[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

Wow. I'm curious why the extra space on the BD wasn't used for higher quality textures on the PS3, given that you mentioned that the 360 was pushed in ways that the PS3 couldn't.

The extra space was used for audio (5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM). The PS3 version is already 10GB more than the 360 version.

And he said that the problems with the PS3 version were about memory so better textures aren't going to help that.

If you can say, how would you do differently to achieve better parity next time ?

Also what's the relative team size between the 2 platforms ? How much time did you have, and how much code do you share ?

Actually 4 platforms Wii + PC. It amazing that they downgraded so many things on ps3 and it still performs significantly worse.

The extra space was used for audio (5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM). The PS3 version is already 10GB more than the 360 version.

And he said that the problems with the PS3 version were about memory so better textures aren't going to help that.

There is more space to burn, but anyway, somehow the memory issues escaped me.

LPCM options don't really add anything to the game's size, unless the audio files themselves are larger like Fallout NV (nearly 5GB). Take DR2 for example, it's actually a smaller file on the PS3 but has LPCM 5.1 and DTS. IIRC, Batman AA is about the same size and has LPCM support up to 7.1.

Wow. I'm curious why the extra space on the BD wasn't used for higher quality textures on the PS3, given that you mentioned that the 360 was pushed in ways that the PS3 couldn't.

I believe one reason mentioned by Barbarian for the lower resolution of the PS3 version was due to memory issues. Higher quality textures in that case would have only compounded the problem, no?

Regards,
SB

What's wrong with Black Ops' multiplayer ?
I haven't played any CoD MP game (only briefly).

If so many people are playing. they must have done something right. I know some Gaffers don't like CoD.

Don't get me wrong, I love COD games. MW2 is my most played game by far.

I dont know if this applies to other versions, but on PS3, the framerate is crap. Also the game is laggy. I get killed by people knifing me and they arent even facing me.

Black ops just doesnt feel right to me. MW2 had a lot of issues, but the actual movement of the characters and gunplay felt great. IAll black ops had to do was get rid of the stuff like noob tube spamming and commando and it would have been perfect. But treyarch did some other things as well. It takes too many bullets to kill people. Also the maps dont seem all that great. There are some that are absolutely horrid. Like that map by the beach which happens to have a crappy framerate as well.

Getting really tempting to buy this. Does the single player have as many impressive setpiece events as MW2? eg
dodging falling jets, the entrance/exit to the gulag etc
. The multiplayer seems interesting but I think MW2's devolved into something awful after the first few months so I would want to get it fairly quickly.

Than there's the question of what version..PC and 360 seem to be the only real choices and I've heard there are a lot of bugs and lag on PC...but I would appreciate the up in resolution. 360 seems the way to go for the least hassling experience.

There are tons of setpiece events in Black Ops, more so than MW2, the story is good as well...its not award winning material but its better than other COD games (though it gets a bit crazy near the end).

I'll suggest you to get the 360 version just because its much more smooth sailing & hassle free.

So it's like every past COD game? :LOL:

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the series campaigns...

Although MW2 I think did actually look pretty good for the time, especially given it's at 60, though OTOH it's also subHD.

At least MW2's campaign had a couple memorable, strikingly epic set pieces, No Russian and riding the rails of a chopper into that assault on a castle for example. MW1 I literally barely remember the campaign at all except for one part I got stuck on for ages seemed like, before discovering the "trick" to advance.

I'm reminded of something Cliffy has talked about, with campaigns needing lulls and quiet points to balance out the highs. COD completely eschews that and attempts to go balls to the wall for literally every second of gameplay, and it fails and grates after a while imo. If every moment is meant to be high strung, it becomes blase because high strung is the norm.

BTW on vgchartz some posters said the game at it's high point reported >4 million online on 360 (versus 700k on PS3 and a high of ~900k on Reach back at release). I'm guessing there must be some kind of bug on the counter on 360 but if not, 360 version sales could be absurd.
Well I finished the campaign last night and I agree with you BO falls short of its predecessors. MW2 did have some memorable and even nice looking scenes, but nothing beats the intensity and brilliance of Chernobyl sniper level of MW1 in recent years. BO had its share of fun but it ain't not classic, not even better than WAW imo.

Don't get me wrong, I love COD games. MW2 is my most played game by far.

I dont know if this applies to other versions, but on PS3, the framerate is crap. Also the game is laggy. I get killed by people knifing me and they arent even facing me.

Black ops just doesnt feel right to me. MW2 had a lot of issues, but the actual movement of the characters and gunplay felt great. IAll black ops had to do was get rid of the stuff like noob tube spamming and commando and it would have been perfect. But treyarch did some other things as well. It takes too many bullets to kill people. Also the maps dont seem all that great. There are some that are absolutely horrid. Like that map by the beach which happens to have a crappy framerate as well.

I play x360 version and framerate is smooth, there was some strange texture streaming issue but when i installed game on hdd it seems to be gone.

As for MP im big MW2 fan and imo MW2 is still best in series, but black ops is really good and fun to play. Sure sniper class is broken as there is no quick scoping and you will be raped by everyone , shotgun is not very funny to use becouse of limited range. And perks seems to be limited in usage in compare to mw2.
But imo maps are great in black ops i dont really get why you dont like them. My only complain is beside ar and smg there is nothing else to use.

So that means at least in the US on X360 it's going to easily sell more than 1 million units. Wonder how close it'll come to Halo: Reach or combined X360/PS3 sales for MW2.

Still, 1 million+ units already just on X360 is pretty hefty. :) And yes, just in case someone notices, I know it was just shy of 1 million people playing online, I'm assuming some people might have been playing single player offline. :p

Regards,
SB

Huh? MW2 sold 4.2 million just on 360 in Nov 2009. BO should do close to that if not more. MW2 also outsold Reach just on 360 by a solid amount in it's first month.

I really doubt it's a bug. Ask anyone what they saw people on their friends list playing, last night....

Yea doubt it was a bug

Yeah, it's a bug :p

For example, as another gaffer pointed out, according to MS Live's record for concurrent users across all games (which would include MW2's release) is just over 2 million. To suggest that BO more than doubled that is unlikely. Also we have Treyarch themselves saying it was 1m on Black Ops. Also I read Reach's record for users was 900,000, again to suggest BO did over 4X that would be quite incredulous. Yet another thing I read was that the PS3 version had a max of 700k online, again that means the 360 version would have had to outsell the PS3 version almost 6-1, again unlikely given past sales.

Actually it may not be a bug, as a gaffer also pointed out, we dont even know what that 4 million measured. It could be players in X hours, etc.

But speaking of sales some figure appear to be rolling in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24325963&postcount=1

geoffkeighley Black Ops sold 360M in sales day one, up from 310M for Modern Warfare 2. 16 percent increase

In its first day on November 9, the blockbuster title sold through approximately 5.6 million copies in North America and the United Kingdom, as compared to 4.7 million copies for last year’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Bubu Activision is milking COD to death :p

Last edited by a moderator:
5.6 million in one day? Holy crap. I thought this one would sell less than MW2. Guess I was wrong. Maybe Activision doesn't have to be so worried about the Infinity Ward ordeal after all.

Crap, I caved and picked it up last night. No framerate issues for me (360). While the maps are reasonably large, the encounter spaces are relatively small (at least from my limited experience), so it seems you need a high ROF weapon or you'll get raped hard. Default shotty is funny. It's an over/under bird hunting weapon that looks totally out of place in a modern combat game. Nevertheless, it's funny to shoot people with it. "Pull!" LOL!

Something about the colors seems odd to me, like they are really oversaturated. The game seems to have a more "cartoony" stylized look than MW2. I'm not sure though. I need to load MW2 and compare.

Has anyone here with a Q6600 and a 1gb vid card got the game, if they do how does it perform (im almost ready to pull the trigger and get it via steam)?

Anyway, if Barbarian is indeed one of the devs I'll probably get the game. I like to support devs who hang out here (as long as their games aren't ass).

Yeah, I agree with you - I am also thinking loudly about supporting the game because of said reason...

parity was always intended.

hm, from a pure objective engineering level: if parity was really on your agenda...you clearly did not succeed, IMHO.

....As for MP im big MW2 fan and imo MW2 is still best in series, but black ops is really good and fun to play. Sure sniper class is broken as there is no quick scoping and you will be raped by everyone......

I dont get why one would say sniper class is broken just because you cant quick-scope anymore.

I dont get why one would say sniper class is broken just because you cant quick-scope anymore.

Perhaps none of the maps are large enough where a Sniper can hold up without being hit by automatic weapons with faster rates of fire by gamers emptying entire clips using the "spray and pray" method of fighting? I know that MW2 was broken in that regards. Perhaps it carries over to BO.

Back