360: VF5 Playable Preview

Not sure either. But at least its more dan 720. ;)

921600 vs 1048576 pixels? Meh. I think I would have preferred 1280x720 native support. I have no idea how they do AA and such (probably they need it like this), but rescaling 1024x1024 to 1280x720 isn't likely to give a very clean image. But then not too many people seem to be complaining! (Though I don't like its looks all that much so far)

Getting more used to the game ... Still have to get used to blocking a little, but I really like the movement, the ability to walk around freely (like Soul Calibur). It makes for a very fluent game. The actual movements and characters are extremely meh though, but I guess ultimately the depth makes up for it. Sometimes the hit detection seems to be really off, especially when playing the Ryu guy (or whatever he is called). The Shaolin guy sometimes kicks about 50cm in front of him and he still gets hit. There are a few more issues like that, but overall its decent. Haven't figured out countering yet, but I guess I could just look online for movelists. ;) Overall though, playing with the analog stick is a definite improvement over playing with the d-pad, and most of my Tekken skills seem to translate pretty well. I still wish though I could make my own! ;)

Yeah it certainly does take getting used to for a "Namco veteran".

I'm used to games where you can get by in a fairly straight-forward manner knowing a subset of the command list, even at high levels. I am a mean Jin - used to pop in a buck at the arcade in Tekken3/TTT days and be on there all day beating challengers! Granted that was in Darwin (population 80k) where I'm sure the world's finest didn't regularly meet up! I also got up to 500-odd survival characters on the PS1. Picking up Tekken5:DR on PSP, I found it really easy to dive straight in and kick ass, mastering the Dojo mode with 0 losses on my first run through.

VF though is a very different kettle of fish. The reviews really do hit the nail on the head in terms of stating "you get out what you put in"... all the characters are useful, and I can see myself wanting to master most of the different fighting styles. You can also see where you need to learn various skills even though you are doing "well", there are steady improvements in your style that can be made. In Tekken there were basically a handful of fighters that were "top tier" with most others being fairly obviously second-rate. Sure, there are always great people on average characters (I once lost to a great Gun Jack player in a mini-tournament :( ) but it's an uphill slope for people choosing those fighters. The down-side of the balancing in VF5 is of course you can't have a "breather" match in between fighting the best opponents!

After the disappointment that was SC2 (compared to the first) I wonder how SC4 will rate against VF5. I'm still very much a newbie at the game, however I can easily see this taking up many, many hours of my time. Hell, I haven't touched Halo3 or TF2 since I got this !

Definitely worth the cash for fighting game fans... we are a dying breed.

Definitely worth the cash for fighting game fans... we are a dying breed.

It's not our fault, but the game's fault. The VF and Tekken teams should have the guts to start completely fresh, design a completely new fighting game using the latest technologies. The difference between VF and Tekken today and 15 years ago is far, far too small. So many things can be improved. I'd know exactly what to do, someone should hire me. ;)

Just a question, I could swear in some comparasion (games radar?) the 360 version seemed had some normal maps reversed for some reason. :oops: Ie pointing inwards instead of out for veins.

Just a question, I could swear in some comparasion (games radar?) the 360 version seemed had some normal maps reversed for some reason. :oops: Ie pointing inwards instead of out for veins.

Yep noticed that too. I compared VF5 on my PS3 with that of my friends on the 360. This is mostly evident on Akira's hand

ss_preview_VF5_1080p1.jpg.jpg

Here is an image showing the effect

It's likely the difference between how OpenGL and DirectX handle normals in a normal map. They're flipped.

Then shouldn't every single normal be flipped?, and that would be a tad obvious.
Not that I've played VF5, but from the screens it does look like every single normal is flipped. Remeber that they are just locally flipped, as the tangent and normal vectors at the vertices won't be incorrect.

If I'm wrong, though, then one explanation would be that an artist flipped a few textures to make it look right, notified the engine guys, but forgot to flip it back.

Not that I've played VF5, but from the screens it does look like every single normal is flipped. Remeber that they are just locally flipped, as the tangent and normal vectors at the vertices won't be incorrect.

If I'm wrong, though, then one explanation would be that an artist flipped a few textures to make it look right, notified the engine guys, but forgot to flip it back.

I think you might be right, the 360 VF5 might have all the normal the wrong way around. I noticed things weren't exactly right when playing 360 version, didn't know why at the time.

The things I noticed were the lack of AF on 360 basically made the stages with flat floor blurry and some stages have inferior background, though that might be because the normal is flipped. I really don't know.

So did they fix this on the patch ? Shame really the 360 VF5 did worse than PS3 version even with online. At this rate I am not sure if I am going to see VF6.

I've tried the demo, but I really can't get into it. The characters don't seem to respond very quickly to my moves. Is there something wrong with the demo in that regard that anyone knows of? Or am I just not used to VF anymore? I'll try some different characters later, but I was really disappointed. The graphics really aren't all that either, but that's not that important.

You aren't doing your input accurately. Even with inaccuracy the game does recognized your input though, they have the fuzzy logic system since VF3. That's probably why you feel slight delay. If you input your command accurately and fast the action should be instant and you can even buffer the action for the next command so there isn't any delay for your next action. Fast and accurate commands are easier done with good arcade stick.

Back