4k resolution coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant remember exactly its a while ago, I do remember looking at my first IOS game
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vampire-balls/id519606069?mt=8
and definietly noticing the pixels, yes its harder when its moving but sometimes it makes them even stand out more eg a polygon moving over a high contrast background, the aliasing is very noticable. (30cm) true at 300dpi its way less apparent than 150dpi but its still there, I dont know what dpi you would need for it to disappear 600dpi perhaps?

If you look from a distance of one foot (12 inches), you can divide 11459 by 12, which is ~955 DPI. Of course, this would be pretty overkill (e.g. in theory you don't really need edge anti-aliasing at this resolution). In practice, it's better to do proper edge anti-aliasing with a good enough resolution, and focus on other factors such as color reproduction, contrast, etc.

On laser printers you have a choice between 300 and 600 dpi and well 300 is damn good enough. But maybe 600 is good for old people who need to read legalese small print with a looking glass, or it's like supersampling and would deal with noise patterns.

I had forgotten that I'd wanted to address this when it was originally posted. But figured I'd do it now. Printer DPI isn't directly comparable to PPI on monitors. For any given DPI/PPI number the dots will be significantly larger for a printer than for a monitor. due to printers having a requirement with regards to coverage. Each dot from a printer must overlap other dots otherwise you would end up with white gaps causing black to look more grey, for example.

This is even worse if you compare laser printers to inkjet printers as inkjet printers traditionally have significant bleed compared to laser printers.

Because of the above you also don't have to account for pixel separation as you do on monitor displays. No matter how close you get to a laser printed page you'll never see individual dots (except for color printers, which is why higher DPI is much more beneficial for color printing than for B&W printing) as you can with a monitor. What becomes possible to see is irregular sides on fonts and lines if the actual dots are too large. Which generally isn't a problem until you get to smaller font sizes.

So while PPI on monitors is concerned with how many non-overlapping pixels you can cram into a square inch, DPI on printers is concerned with how many overlapping pixels you can get into each square inch which leaders to larger dots and smaller pixels at the same numbers.

Regards,
SB

PPI on prints has more of an effect on the sub colours that change the shade/tone of the colour. Say a yellow with 1% cyan, 3% magenta and 80% yellow. The cyan and magenta dots will be pretty obvious if the PPI is not high enough when viewing up close, because such a small percentage means less dots are required and the spacing between them quite large. Of course, introducing other colours like Light cyan/magenta, orange, green etc will also help in eliminating how noticable these dots are as well as improving the accuracy of the colour. But... we're getting off topic now.

Incidentally telescopes resolution is measured in arc serconds or some fraction of that.

Size of the moon is 0.5 degree when we look at the sky, right?
Maybe 100 pixels is good for the moon, so a 50° FOV display would need 10000 pixels, 16000 pixel wide for 80° FOV. Ultra HD 8K would be made for a display that has 38.4° of your FOV? (which is maybe big)
Keep in mind that screens are usually flat not spherical, so the 80° FOV would require ~18000 pixels in this case.

If you look from a distance of one foot (12 inches), you can divide 11459 by 12, which is ~955 DPI. Of course, this would be pretty overkill (e.g. in theory you don't really need edge anti-aliasing at this resolution). In practice, it's better to do proper edge anti-aliasing with a good enough resolution, and focus on other factors such as color reproduction, contrast, etc.
Aliased edges (with sufficient contrast) would still be noticeable at that resolution due to hyperacuity. I.e. while you can't tell apart two dots separated by one pixel you still notice that the stairstep line segments are not perfectly aligned.

Hmm... very great :D

Panasonic Announces World's First 20-Inch 4K Tablet

Toughpad 4K UT-MB5: Key Features

• 4K Visual Experience: 20-inch IPS Alpha LCD screen with 3840x2560 pixel display featuring 230 pixels per inch and 15:10 aspect ratio
  • High-Performance Processing Power: Intel Core i5-3437U vPro processor with NVIDIA GeForce 745M GPU
  • Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Storage & Memory: 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and 2 GB VRAM
  • Connectivity & I/O: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1), USB 3.0, SDXC card slot, smart card reader, docking connector
  • Camera: 1280 x 720 pixel built-in front camera
  • Durability: Business-rugged with resistance to 12-inch drops to 26 angles (non-operating) and 30-inch drop to its back (operating)
  • Battery: 2 hours per MobileMark 2007 testing
  • Lightweight Portability: 5.27 lbs., 0.49 inch thick
The Toughpad 4K UT-MB5 will be available in January 2014 at a list price of $5,999

Would be amazing if used as a monitor with other systems...

Battery - 2 hours. Not really portable. And I don't know of any tablet with an HDMI in, which is a real shame. I suppose you can Miracast to it.

These could find some special niche applications (e.g. doctors viewing X-ray images) but with this price it's not really consumer ready.

Battery - 2 hours. Not really portable. And I don't know of any tablet with an HDMI in, which is a real shame. I suppose you can Miracast to it.

HDMI-in is a very rare feature, I can see one on the FM2A88X Extreme6+ motherboard (ATX) but no mention of the maximum res, it looks like it's a dumb switch simply to use the PC's monitor with another device (even if the PC is off)

If you use displayport for output and want to use a HDMI in, I suppose you need real HDMI capture, that's what the new Xbox has?, but there's cost and complexity to that.
I'm sure the tablet uses eDP, internally.

Miracast should do it ; I reckon you would rather want to use wired ethernet, or Wifi 60GHz to beam 4K.
It will probably be 802.11ad, with significant consumer availability in [strike]2014[/strike] [edit : 2015]. Maybe.. Also, it's same-room Wifi, which sucks if you wanted to stream across a house or company building but in the same room you won't suffer from crowded spectrum at least. It's instantly blocked by walls and the air's oxygen absorbs it.

I'm clueless about the power it uses. Will that tech become the next big hot thing then get ubiquitous, or will it be expensive and rare, I wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Display Sizes and Formats to Look for in 2014

1zd26qe.jpg

316m3bc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back