360: VF5 Playable Preview

Well they never patched MP into Virtua Tennis for the PS3 either. I'm going to guess that Sega got money hatted for this exclusivity.

always with the moneyhats... :LOL: ...

...OR maybe the implicit instructions already hardcoded into 360 for online modes made it a helluva lot easier/cheaper for them to have an online mode.

Most people seem not to want to recognize this feature in 360 but I see it as a factor this gen so far with regard to online modes.

Well they never patched MP into Virtua Tennis for the PS3 either. I'm going to guess that Sega got money hatted for this exclusivity.

Money hatted a game that is a 6 month PS3 exclusive come on. This is why we pay for xbox live. MS made it incredibly easy to add online play to games and provided the infrastructure. Maybe in the future when sony catches up with xbox live we will see games like this have online play.

I do love when ever the 360 gets any sort of love it is always money hatting. Maybe it is because 360 owners by ass loads of software and many 3rd parties make money off the 360. Maybe if PS3 owners would start buying games they would see some love.

...OR maybe the implicit instructions already hardcoded into 360 for online modes made it a helluva lot easier/cheaper for them to have an online mode.

Most people seem not to want to recognize this feature in 360 but I see it as a factor this gen so far with regard to online modes.

Because it's something you just made up.

Because it's something you just made up.

bull shit...

it is part of the 360 os that hooks for all of the 360 LIVE's features are available to devs by hooking into them rather than them having to build their own.

don't sit there and tell me A) that I'm lying, and B) that given the difference of spending 3 mos on one feature (online menus/voice/friends/matchmaking etc) or spending 3 weeks would not make a difference in your developiment.

I do love when ever the 360 gets any sort of love it is always money hatting. Maybe it is because 360 owners by ass loads of software and many 3rd parties make money off the 360.
I think its a faily simple fact that with ~12M consoles out there and over 6M online its easy for a publisher to see that the attach rate may well be higher with an online mode than without - especially when DOA4 has been out there for a year with these capabilities.

Well personally I am still wondering why other devs go for online play on both platforms with their games while SEGA completely omitted it in VT, a game that was simultaneously released on both platforms.

I doubt they are going to make a patch for the PS3 version. Probably PS3 owners have more chances seeing a newer version of VF5 released like VF4 Evo than a patch

Earlier they said that adding online in VF would render in big overhaul of the engine and system since it's very frame-dependant combat, hence a slight lag would ruin the game?

The 360 online features is'nt the most lagfree there is so I'll remain sceptical about this until official word from Sega.

Money hatted a game that is a 6 month PS3 exclusive come on. This is why we pay for xbox live. MS made it incredibly easy to add online play to games and provided the infrastructure. Maybe in the future when sony catches up with xbox live we will see games like this have online play.

I do love when ever the 360 gets any sort of love it is always money hatting. Maybe it is because 360 owners by ass loads of software and many 3rd parties make money off the 360. Maybe if PS3 owners would start buying games they would see some love.

Generally known for being a PS3 fan..., I have to agree with this. At this point in time, Sega isn't the kind of company that will implement its own online code, and getting VF5 working properly online is hard enough. They're probably thrilled with Live's SDK.

That said, sooner or later their games will get online on PS3 also. The question is whether or not we'll get it for VF5 on the PS3 or not. I somehow think either Microsoft or Sony will have something to do with that, more so than Sega themselves.

Generally known for being a PS3 fan..., I have to agree with this. At this point in time, Sega isn't the kind of company that will implement its own online code, and getting VF5 working properly online is hard enough. They're probably thrilled with Live's SDK.

That said, sooner or later their games will get online on PS3 also. The question is whether or not we'll get it for VF5 on the PS3 or not. I somehow think either Microsoft or Sony will have something to do with that, more so than Sega themselves.

The LIVE SDK does not magically make online work!

If they really did manage to pull this off. Someone had to do so VERY hard work writing a network protocol for this game that could handle internet latencies. This is the important part. And this is not something MS does for you. And this is by far the hardest part of making a game work online.

The type of team who could pull of such a feat could have easily put together a matchmaking equivalent for the PS3 version using Sony's SDKs. Lets not forget Sega already has Full Auto2 out of the PS3 and that game featured mutiplayer and matchmaking. That aspect of making a MP game is laughably easy compared to designing and implementing the network protocol for the fighting game itself.

The actual gameplay netcode component of the game, once finished, would have been easily portable. At the sockets communication level, there should be NO significant difference between the platforms.

So this is why it seems pretty obvious to me that if they choose not to do a PS3 port of this,they must have been paid not to.

The LIVE SDK does not magically make online work!

If they really did manage to pull this off. Someone had to do so VERY hard work writing a network protocol for this game that could handle internet latencies. This is the important part. And this is not something MS does for you. And this is by far the hardest part of making a game work online.

The type of team who could pull of such a feat could have easily put together a matchmaking equivalent for the PS3 version using Sony's SDKs. Lets not forget Sega already has Full Auto2 out of the PS3 and that game featured mutiplayer and matchmaking. That aspect of making a MP game is laughably easy compared to designing and implementing the network protocol for the fighting game itself.

The actual gameplay netcode component of the game, once finished, would have been easily portable. At the sockets communication level, there should be NO significant difference between the platforms.

So this is why it seems pretty obvious to me that if they choose not to do a PS3 port of this,they must have been paid not to.

you make some good points here but my original counter was also factoring in the lack of MP for Virtua Tennis which has no such latency issues.

however, I still think you are underestimating the ease of which MP is done on 360 and that it may in fact influence the dev process IMO more than a "moneyhat".

who was saying the frame timing would prevent this game from going online? ...owned

Seriously though, this is a very smart move. I, and a lot of other DOA4 players I know were not going to buy VF w/o. I don't care how imprecise it will end up getting online, I and every other online gamer knows that for every latency issue there is, a solution thats good enough to make the experience comparable to sp exists. And MP just ads so much to fighting games. Playing DOA4 I very often have matches where I could call the lag "non-existent" even though it was still probably anywhere from 15 to 80ms depending on the game. Which, could forsaken would give me only 2 or 3 frame counter timing :O

here's something else people usually don't consider (as far as timing goes). processing in most HDTV's (and some monitors) taxes anywhere from 10-50 ms between input and display. so if you are playing on a good monitor (say a FW900, sorry had to brag) that had no output delay, playing online would be roughly equal to playing on the average HDTV.

Our brains do a mighty fine job at interpolating motion and motion prediction. I think that even with higher latencies, players on MP could enjoy a great experience. And remember, in MP, you and your opponent have the exact same handicap.

Last edited by a moderator:
you make some good points here but my original counter was also factoring in the lack of MP for Virtua Tennis which has no such latency issues.

however, I still think you are underestimating the ease of which MP is done on 360 and that it may in fact influence the dev process IMO more than a "moneyhat".
It's official:

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/NewsStory/1569.htm

Again, what if this console did not have those reliability issues? What if.... I'm not interested in this game but I wonder these things myself.

It's official:

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/NewsStory/1569.htm

Again, what if this console did not have those reliability issues? What if.... I'm not interested in this game but I wonder these things myself.

Beautiful. Another Day 1 buy. This is going to be a busy fall. Just reflecting, but it seems that Sony is really behind on the ball. I'm sure their customers aren't too thrilled to see the once exclusive fighter on xbox360 with a major addition like this. Not to mention that this is the first time a VF on consoles had online play and MS got it first...

And as someone mentioned before, I also do not see why it could not be introduced to VF5 PS3 as a large patch.

Well if I recall correctly it was Sega's excuse for not implementing online for the PS3 version
Yep. Might be more claims, but here's one from 1up.

1up.com said:
1UP: In terms of versus play, you're not planning to put the game online, but are you thinking about using the PS3's online capabilities to offer things like microtransactions? In that way it would mirror the arcade experience somewhat, since you usually pay 100 yen ($1 U.S.) to customize your character within a certain time limit at a VF Terminal.

NS: This time we're not using any online functionality in the game.

1UP: AM2 has stated many times that the reason VF5 doesn't support online play is because the experience would be less than optimal, due to latency times and whatnot. But it doesn't take a mathematician to realize that if VF5 on home console did feature online play, that would threaten your thriving arcade business, which is dominant in Japan. After all, why would people pay to play and customize things in an arcade if they could do it for free at home online? How do you feel about that theory?

NS: That's totally not true. It is because of the delay experienced online, and because the environment and atmosphere of online play makes it impossible to re-create the gameplay as it is in the arcade version, and that's why we're not putting VF5 online.

At the end of the day I could give a shit about how the features get implemented. Whether it's money hat or due to a better platform, I only care that I'm getting the best value for my dollar.

At the end of the day I could give a shit about how the features get implemented. Whether it's money hat or due to a better platform, I only care that I'm getting the best value for my dollar.

Thats why PS3 owners scream: Why not us too :p

Back