[360, PS3] Crysis 2

It's a complicated issue - staying in first person can keep the level of immersion, make it feel somewhat interactive and I can see the good in these.

But cinematic tools like camera movement and editing can also have very strong emotional impact, or show the story in a more spectacular way. The reason you usually don't like it is that most studios don't have people with proper skills and experience and their camera work and editing are simply bad.
I totally agree with that. Some scenes are just better implemented in first person view (The "meeting Andrew Ryan" scene in Bioshock wouldn't have the same impact without this), but other scenes just work better and provide a more immerse experience if the designers know how to play well with the camera: Uncharted 2 shows a great example of how it's done right when the same train sequence is played from two different angles during the game.
There's certainly no point to sticking to only one method during game like some developers think - a game can employ both techniques.

There's also a big matter of personal preference in what looks better: A racing game from the cockpit camera, third person camera or action replay camera? Playing Oblivion in first person or third person view? the first person assassinations in Killzone 3 or the third person assassinations in Halo Reach? There's no definitive way to do things.

With games that stick in the first person view, I prefer the character to remain quiet. There's something jarring to me when a character speaks while I'm in his view and pulls me out of the game.
I guess it all depends on what voice you were expecting to hear VS what voice you actually hear when the character speaks for the first time. I can't say that when I first heard Duke Nukem speaking it pushed me out of the game - it actually played an important part in pulling me in. As long as it's done right I'm ok with it.

I disagree with the main character should have a voice. That will IMO destroy the immersion a little since an FPS are usually reliant on you the player as the focal point of the main character. I would feel detached if another person's voice has taken over my character. Get my drift? A 3rd person point of view is OK to have a voice since it seems like you are controlling that of a different character other then your self.

On my 2nd play through on supersoldier. Wow, this is intense but its not cheap and is more realistic. What I love about C2 then and any other FPS is the fantastic AI FOV. They can spot you a mile away so your cover tactics is critical.

The only thing that is subpar in this game is AI...AI in this game is a joke!

Oh, and I hoped for more destruction...I hope this increases during the game...

Did 7hr 20 mins on supersoldier difficulty, add 1 hour (or half more to that) extra for the retries. The difficulty itself is not cheap, however, the AI is retarded.

Sure the AI are dumb, but what FPS out there that are any good in terms of AI?

Is it just me or when you shoot a human soldier they go still for like 5 second and then drop dead? They need to patch this up.

Hammering through pretty fast now, and i must say, the New York at night looks missions/levels look absolutely fantastic, especially with all the lightiing effects doing their thing, truly gorgeous. Framerate aswell just seems to be so much better than the 1st half of the game. I'm wondering if the lighting has something to do with this? Day/noon levels are choppy, whereas night levels are much much better?

I don't know exactly what happens at the end, but to me, it seems like Alcatraz is just the body in the suit. Prophet's DNA is embedded in the suit and sort of takes over, maybe because Alcatraz was a dying man. When they put Alcatraz in that deep layer suit scanner thing, it showed that he was badly wounded and the suit's cells or whatever were healing into his wounds. At the end, he speaks, but he calls himself "Prophet". That's why I think Crytek didn't show or make Alcatraz speak, because he's just a temporary character so to speak and just the body in the suit.

And more in the spoiler chain.
If you follow the story closely, you'll know that Alcatraz is dead and was basically dead soon after Prophet put him into the suit. You also get little hints along the way. For example, the people that knew Alcatraz in the past make little comments now and then about how odd he's acting. As well how he never corrects people that mistake him for Prophet. Likewise he never corrects people that mistake him for Alcatraz. Because he isn't really either of those at the time. The suit basically took a dead piece of meat and has reshaped it. In many ways Crysis 2 is about you playing a zombie in a suit through much of the game. A zombie that has both Alcatraz's memories and increasingly over time, Prophet's memories. Pretty much Alcatraz as a living breathing human ceased to exist by the time you wake up and take control.

I guess it all depends on what voice you were expecting to hear VS what voice you actually hear when the character speaks for the first time. I can't say that when I first heard Duke Nukem speaking it pushed me out of the game - it actually played an important part in pulling me in. As long as it's done right I'm ok with it.

I actually had to convince myself that I wasn't playing Duke, but that he was narrating the story in his own way while I was playing that.

It annoys the crap out of me when I'm playing an FPS or RPG in FPS view and they decide to have a voice actor voice my dialog. Much better to present dialog choices, but NOT have my character voice them. I choose the dialog and speak it in my head, the other characters then responsd. That way I can still immerse myself in the game and imagine it's ME playing the game not me puppeteering someone else through the game. IMO, that is the ideal way to do things. :)

Regards,
SB

Duke and his personality were a huge part of the game, especially for the image they were selling back then. Most characters found in shooters don't have much personality at all IMO so it may not work for them.

I would, at least, add resolution and storyline to that list.

Game is sharp enough that I wouldn't consider the resolution sub-par, most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference if it wasn't for the pixel counters.

And besides, it's not like KZ has a Shakespeare level storyline either. It's a shooter, the story is fine, accept for the end. :p

Duke and his personality were a huge part of the game, especially for the image they were selling back then. Most characters found in shooters don't have much personality at all IMO so it may not work for them.

Game is sharp enough that I wouldn't consider the resolution sub-par, most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference if it wasn't for the pixel counters.

And besides, it's not like KZ has a Shakespeare level storyline either. It's a shooter, the story is fine, accept for the end. :p

During the 2nd half of the game, as the frame rate becomes really stable, the resolution (PS3) becomes a non issue for me. And the night scenes really help in this regard.

During the 2nd half of the game, as the frame rate becomes really stable, the resolution (PS3) becomes a non issue for me. And the night scenes really help in this regard.
I will agree here, the resolution becomes non issue...and this is while switching between PC ver. and PS3 ver. every once in a while.
Not saying there aren't any differences, its just that you totally stop caring about it as its good enough.

I will agree here, the resolution becomes non issue...and this is while switching between PC ver. and PS3 ver. every once in a while.
Not saying there aren't any differences, its just that you totally stop caring about it as its good enough.

Absolutely. The tech for me falls JUST short of greatness though. I can appreciate the open nature, the large array of detail, lighting (goes without saying), but sub par textures and framerate issues (1st half only) take the gloss off. I'd still call it the best multi plat tech i've seen this gen mind, but i think the consoles are just a wee bit old to fully realise what Crytek want to achieve. I would seriously love it if Crytek further optomised the engine to squeeze a bit more, especially the PS3, but we'll have to see.

I was fine with the textures and resolution for the most part. What bothered me most, was the pop in on certain levels.
Me too.I actually thought textures were very good in general.Sure there were some textures that weren't up the par,especially in some corners but I definitely found no issues with them.

I was also surprised by frame rate once you hit the level before Dark Hearth.Than everything becomes very smooth and night levels(which were absolutely sick) ran perfectly with all the mayhem going around it(Central Station).

Pop in on the other hand...:yep2:

Yeah pop in was rather noticeable, especially on larger areas with a lot of trees. However the odd thing is, I'm not bothered by pop in like that as I am with tearing or huge amounts of jaggies.

Back