[360, PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Strongly disagree. W@W is my favorite COD campaign, although MW2 comes close.

Maybe it's me that just isn't too interested in the WW2 era in the Treyarch games, but W@W just as BlackOps bored the hell out of me. What I also dislike about the Treyarch games is the focus on large-scale infinite spawn battles. Yes, the Modern Warfare games have them too, but not to the same extend. While I completed all the CoDs with the exception of W@W (the game broke my save-file before I completed it on Veteran and I didn't want to start over), it's hard to remember memorable moments in the Treyarch games. There are heaps in the MW games: The sniper level in MW, the uphill battle in Rio in MW2 or the infiltration missions. The music score is also a lot better too. I just find the 'package' InfinityWard offers in the campaign just much more appealing.

fearsomepirate said:
And Treyarch's multiplayer is always better balanced than the preceding IW game, MW2 vs Black Ops being the most striking example of this.

Couldn't it be said that the next CoD game is always better balanced than the preceding game? I never played MW1 online, but I certainly thought MW2 was better than W@W multiplayer despite the unbalanced nature of the kill-streaks. BlackOps is better than MW2 in the sense as well that they've learned out of the mistake from the game preceding it, but has faults of its own. In the end though, the CoD games in general still suffer from bad spawns, unfair perks (2nd life) and they are very connection limited - the slightest lag will give you a disadvantage and has been often the case for lots of frustration, so I'm not betting on a flawless experience even in MW3. I'm looking forward to the new challenges though and don't believe it will be worse than Black Ops with the occasional innovations to the game.

Maybe it's me that just isn't too interested in the WW2 era in the Treyarch games, but W@W just as BlackOps bored the hell out of me. What I also dislike about the Treyarch games is the focus on large-scale infinite spawn battles. Yes, the Modern Warfare games have them too, but not to the same extend.
MW1 had lots of infinite spawn battles and IMO they were done much worse. If you're going to have infinite spawns, it should be in a way that makes sense, i.e., it should feel like two big armies clashing (best example of this is actually the last level of KZ2). In MW1, they'd just have these tiny houses that guys just kept pouring out of until you could figure out how to trigger the script to make them stop, and it really broke the campaign for me. I think MW2's campaign is pretty good, except, ironically, the Rio level, which I thought was garbage (too many "monster closets" and respawning roof snipers).
The sniper level in MW
Ugh, the sniper level in MW was crap. It was atmospheric and all that, but as an actual game level? I hated it, especially the final sequence where you get bumrushed on the hill. That was just stupid. W@W's burning building had a ten-second sequence that was annoying to get through, but except for that it was good. I guess IMO, while W@W has few really great missions, it maintains a consistent level of quality throughout; MW1 varies between great and horrible the whole time.
Couldn't it be said that the next CoD game is always better balanced than the preceding game? I never played MW1 online, but I certainly thought MW2 was better than W@W multiplayer despite the unbalanced nature of the kill-streaks.
No. MW2 was a mess. Since the killstreaks basically are the game, MW2's ridiculous killstreaks are no small matter. Not to mention the akimbo shotguns and knife-ninjas. I think MW1 and W@W are about even (although personally, I preferred W@W's maps and weapons), but Black Ops has been the best of the bunch by a long shot, mainly because the perks are much better balanced (Stopping Power was all anyone ever had in the 2nd slot in W@W).

Personally, I have not taken COD campaigns seriously since MW2 decided Russians should be armed with NATO weapons and half-century old Cold War gear. Black Ops just upped the ante by giving the Viet Cong 21st-century optics. We'll see how MW3 turns out. I personally think it's a good thing many of the IW guys are gone; might bring some sanity back to the multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
MW1 had lots of infinite spawn battles and IMO they were done much worse.

Worse than in the Treyarch games? I beg to differ. The Treyarch games feature a lot more grand-scale battles (especially W@W) that relied heavily on the infinite spawn mechanism. Even if MW1 had it, I thought they were a lot less pronounced and the varying missions (infiltration missions namely) helped to give a bit more variety. I take it that how you perceive the infinite spawning of enemies greatly depends on how you play the game. If you play it a certain way, the illusion is pretty solid and you don't find yourself even noticing it - it's something that has worked in the Modern Warfare games but has not (for me) in the Treyarch games where I have always noticed them.

In any case, we'll also have to agree to disagree on the sniper mission in MW1 - I still remember it has one of the true great missions where you really feel like you're outthere in enemy territory and off to get that one important kill. There's not a single mission I remember from the Treyarch games other than the countless grandscale battles - it's something I even disliked in the Modern Warfare series (although I think in their games, they're a bit more varied and interesting). As I said, maybe it's also the world-war-2 theme that I'm getting sick of.

fearsomepirate said:
No. MW2 was a mess. Since the killstreaks basically are the game, MW2's ridiculous killstreaks are no small matter.

I was happy to forgive the killstreaks as by the time MW2 shipped, W@W was downright unplayable due to the amount of glitching that was never really solved in the PS3 version.

As I said, I can't comment on MW1 online, but the glitching W@W made it downright unplayable after a while and some of the bugs (putting you into games where you needed DLC without actually having it just because 90% of your party had it) were left unsolved for far too long that switching to MW2 was a joy. MW2 also had Spec-Ops, something dearly missed in BlackOps IMO.

Yes, killstreaks and akimbo became a huge annoyance - but the game had other areas that it excelled at, that made it a worthwhile sequel to W@W. BlackOps improved in many areas, especially killstreaks and akimbo weapons, but IMO suffers a lot in some areas: Match making is still pretty bad and this game suffers a lot from bad internet connections downt to the point that it's downright frustrating. The countless "host migration" screens are a result of that and highlight that there is a problem. If the game perhaps would make some better parties, it would feel less need to switch the host multiple times during a match. The spawn system is also highly flawed to the point that it is exploited by talented teams playing in groups. Even when not, you are often spawned right smack of a battle and the mechanism for allowing a player to spawn near its killer must be one of the stupidest ideas ever. At the end of all this, it's still better than it's predecessor (MW2) and in that sense, I'm sure MW3 will learn from some of the faults in BlackOps and make it a better game (which I'm sure will have its own issues too).

One thing I'm really looking forward too, though, is Spec-Ops. Spec-Ops in MW2 was one of the highlights and playing all those levels was a joy!

Worse than in the Treyarch games? I beg to differ. The Treyarch games feature a lot more grand-scale battles (especially W@W) that relied heavily on the infinite spawn mechanism.
Infinite spawn works for a grand-scale battle. It doesn't work when you're assaulting a house that has four rooms. My brain can accept hundreds of guys slugging it out in a massive assault on Berlin. It can't accept that there were actually three hundred guys defending a tiny farmhouse in rural Russia. It sounds like you just don't like big battles, which is definitely a legitimate preference difference.
If you play it a certain way, the illusion is pretty solid and you don't find yourself even noticing it
Really? Because MW has all these infinite spawns in tiny areas. The worst is this Russian village mission where you have to clear out three or four tiny farmhouses. Each house is an infinite spawn point and therefore can't be cleared by killing all the guys in it. I made the mistake of thinking that a house with four rooms shouldn't be too hard for me to take out...20 or 30 kills later, I finally crossed the threshold of the ground floor, when the guys magically stopped spawning. That's probably the most egregious example.
In any case, we'll also have to agree to disagree on the sniper mission in MW1 - I still remember it has one of the true great missions where you really feel like you're outthere in enemy territory and off to get that one important kill.
The heavily scripted on-rails experience was neat the first time, but they murdered it with one of the worst ending sequences I have ever seen in an FPS.
I was happy to forgive the killstreaks as by the time MW2 shipped, W@W was downright unplayable due to the amount of glitching that was never really solved in the PS3 version.
What glitching? I never saw anything severe. The thing about queuing you up for DLC games was freaking annoying, though. But I never saw anything on the order of the crazy hacks I've seen in MW2.
As I said, I can't comment on MW1 online,
I can tell...the first time I got shot by a machine gun that shot grenades instead of bullets, I quit MW1 for good.

The spawn system in COD is something I don't like in any of the games, period. I much prefer team spawn areas with multiple exits. As aggravating as it can be to get pinned in your base by a better team, it's never as infuriating as dying merely because the game spawned someone behind you.

The Wii port only uses the classical dual stick controller ? No Wiimote support ?
Did you watch the second video? Here is more with the Wiimote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQFpH80prA

I really enjoyed my limited experience with Black Ops Wii (rented it once on my father's Wii; I have the PS3 version). The bounding box is customizable in Wii--and you can set it separately for ADS and hipfire mode. I played a little Black Ops on my dad's Wii, and I found it was most convenient to have a huge bounding box for ADS, and a tiny one for hipfire, so when I went into ADS, it was almost like being in a rail shooter.

Ah I wasn't sure !

Now if they support Wiimote on Wii, it should be possible to do Move on PS3 using the same mechanics. I keep hearing Gaffers asking for Move support on FPSes.

Well shut my mouth and paint me red. I went in for a round or two of Dom in W@W today, and what do you know...there was a guy walking around, crouched, continually firing his gun. I thought to myself, "Self, here is a n00b who must have picked this up used a couple days ago. Time to larn him a lesson!" I unloaded a full clip of STG-44 into him at close range....nothing. He turns around and wastes me. Thinking is must have been lag or something, I continue on. We capture the B flag, and I put down a couple Bouncing Betties. In marches the same guy, same stance, same continuous firing. He marches right over my two mines, takes a full clip of my rifle, and of course kills me again.

This has never happened to me before. It never happened until Phil said something. Therefore, it is Phil's fault. Thanks for ruining my favorite COD, jerk!

Infinite spawn works for a grand-scale battle. It doesn't work when you're assaulting a house that has four rooms. My brain can accept hundreds of guys slugging it out in a massive assault on Berlin. It can't accept that there were actually three hundred guys defending a tiny farmhouse in rural Russia. It sounds like you just don't like big battles, which is definitely a legitimate preference difference.

Yeah definately. I take it that MW1 does have infinity spawns in stupid areas - and I couldn't contest it even if I wanted to - I haven't played this one for ages. I just remember the infinite spawns being hugely annoying in W@W (from the 2nd level) where I made the mistake of startin the game on Hard and couldn't progress because they either shot me and when I killed them, they kept respawning. At some point, I just tried to run through it, taking damage as I went, but luckily, I died just after hitting the check-point area, so at least, I had cleared it. There were more stages where exactly this kind of gameplay got me tired quickly. The final bullet in the coffin was when the game crashed and my save game [on hard] (14th chapter I think or there abouts) self-destroyed and I had to start from the beginning again. If I recall correctly, this was even in combination with one of the first updates/game patches Treyarch did.

fearsomepirate said:
Really? Because MW has all these infinite spawns in tiny areas. The worst is this Russian village mission where you have to clear out three or four tiny farmhouses. Each house is an infinite spawn point and therefore can't be cleared by killing all the guys in it. I made the mistake of thinking that a house with four rooms shouldn't be too hard for me to take out...20 or 30 kills later, I finally crossed the threshold of the ground floor, when the guys magically stopped spawning. That's probably the most egregious example.

Sounds about as frustrating as my experience in W@W... In anycase, it's been too long since I've played MW1 and I guess I was unfortunate not to run into these problems (though I think I know/remember which mission you're refering to). To the best of my knowlege, I can't remember MW2 having many infinite spawn areas - there were maybe some, but on the whole, I thought the game had a great mix between sniper, infiltration, on-rails sections and grand-scale battles (where infinite spawns would be most common and make sense; like outside the White-House section).

fearsomepirate said:
What glitching? I never saw anything severe. The thing about queuing you up for DLC games was freaking annoying, though. But I never saw anything on the order of the crazy hacks I've seen in MW2.

fearsomepirate said:
This has never happened to me before. It never happened until Phil said something. Therefore, it is Phil's fault. Thanks for ruining my favorite COD, jerk!

:p

Well, I'm not one to feel smug about this. I spent a lot of time playing W@W (and MW2, and the most with BlackOps now), so I guess I ran into some of the problems. We used to be absolutely murdered by players using glitches. The most common map used for glitching was the Castle level - there's a section around the water where you can drop into the ground and then walk beneath it. When we played this level, we actually just avoided that area of the map. WIth time, other levels became unplayable as well. Outskirts had players glitching up to the sky, Hangar where you could access the roof (where you normally couldn't) etc.. what pissed me off the most was that these glitches were solved on the X360 version while completely left unsolved on the PS3 for too long. I'm sure there should be still posts around from me in the W@W topic...

I think the only place in MW2 with infinite bad guys was Rio. I heard that if you kept killing them long enough, though, they'd quit spawning in. I also didn't pick up W@W until about a month after MW2 came out, and I think they had patched the map glitches at that point (console gaming is like PC gaming now, where you buy on release day at your own risk). Sorry about your save...that must have been infuriating.

I wonder if that hack is new. Supposedly, W@W was a lot harder to hack than MW2 or MW1, and I quit playing it when I hit level 40 or so ~1 year ago. At that time, I was regularly putting up numbers like 34-6, 24-7, etc, so it got boring for me.

On a completely different note, I've always found it intriguing how Treyarch manages to squeeze COD onto the Wii--in part because I've always found "more with less" programming to be interesting. MW3 looks to be their best effort yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz99eINqVos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm3vFrBTgI

I don't know what kinda magic they are doing over there but I'm continuously inpressed with MWReflex on the Wii and MW3 looks to up the ante a little bit. You can hate on the MW games but you have to admit they make a good wii port. Game runs smooth, has lots of little details and manages to remain consistent throughout. I would love to figure out there workflow - they probably using every trick in the book. Props to them.

Only think I could pick up from playing MWReflex is that the game is constantly reading the disk, and swapping out little bits of the environment.

Only think I could pick up from playing MWReflex is that the game is constantly reading the disk, and swapping out little bits of the environment.
If you poke around the Internet, Treyarch loves to talk about their Wii technology--it's really nice to see a developer take pride in what they can do on a given kit and doing their best to stand out rather than pissing and moaning because it's not as powerful as some other kit. They developed a streaming technology in order to fit the big multiplayer maps onto the Wii while still tracking player movements. Basically, they tapped out what the GPU can render at the expense of not being able to fit the entire level into memory (the disc really goes crazy in Black Ops). So that's why they couldn't put splitscreen in the game, and why they had to take out any killstreaks that involved viewing the entire level from the sky.

I think I'm near the end of the SP and I gotta say... this is probably my favorite CoD campaign so far.
It's more of the same, but they added some nice little sequences that I found enjoyable.

PS3 version actually runs great too... much better than BLOPS.

Not quite through yet, but playing MW3 highlights to me again why I just enjoy the InfinityWard (even if this one isn't by them entirely) so much more than the Treyarch ones - speaking strictly about the single player campaign (haven't started MP yet).

Just every level is more 'over the top' than the one before. Amazing blockbuster stuff. Given this is still more or less the same engine running at a silky smooth 60 fps (more or less) framerate, I'm amazed to see how much they've managed to pack in, how much is going on and the talent of the artists getting colours and lighting spot on.

There is one thing though that I miss: Modern Warfware 2 had the better music score and the sound in both (MW2 and BlackOps) are much much better mixed than in MW3. MW3 is too low most of the time and the effect channel seems to be too loud. It's a pitty you can't adjust the channels individually like in most games. Gun sounds are not bad though, but I think BlackOps had the edge.

fearsomepirate said:
The spawn system in COD is something I don't like in any of the games, period. I much prefer team spawn areas with multiple exits. As aggravating as it can be to get pinned in your base by a better team, it's never as infuriating as dying merely because the game spawned someone behind you.

Ehm this is quite limited to just certain play modes and largely depend on u camping for it to happen in these modes.

In tdm this is only an issue if u are camping as spawns move around constantly based on where ur team mates are. If ur actually chasing down the enemy it shouldn't happen, ofc the maps are small so any clever player will always flank you

in sabotage spawns are set throughout the game like bases.

Same for demolition

Domination the spawns are preset and non random

In hq spawns depend on who wins the hq and they are non random, takes a couple matches to figure out the spawn cycle on each map but unless ur camping and not going for the hq they will not spawn behind u.

Search & destroy doesn't have this issue.

In FFA this is a problem but easily countered by intelligent moving.

Play for like 10 hours now in tdm and reached Lvl 63 dunno what to think. I personally think certain maps like crash etc where more epic and fun than these ones. Maybe they will grow on me but I find most of them kind of lame. I don't like that the maps seem smaller.

I love that quickscoping is back! Hard but looks awesome. Only using the intervention look a like but the MSR which unlocks soon looks like its gonna be better, prolly still use intervention just because bolt rifle looks cool.

I like that I can get gold weapons without getting lvl 14 prestige. Killstreaks are more balanced I guess, but don't like the support streaks. It's easy to exploit ( only in extremely rare situation will I not get the required kills for juggernaut or osprey) however kill streaks are more fun.

Back