[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Yea but Nebula original shots that you posted are 1080p at some sites which makes me think those are PC shots on some medium(console) settings with no AA.There also seem to be OMB missing in shots and its definitely there in videos.

Yeah I just noticed the same images at Incrysis and they sure are 1080p. I think there is no doubt though that it is at '360 settings' unless generated on consoles at higher res thus OBM will not be applied since CE2/3 tiles when doing higher res than what is rendered onscreen. With tiling you wont get OBM present.

Other than that Crytek UK disappointed me really...SP looks MUCH better for simple reason as there is much more decals,it looks more "mature" and TOD seemed better.MP,as always,looks worse with any game but the thing that bothers me is that for ex. Rooftop map looks like something out of kindergarten.All those buildings in background are just basic boxes,that black sky also looks meh,fog 20 meters away from building etc.That night map on the other hand looks good but its just waaay to simple.There are only buildings and fire here and there,it looks very empty.And it should be way darker with more light sources,then it would look much better,I'm convinced.

Yeah the distant buildings do in some angle or most look a bit jarring as if lighting was not applied onto them andalso notthat complex. Maybe fog canceling it out due to cheaper rendering method?

The sky more seems to be covered with smoke at some angles while it's clear in others. The Pier map though looked really good and the water "swim tour" to!

It feels to me like the engine isn't streaming nearly as much high res textures as say kz3 Bilgarsk Boulevard map and the texture quality overall is better in the latter. Maybe the campaign would have some AF and more parallaxmaping perhaps.
In motion it looks fantastic indeed, the OMB and lighting are really working things out here.
Yea definitely.KZ3 latests MP footage really showed of great textures.But i do expect SP to have better textures and artstyle in general.

Crysis 2 seems to have every single bit of tech that can be there on consoles and more but maybe a more open,sanbox style of play restricted them for making it look even better.I mean,there is great motion blur(OMB),real time GI,HDR,deferred lighting,great physics,depth of field etc.
There is really not much to ask for for console game.I'm eager to see what can they do with Kingdoms.

It feels to me like the engine isn't streaming nearly as much high res textures as say kz3 Bilgarsk Boulevard map and the texture quality overall is better in the latter. Maybe the campaign would have some AF and more parallaxmaping perhaps.
In motion it looks fantastic indeed, the OMB and lighting are really working things out here.

I think it's just the limit for using quite a lot of normal mapping. Maybe perfomance and/or VRAM/RAM limits. But considering their lighting and effects tech and pretty much everything being realtime they would have to use lots of mapping to make lit surfaces look better and thus they have to balance quality.

Dont think an approach like ME2 with lots of highres surfaces with baked mapping would work, especially not with "24/7" daytime cycle tech use.

Here are some showing quite common texture quality in ME2 but at the expense of mapping.
http://www.abload.de/img/me2pc12myn7.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/me2pc89lx2.jpg

Not really impressed to be honest. The jaggies are really noticeable, textures aren't exactly stellar and the draw distance is really not all that with heavy fog and low res assets. I fail to see what's so technically advanced in this level aside from the lighting in some places, surely they can do more with only 6 vs 6 right?

I noticed that, too.

@Nebula
You're talking about MLAA having motion aliasing issues but with Crytek's solution its the same. Maybe it cover sometimes small geometry better, but do not cover some bigger aliased lines that MLAA do.

And about textures, their great on rooftop but only decent on rest of the scenes and really bad on screens from gamespot
And lighting is really so impressive? Its sometimes really good, especially i'm impressed with HDR but just look at this footage
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-streets-crysis-2/709699
there are fires that dont cast any shadows, no muzzle flashes either and at the end of video light and reflection from a gun is faked and looks bad.
Particles arent impressive either, sometimes almost absent.
Ragdoll and hit physics are bad too.

That rooftop gametrailers video looks better than street one and it was completely otherwise on Crytek's recent trailer.

New direct feed video and this one really looks great.Pier ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpA9TRozIKo&feature=player_embedded#!
This one was actually quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nebula
You're talking about MLAA having motion aliasing issues but with Crytek's solution its the same. Maybe it cover sometimes small geometry better, but do not cover some bigger aliased lines that MLAA do.

Think it was someone else mentioning motion aliasing issues. Actully I dont even know if any of the 360 media has ever had Cryteks edge AA method but there are comparision pics in one of their tech documents.

And about textures, their great on rooftop but only decent on rest of the scenes and really bad on screens from gamespot

Dont look that flattering but the ground is in a close to camera angle and filtering is only trilinear. I bet if you captured an equal angled image in U2 it would look as jarring...

http://www.gamereactor.se/media/27/uncharted2_192786b.jpg
http://www.gamereactor.se/media/27/uncharted2_192787b.jpg
http://www.gamereactor.se/media/28/uncharted2_192802b.jpg

Even better comapre it to U2 multiplayer texture and visuals IQ. Again we need to remember these are old consoles, limited perfomance.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/4012604163_814e9e26fe_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2555/4012608071_1e2bd1ef6c_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/4012609157_c5a7e1ec46_o.jpg

4012604163_814e9e26fe_o.jpg

Though quite some textures do look decent and buildings shows good detail (bricks). Check out the video Ruskie posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpA9TRozIKo&feature=player_embedded#

Shows nice texture detail and mapping detail. It's from this level. Lets not forget where talking about console class HW.
crysis2mptrailer13vmus.jpg

crysis2mptrailer14imbr.jpg

crysis2mptrailer25hmrj.jpg

crysis2mptrailer211moy.jpg

And lighting is really so impressive? Its sometimes really good, especially i'm impressed with HDR but just look at this footage
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-streets-crysis-2/709699
there are fires that dont cast any shadows, no muzzle flashes either and at the end of video light and reflection from a gun is faked and looks bad.

Mostly it's really good. Just look at the YT video link above at where it says "Wet and wild" achievement. Look at how the lighting lits the scene and godrays "dancing" on the gun etc. Dont expect all lightsources to cast shadows, no game on console does that and only a few does more than a handfull of unique shadow casting lightsources at once. If multiple lights are in close proximity then they place one light in the middle to cover up for all the lights that are in close proximity, standard in many games. One would think all the say 6 lightsources cast shadows but only one lightsource exists.

Also deffered lighting wont help at all when there is a need to create unique shadowmaps for each shadow casting lightsource. This will drain resources a lot so they skip it or optimise it like I said previously if possible.

Muzzleflashes looks standard but the light reflection effect is quite nice and looks to be dynamic lightsource based as mapping is lit.

Particles arent impressive either, sometimes almost absent.

It sure seems cutback vs singleplayer which in shown media had far more meattier effects.

Ragdoll and hit physics are bad too.

Yeah they are really stiff and behave like if there was lag, massive lag.

Yea definitely.KZ3 latests MP footage really showed of great textures.But i do expect SP to have better textures and artstyle in general.

Crysis 2 seems to have every single bit of tech that can be there on consoles and more but maybe a more open,sanbox style of play restricted them for making it look even better.I mean,there is great motion blur(OMB),real time GI,HDR,deferred lighting,great physics,depth of field etc.
There is really not much to ask for for console game.I'm eager to see what can they do with Kingdoms.

Sandbox style of play? Really?! More than other top shooters? Explain.

@Nebula
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1515270&postcount=1151
About MLAA You're right ;p You only made comment based on their presentation of custom AA system. I should quote assurdum. Sorry ;]

I'm really interested in tommorow's HQ direct feed videos and shots.

Mostly it's really good. Just look at the YT video link above at where it says "Wet and wild" achievement. Look at how the lighting lits the scene and godrays "dancing" on the gun etc. Dont expect all lightsources to cast shadows, no game on console does that and only a few does more than a handfull of unique shadow casting lightsources at once. If multiple lights are in close proximity then they place one light in the middle to cover up for all the lights that are in close proximity, standard in many games. One would think all the say 6 lightsources cast shadows but only one lightsource exists.
I dont except to see more than one lightsource to cast shadows, but there wasnt any other lightsource around. It was really good place for short shadow radius lightsource like fire in U2 or many small wall lights in Mass Effect [fake but still], its also common in many action RPGs, so it shouldnt be so expensive, especially in deferred engine

Don't think it can claim the title of best looking console game without sorting the image quality out..720p, No AA, No AF..fairly lackluster when compared to most console games of 2009+. Being in a city doesn't really help the matter with lots of long flat surfaces and near vertical or horizontal lines with all the buildings.

The lighting and shadow might put it over the top though and definitely looks like the best on consoles. IMO Shots to the mid distance or less look marvelous but view further and you're reminded of the flaws.

Hope PC performance scales nicely so a 5650m can at least get AF while having console quality in other areas ;).

I like that the engine does specular right this time. Lights are reflected as lines, instead of circles.
It's true that Crysis 2 has a tighter budget for shadows, but that's because unlike most high profile games (like Gears or Killzone), every single light and shadow are calculated in realtime (as opposed to baking them into lightmaps).

My favorite footage so far comes from Pier 17 and the church level, both look fantastic.

I have to admit that I love the oversized reflex sight on the rifle xD It looks quite cool.

The game is looking great. The night time map looks so cool too ! C'mon Crytek, what about us PC and PS3 owners. THrow us some bone to us old dogs too :LOL: !

EDIT: The only thing I don't like are the brick wall textures. The colour is off and they look damn flat. Get some dirt, moss and break the texture there !

Nor does it have nearly as bad pop-in, especially with regards the skyline. Where KZ3 on the MP map is very very very careful to avoid any long distance shots, thus limited draw distance greatly.

With all the KZ3 posts polluting this thread, perhaps I should go into the KZ3 thread and start nitpicking it?

As well, the few shots I saw posted in that thread hardly back up the assertion that KZ3 has significantly better quality textures. Even taking into account the fact that they aren't direct feed shots.

Lol like ten times ME2 :D
New direct feed video and this one really looks great.Pier ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpA9TRozIKo&feature=player_embedded#!

Yeah, those look amazing. Especially looking at how the weapons are realistically lit.

Before looking at the KZ3 Bilgarsk Boulevard video, I was thinking the same thing as what someone else posted in this thread about how fog seems to be a bit close in when looking at the cityscape from the rooftops. But after seeing just how incredibly close in things were in the KZ3 footage, things are certainly looking even more impressive for Crysis 2.

In a void, only comparing to PC, it's easy for me to be dismissive on Crysis 2 graphics on X360. But when compared to the KZ3 footage, it looks REALLY nice.

Man, I can't wait to see how this looks on PC. Been a while since a game made my jaw drop.

Regards,
SB

Nor does it have nearly as bad pop-in, especially with regards the skyline. Where KZ3 on the MP map is very very very careful to avoid any long distance shots, thus limited draw distance greatly.

With all the KZ3 posts polluting this thread, perhaps I should go into the KZ3 thread and start nitpicking it?

As well, the few shots I saw posted in that thread hardly back up the assertion that KZ3 has significantly better quality textures. Even taking into account the fact that they aren't direct feed shots.

Before looking at the KZ3 Bilgarsk Boulevard video, I was thinking the same thing as what someone else posted in this thread about how fog seems to be a bit close in when looking at the cityscape from the rooftops. But after seeing just how incredibly close in things were in the KZ3 footage, things are certainly looking even more impressive for Crysis 2.

In a void, only comparing to PC, it's easy for me to be dismissive on Crysis 2 graphics on X360. But when compared to the KZ3 footage, it looks REALLY nice.

Regards,
SB
I'm just gonna back away for now since we obviously have different opinions and further comparison may get deleted, so I'm gonna let you have the last word happy? :).

Is there a separate video of the church/cathedral map you guys are raving about or is it just the little footages I see of outside a cathedral in different videos of mixed maps?

BTW, the trailer released fopr this demo was supposed to be a PC running at 360 settings. Are these footages actually from a X360? Confirmed? or these can be from PC running at console settings too? If its actually a 360 running these Mp vids, colour me very impressed!

EDIT: BTW, wasn't destructibilty supposed to be in ? i don't see any pillars breaking or any such stuff in any of the videos :( !
EDIT: Wait , What?!?!? No bullet decals on walls !!! Either that or they dissappear too quickly ! :oops:

Back