in gameplay and shadows flickered. In the cutscenes everything was very high quality.

Not sure if serious tho. Does this look remotely close to Andromeda's eye shading?
https://abload.de/img/image_god_of_war-35802gpxd.jpg
And the texture res is probably the highest I've seen on any game to date. Overall model poly count is incredibly high you can even see each individual abs and anterior serratus are modeled instead of a normalmap. It might have some odd poly edges here and there (what game model doesn't lol?) but in terms of overall package it's probably unmatched apart from maybe Detroit main characters.

In the screenshots I have compared the eye shading looks similar to ME Andromeda. If the eyes were similarly wide open it would even look almost the same.

I don't think he has the best face textures. Some of this already looks very compressed. For example I would say that Drake is better there.

You do realize eye shading could look different under all kinds of lighting condition right? Sometimes they just look a bit more opaque than others. Now the picture I linked clearly showed subtle shadows, highlights, SSS and veins where they're completely missing in Andromeda's. What this tells you is that the eye shading under the right condition can look stellar, there's no need for you to cling onto some selective shots to prove a point because it's now proven otherwise.
Could you also highlight where his face texture is compressed? We're not in PS360 era where we use 512x512 UV maps, I really don't think you know what you're talking about at this point.

Of course the differences are not as huge as in this example but mostly games still have higher quality shadow maps etc. in cutscenes. As far as I remember the transitions in Uncharted 4 were seamless as well and there were clear differences in the lighting, the shadows and the SSS. SSS was sometimes completely disabled in gameplay and shadows flickered. In the cutscenes everything was very high quality.

Not all cutscenes were seamless in Uncharted 4. Also, there's no camera cuts in God of War. The camera always rotates around Kratos. There really is not a single trick.

For instance :

This cutscene is seamless, but the camera always changes its view. There's nothing like that in God of War.

Last edited:
shader quality can change witout a cut though, it's observable in UC4, sometimes when a cutscene ends with the camera rotating to gameplay position, you can see a lighting and shading change on Drake's model.

Indeed, but when they could do that in God of War ? There's not a single cut since the beginning of the game until the end.

In your example, the superior shaders could be loaded from the previous cut.

Not all cutscenes were seamless in Uncharted 4. Also, there's no camera cuts in God of War. The camera always rotates around Kratos. There really is not a single trick.

For instance :

This cutscene is seamless, but the camera always changes its view. There's nothing like that in God of War.

Thanks and now I know what you mean. That's an interesting point. I haven't seen that in a relatively current game yet (cannot remember all games I've seen).

In Uncharted the differences in quality are clear in these two videos. So far the transitions looked better made in God of War.

You do realize eye shading could look different under all kinds of lighting condition right? Sometimes they just look a bit more opaque than others. Now the picture I linked clearly showed subtle shadows, highlights, SSS and veins where they're completely missing in Andromeda's. What this tells you is that the eye shading under the right condition can look stellar, there's no need for you to cling onto some selective shots to prove a point because it's now proven otherwise.
Could you also highlight where his face texture is compressed? We're not in PS360 era where we use 512x512 UV maps, I really don't think you know what you're talking about at this point.

These are not specially selected pictures but published ones.

In my opinion facial textures are compressed a lot in this screenshot for example: https://abload.de/img/image_god_of_war-35802gpxd.jpg

The scar and the wrinkles are looking blurry.

Last edited:
Indeed, but when they could do that in God of War ? There's not a single cut since the beginning of the game until the end.

In your example, the superior shaders could be loaded from the previous cut.

I was not implying they do it in GoW, but they could if they wanted to, just load them when the camera is far from Kratos or when he is out of view for example.

But personnaly I have no problem with a character look less "shinny" during gameplay as it's not really needed.

Last edited:
Thanks and now I know what you mean. That's an interesting point. I haven't seen that in a relatively current game yet (cannot remember all games I've seen).

In Uncharted the differences in quality are clear in these two videos. So far the transitions looked better made in God of War.

In my opinion facial textures are compressed a lot in this screenshot for example: https://abload.de/img/image_god_of_war-35802gpxd.jpg

The scar is not blurry as in low res, it's an artistic direction to show a healed up scar which is not razor sharp in real world.
facial-scar-on-the-left-check-of-a-30-year-old-male-the-scar-was-caused-CRK1KR.jpg

As for wrinkles they varies in depth from different facial expressions as would in real life. It has very little to do with the UV map resolution they could afford, which is extremely high overall. To say Kratos face has low res texture is absolutely lunacy.

The scar is not blurry as in low res, it's an artistic direction to show a healed up scar which is not razor sharp in real world.
facial-scar-on-the-left-check-of-a-30-year-old-male-the-scar-was-caused-CRK1KR.jpg

As for wrinkles they varies in depth from different facial expressions as would in real life. It has very little to do with the UV map resolution they could afford, which is extremely high overall. To say Kratos face has low res texture is absolutely lunacy.

Well, I guess my opinion is in between: I can see a certain blobbyness, so to speak, to it. Overall, not just in the scar. But I don't think is looks that bad so that it deserves a mention as a negative aspect of the game (nor I will use the term "low res"), either, because the overall result is impressive.

Kratos outside cutscenes :

hl4w7zeueyr01.png

More seriously :

GodOfWar_04_Framerate.png

I see no differences. I think that we can safely say that Kratos is the most impressive model ever created during gameplay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back