[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Gosh. That's actually Richard Morgan the science fiction author - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels et al. Didn't realise he was lead writer. Expect some heavy-duty sex scenes gratuitously inserted into the middle of some of the levels then.

You know some of his books? Which is the most known?

Seems like he's on a criticizing spree first MW2 & now Halo. :LOL:
Yeah, I think it is unecessary to bash other games (especially if they are this successfull like HALO&Co!).

But what makes me wonder is how the story will turn out in the game?
I know for instance that Killzone2 had a rather deep and detailed story/universe...originally (which can be seen/read at the KZ2 homepage)...but we know how this turned out in the actual game (sorry GG, but it is ridiculous that I have to read stuff up on the homepage to get the whole story, althgough I played the game!).

The writer already mentioned some instances (cutscenes) where he had to streamline stuff for the game...I hope that their is something left in the actual game - because a FPS with a good story!?...seems to be something rare :mrgreen:

You know some of his books? Which is the most known?

Altered Carbon/Broken Angels/Woken Furies are his best known novels - the Takeshi Kovacs books. He seems to have veered off into Fantasy now though. He's pretty well known and tends to get lumped in with the new-wave of British science fiction authors - i.e. Peter F Hamilton, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds etc.

Crysis 2 does look darker and more personal from the trailer, I hope the story delves more into the emotion of the characters as they're defending their home town and loved ones this time. I wanna see a strong sense of struggle both physically and emotionally reflected on the player as he suffers the consequence of an alien invasion. Why am I thinking Independence day now?

Never heard of the writer until today and its laughable that he's bashing Halo's story considering the guy isn't even a Halo fan.He should just STFU and focus on trying to tell a good story in Crysis 2.

Never heard of the writer until today and its laughable that he's bashing Halo's story considering the guy isn't even a Halo fan.He should just STFU and focus on trying to tell a good story in Crysis 2.

Hit a nerve there did he? The interviewer brought up Halo so it's only natural that he would respond.

I am not questioning the tech here, all I am saying is that its a bit useless for games like these to have TOD on consoles, as they can do just as well (infact better) without it.

Dunno about that, at a minimum it's lets them tweak starting time of day on each level to at least provide different look on different play throughs, compared to other games which look identical all the time. Plus 24hr cycle makes Cryengine much easier to license :)

Other than the lack of AA and a few low-res textures here and there I don't see what's the big deal. Why so much negativity?

[Reki];1420223 said:
Other than the lack of AA and a few low-res textures here and there I don't see what's the big deal. Why so much negativity?

Probably becouse devs are hyping C2 to be the best looking game on consoles, but right now we only have GDC presentation wich don't look so great :) After some HD gameplay it will be clear.

Dunno about that, at a minimum it's lets them tweak starting time of day on each level to at least provide different look on different play throughs, compared to other games which look identical all the time. Plus 24hr cycle makes Cryengine much easier to license :)

What do you mean by different look on different playthrough ? :?:
wont the levels still change TOD exactly like they did when you play the first time (unless its you yourself who changes the TOD & that's something only PC players will be able to do). And I was under the impression that regardless of TOD you can have different time/lighting be it baked or realtime for each specific level in any game its just that it won't be as simple as just sliding down the TOD bar to a preferable position...& voila its done.

I understand that it makes it much much much more easier to use as there is no headache regarding baking things specifically for each level, and another advantage for doing it in real time is that the PC ver will also feature Sandbox Editor, but still no such novelty for console ver. :|

"Few" low res textures ? I also see a disappointing level of texture filtering there btw.

Hit a nerve there did he? The interviewer brought up Halo so it's only natural that he would respond.

Didn't hit a nerve at all.It was just amusing to read his baseless comments on Halo since he never has played it before.He was just spewing that garbage to get more attention to Crysis 2 since both Reach and Crysis 2 will be released this fall...

Altered Carbon/Broken Angels/Woken Furies are his best known novels - the Takeshi Kovacs books. He seems to have veered off into Fantasy now though. He's pretty well known and tends to get lumped in with the new-wave of British science fiction authors - i.e. Peter F Hamilton, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds etc.
Ive read all those authors + the books ive read of them

Peter F Hamilton, Pandoras star,misspent youth,the neutronium alchemist,the naked god,the dreaming void, the temporal void

Neal Asher - skinner, cowl,

Alastair Reynolds, diamond dogs,turquoise days,revelation space,chasm city,redemption ark,century rain,galatic north,zima blue + other stories

Richard morgan - Woken Furies

Ild say Alastair Reynolds would be the best and Richard morgan the worse, Woken Furies was painful to read
i.e. in my opinion they picked the worst of the bunch

Ive read all those authors + the books ive read of them

Peter F Hamilton, Pandoras star,misspent youth,the neutronium alchemist,the naked god,the dreaming void, the temporal void

Neal Asher - skinner, cowl,

Alastair Reynolds, diamond dogs,turquoise days,revelation space,chasm city,redemption ark,century rain,galatic north,zima blue + other stories

Richard morgan - Woken Furies

Ild say Alastair Reynolds would be the best and Richard morgan the worse, Woken Furies was painful to read
i.e. in my opinion they picked the worst of the bunch

I wouldn't disagree. I quite like the Kovacs books, but they're certainly flawed. His other books are worse btw - Market Forces is pretty poor. He certainly isn't as good as the other authors above (incidentally - read more Asher, his other books are excellent - Cowl is probably his weakest effort).

Having said that, it's good to see real authors get involved with video games - even if they feel the need to hype up their games somewhat.

Back