360: VF5 Playable Preview

Lets not forget Sega already has Full Auto2 out of the PS3 and that game featured mutiplayer and matchmaking.

While I agree with the general conclusion of your post, I don't think SEGA has the shared technology infrastructure and company culture that would allow it to reuse code between studios. Surprisingly few large, multi-studio developers do.

While I agree with the general conclusion of your post, I don't think SEGA has the shared technology infrastructure and company culture that would allow it to reuse code between studios. Surprisingly few large, multi-studio developers do.

Well if AM2 is doing it on 360 that means AM2 has the ability to do it on PS3 too

Well if I recall correctly it was Sega's excuse for not implementing online for the PS3 version

That excuse always reeked of bullshit though.

When you have many other fighters online, claiming it 'not possible' for their specific game seemed pretty weak.

It should be much better because Japan is so small (relative to the US and Europe) and latency (lag) is a product of distance and network hops.

But does anyone in Japan even have a 360 to play it online?

Good thing the rumor turned out to be true. With the amount of games being released this fall that 360 owners could buy instead adding this feature is sure to get people attention.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...706104725817053&releaseId=2006122111543685040

・ Addition of Online Versus Mode
・ Addition of rank that only appears online
・ Support voice chats
・ Addition of online rankings
・ Ranking clip data (replays) can be browsed
・ More CPUs and balance adjustment in Quest Mode
・ More items to equip on the characters
・ Enhanced performance in DOJO Mode
・ Realized battles played by carrying in save data to VS Mode [the game will track your win/loss stats in versus mode, unlike the PS3 version]
・ Support controller vibration
・ Support analog stick
・ Additional recording of the commentary voice
・ Addition of commentary feature on EU version
・ Support Achievements and rich presence
・ Support downloading contents in the marketplace
・ Support Xbox 360 antaliasing

major features. The one thing anybody can like is taking your character around on a memory card.

Well if I recall correctly it was Sega's excuse for not implementing online for the PS3 version

Yup, but my comment was a bit of a jab at some forum goers who were VF veterans who absolutely assured us that VF Online simply couldn't be done without alien technology, and more importantly would never be done out of respect to the quality of the franchise.

It should be much better because Japan is so small (relative to the US and Europe) and latency (lag) is a product of distance and network hops.

But does anyone in Japan even have a 360 to play it online?

Distance is only really important when client/server distance is huge. In Japan, the reason they will have less lag is that they have rediculously good internet connections there. In tokyo offices use direct beam laser connections transmitted through the air via transmitters fired from high towers. Broadband penetration, is, to say the least, a bit less of a problem than it is here.

The question is, how much noise are PS3 owners willing to make to get their version of VF5 online for free?

Because I honestly cannot see Sega going out of their way to put this game online for PS3 owners without asking for an 'upgrade' fee.

I think a good business reason for Sega to do it is simply because it increases demand for the game, and provides a marketing boost from the additional press. In that sense, it could be in Sega's interest to announce PS3's online a little later.

Having said that, right now I'm more excited about Tekken Online, simply because I think Tekken 5 is awesome and I love the player dynamics, moves, and the game just plays awesome. I'm finding myself playing it more and more, and now even more so with online apparently coming in the near future.

More is better though, so I hope we'll get VF5 Online as well.

I think a good business reason for Sega to do it is simply because it increases demand for the game, and provides a marketing boost from the additional press. In that sense, it could be in Sega's interest to announce PS3's online a little later.

Having said that, right now I'm more excited about Tekken Online, simply because I think Tekken 5 is awesome and I love the player dynamics, moves, and the game just plays awesome. I'm finding myself playing it more and more, and now even more so with online apparently coming in the near future.

More is better though, so I hope we'll get VF5 Online as well.

Well, see, there is zero chance that the sales of the 360 version would suffer if they announced online for the PS3 version.

Who here thinks that anyone on the fence about 'which version to buy' would flock to the PS3 version pending an announcement of PS3 online battles? I'm pretty sure the majority of the people would still get it on 360. If anything, it would only improve PS3 version sales because people would be more enticed to buy a fighter with online, regardless of what fighter it is. Especially if they could beat T5: DR Online to the market.

But hey, what do I know, I'm only a consumer who listens to people talk about videogames all day long, not a big shot CEO who just wants money hats from the biggest companies on the block.

I mean that Sega gets press on VF5 when they announce the PS3 version, when they release the PS3 version, when they announce the 360 version, when they announce online for the 360 version, when they release the 360 version, etc.

All I'm saying is that should they announce PS3 online later, they'll get some more press-time. See? And I'm not a CEO either, just a technical consultant slaving away at some small IT company. ;)

I mean that Sega gets press on VF5 when they announce the PS3 version, when they release the PS3 version, when they announce the 360 version, when they announce online for the 360 version, when they release the 360 version, etc.

All I'm saying is that should they announce PS3 online later, they'll get some more press-time. See? And I'm not a CEO either, just a technical consultant slaving away at some small IT company. ;)

I see what you're saying now. I thought you were implying, originally, that announcing it would effect the sales of either version.

I stand corrected :)

It's out! Had my first real VF session last night, playing as Jackie for about two hours in the Quest mode.

I have to say... I found very easy, though I was only playing beginner and intermediate CPU opponents. I was expecting a steep learning curve based on the various VF feedback/elitists out there heh heh. Maybe I just picked an easy character to get into.

Also, this is sitting on a 90 at Metacritic so far, but none of the big sites have posted their thoughts just yet.

Back