[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Probably becouse devs are hyping C2 to be the best looking game on consoles, but right now we only have GDC presentation wich don't look so great :) After some HD gameplay it will be clear.
It only looks bad if you focus on the bad. Reminds me of when KZ2 was first shown with this picture.

killzone_2_screenshot_1.jpg

Everyone said it looked like crap due to the low res of everything (something that still remains on the final game). Yet, the current view on the game is somewhat different ;)

"Few" low res textures ? I also see a disappointing level of texture filtering there btw.
Seems in line with most games this gen.

Doesn't makes as much of a difference compared to the screenshots from the earlier compressed videos...at all.

The aliasing seems to be the single biggest issue here apart from the somewhat washed out lighting & poor texture filtering, textures look very nice in some places (like in pics below) but at the same time very ugly in other places (like the ugly blob in 2nd pic)

Anyways some of them are indeed rather impressive !! (but they still look a bit blurry..donno why):

Few more:
http://i39.tinypic.com/5tvz4l.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/29f486u.jpg

It only looks bad if you focus on the bad. Reminds me of when KZ2 was first shown with this picture.
Thing to note is that picture was shown more than 2 years before release so they had lots of time to improve,fine tune & do some ninja coding. Crysis 2 however, is releasing by this year itself. The problem is, that KZ2 shot has a very dimly lit scene & hence can easily be deceiving of actual quality, nothing such here its all in front of your eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know how much texture variety are they using either. That contributes to them being not so high-res.

Also, I don't understand the "washed out lighting"? Seems to have a nice contrast.

Ive read all those authors + the books ive read of them

Peter F Hamilton, Pandoras star,misspent youth,the neutronium alchemist,the naked god,the dreaming void, the temporal void

Neal Asher - skinner, cowl,

Alastair Reynolds, diamond dogs,turquoise days,revelation space,chasm city,redemption ark,century rain,galatic north,zima blue + other stories

Richard morgan - Woken Furies

Ild say Alastair Reynolds would be the best and Richard morgan the worse, Woken Furies was painful to read
i.e. in my opinion they picked the worst of the bunch

Never read any of his work, but if he is to be classed with the likes of Reynolds, Hamilton and therefore Iain M Banks, Greg Bear, and Ken Mcleod, and now Paul J McAuley (IMO) then he must be pulling some big guns in the word smithing department!

Those screens definitely do not look too impressive! Everything from the textures to the image quality looks very low, or at least a good deal worse than KZ2, UC2, Halo: Reach, Gears 2, etc etc. They have been hyping this game up to be the best looking console game, but these early pictures just do not support that claim.

What do you mean by different look on different playthrough ?

Nothing stops them for example from changing the time of day every time you play a level. It can be dramatic, like sunset one time and mid day another, or mild if they want to more or less keep a certain look, so 1pm on one play then 4pm on another. You can get a whole bunch of different looks that way, some subtle some not so subtle. Engines that give away level editors benefit even more since people can achieve so many different looks. Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to be impressed by any game nowadays that doesn't support a 24 hour cycle. They may look good, but they always look exactly the same every single time.

That's right they have control but they don't really use it to change it everytime you play that level.Though I think it'd be a nice idea to have random TOD for levels in games but that would mean some levels may end up looking worse than they are supposed to since TODs naturally go a long way to change the look of game, sometimes for the better & sometimes for the worse. As I said its indeed very nice for PC cause you can actually change the TODs by yourself for any number of level you desire almost at will, but you can't have such kind of liberty on consoles..unless they too support mods like UT3. (Its surprising to see that no game focused on it after UT3)

The lead writer is taking on just about as many games as he can with these interviews. Classless professional assuming the quotes referring to CoD and Halo are true. :???:

Never read any of his work, but if he is to be classed with the likes of Reynolds, Hamilton and therefore Iain M Banks, Greg Bear, and Ken Mcleod, and now Paul J McAuley (IMO) then he must be pulling some big guns in the word smithing department!
Who saiz hes classified in the same category? the publishers? or is it just cause theyre british sci-fi writers of the last 30years
In defence of him though Ive only read one book of his, and it was the third of a trilogy (which typically are crap) since the author has run out of the ideas they had for the first book.
case in point I finished ben bovas 'asteroid wars pt4 - the aftermath' last night, it was pure spaceopera crap.
I started this last night http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerando_(novel)
written in 2000-2005 the first story was set in 2010, amazing how inaccurate the predictions were, perhaps 2020-2030 would of been a more plausible timesetting

Ive read all those authors + the books ive read of them

Peter F Hamilton, Pandoras star,misspent youth,the neutronium alchemist,the naked god,the dreaming void, the temporal void

Neal Asher - skinner, cowl,

Alastair Reynolds, diamond dogs,turquoise days,revelation space,chasm city,redemption ark,century rain,galatic north,zima blue + other stories

Richard morgan - Woken Furies

Ild say Alastair Reynolds would be the best and Richard morgan the worse, Woken Furies was painful to read
i.e. in my opinion they picked the worst of the bunch

OT (sorry!) :

Heh, I've read all of those Peter F. Hamilton books, and curiously you seem to have read both of Asher's books that I haven't, even though I read the whole Ian Cormac series.
Anyway, since you only read Woken Furies I'd advise you to read Altered Carbon and go from there (which you should have done ;) ) and since I've also read most of the Reynold's books you mention, and loved them, I really really MUST recommend his latest novel, House of Suns, which is by far his best book yet and is in my "top 2" of the last, dunno, 5 years perhaps. The other book in said top 2, which I consider even better although very different in tone (hell, it's different from basically anything), is Blindsight by Peter Watts (he has it available for free in his site which I'm linking here), who was also said to be collaborating with Crytek (hey look not so OT after all) in some form about one year ago iirc.

Hmm Crysis 2 runs a bit faster on ps3?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242728

First it was about equal,then it was bit faster on both consoles according to its strengths,then again equal then this:LOL:

So those crappy screens dont count now? The game looks good again? Just checking...

Anyway, I expect Crytek is trying to placate nervous potential licensees about PS3 performance. The wording is not specific. "Higher performance" could mean 29.7 FPS vs 29.5, but with the loss of some effects (given the lighting shortcut they showed). Or it could mean just what it says, only the final version will tell..

It could also mean at the moment since we dont know what the question was...it can also mean bit easier time with physics or a just hype it a bit more.You can see he is referring that CE3 has no problems with ps3 and that could encourage 3rd party to license the engine,we wont know until the final version comes.But as right now all previews run on 360 so it could turn out similar to Ghosbusters fiasco :LOL:

It could also mean at the moment since we dont know what the question was...it can also mean bit easier time with physics or a just hype it a bit more.You can see he is referring that CE3 has no problems with ps3 and that could encourage 3rd party to license the engine,we wont know until the final version comes.But as right now all previews run on 360 so it could turn out similar to Ghosbusters fiasco :LOL:

Lol man i dont know anymore first they have that novelist shit on every franchise story. Now you have this yo-yo effect with performance.
ps3>360,ps3=360 and ps3<.360 dam make up your mind but i think this is posted because of slow news days. :oops:

Eurogamer does it all the time doing those stupid quotes out of their big articles this seems to be a quote out of the PS3M.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back