[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

I think this, in a nutshell, is the biggest difference between MW2 and BO. There is no Stopping Power perk, and you can definitely feel that it's missing. It's why you really need a high ROF weapon IMO.

I haven't really found a weapon I like yet.

Hardcore mode is perfect IMO. more tactical TDM games with quick kills. I hope they add HC CTF as they had in WAW although they have HC S&D

I thought the article is interesting...

9 Cool Things About Nuketown in Black Ops:
http://oneofswords.com/2010/11/9-cool-things-about-nuketown-in-black-ops/

Nuketown has become my favorite multiplayer map in Call of Duty: Black Ops, partly because of my appreciation for 50s nuclear nostalgia, and partly because I like tight, small maps. But when I started talking about it with other folks and asking internally, I learned a lot more than I expected. With the help of the community and some info straight from Activision’s Black Ops Project Lead, Erik Melen, I came up with nine clever details worth noting in Nuketown.

Playing this game on pc but it's one big failure. Techincally it sucks and gameplay sucks too. If you are forcing me to play with a bunch of AI bots atleast make sure they actually help or atleast don't get in my way. In black ops they don't help and get in your way all the time. Also I love the respawning enemies. NOT. You try to make yourself a bit of space by using a machine gun in a bunker so you don't have to kill a 1000 enemies from point blank but the moment you leave the bunker they are all back! So basically it's all about crazy rushing which in a lot of cases doesn't work because your screen is blood red half of the time which means you can't see shit and on top of that on every hit your screen looks up at the sky so your orientation is gone too. And to top it off this game has the most useless crosshair ever. WTF is the use of having a crosshair that is as large as my screen?

Than again all this should have been expected when there is a treyarch label on the box.

Maybe this game is fun online but at my place my ping is so high online gaming is impossible. I liked the MW2 SP but this is another treyarch failure.

Love how they promote the game. In Japan, they got Namie Amuro to push it:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/11/cod_namie_amuro/

For the overseas Call of Duty Black Ops campaign, Activision made use of such big talents as The Rolling Stones and Eminem.

For the Japanese campaign, Square Enix has tapped someone just as big, at least amongst the Japanese public.

Namie Amuro's "Rock U Feat. Namie Amuro" is featured in a Call of Duty Black Ops commercial that hit the airwaves today.

Now, in my book, Namie is an awesome person. She has (had ? ^_^) my highest respect. According to the media, before she became young and famous, the little girl walked a few miles to her talent school every day for 2 years (Memory is a little vague now). She came from a poor and dysfunctional family, had no money to stay near school, or take public transport.

The commercial:

[size=-2]Now she's a little contaminated -_-[/size]

Starting to like the graphics more and more the further I get been a good game so far. The water section look really good.

I think this, in a nutshell, is the biggest difference between MW2 and BO. There is no Stopping Power perk, and you can definitely feel that it's missing. It's why you really need a high ROF weapon IMO.

I haven't really found a weapon I like yet.

It's not just not having stopping power anymore. Having stopping power just meant you needed one less bullet to kill someone. In Black Ops, it feels like each bullet does less damage than in MW2. Maybe it's just a coincidence that you start off with more ammo?

How many guys have tried this in 3d? I'd be interested in your experiences!

I've been trying it out (xbox) and I must admit I'm really impressed. The implementation isn't 100% in my opinion - I've come across weird double sights on fixed heavy machine guns (like you find attached to the side of the bunker, and sometimes the aiming reticle on the scopes can be a bit "double vision".... In general though it's fantastic. So cool to see the holo-sights actually working as intended and painting a virtual dot on your target, and the whole game just looks brilliant.

I was on the fence about 3D before, but now I'm eager for more upcoming games to offer it... I really think for gaming it adds a great deal.

hm, from a pure objective engineering level: if parity was really on your agenda...you clearly did not succeed, IMHO.

I'm not trying to deny the obviousness of what you're saying, however treating parity as a pure engineering problem is not really fair. You could have the fastest engine in the world and still bring it to its knees with the "right" assets.

Not. MP just doesn't feel as good as MW2. Can't speak for SP though because I haven't tried it. I'm done with it, so if you want to try it let me know.

Really? Despite MW2 being broken with commando, killstreak whoring and akimbo shotguns?

That's not good, I thought MW2 played great besides those few problems. I don't understand why they would change the basic, core shooting mechanics.

Was this also the case with World at War? Or did that play like MW1 with the WWII reskin and content changes?

I'm not trying to deny the obviousness of what you're saying, however treating parity as a pure engineering problem is not really fair. You could have the fastest engine in the world and still bring it to its knees with the "right" assets.

Will their be any optimizations for the your next title for the ps3 version? At least to bump the res up? I can't help but think if this happens there will be rumors of the 360 being held back. All in all it is a great game the water looks really nice imo.

Aye, the water looks nice, but I think the interaction was better in WaW with its volumetric look (even if it looked ridiculously unrealistic sometimes)

sorry babarian, I did not want to insult you or your fellow devs with my post.

my intention is to learn more about game dev'ing...gaming is my most favorite hobby and I want to understand it more...does this help me to appreciate my hobby more??
-> my feeling is, that when I know the hard work behind all the glory on my screen - I can probably appreciate it even more, or recognize stuff I would not notice otherwise
-> in short, all of your input is very appreciated and a very good fan service to us gamers - thanks!

Really? Despite MW2 being broken with commando, killstreak whoring and akimbo shotguns?

That's not good, I thought MW2 played great besides those few problems. I don't understand why they would change the basic, core shooting mechanics.

Was this also the case with World at War? Or did that play like MW1 with the WWII reskin and content changes?

Id say rent it and try for yourself. Personally I stopped playing MW2 after the 1st week of launch for the reasons you've stated above.

If we're talking mp imho BO has brought me back to the COD series.

Not. MP just doesn't feel as good as MW2. Can't speak for SP though because I haven't tried it. I'm done with it, so if you want to try it let me know.

Thanks man. I'll sit it out.

Too bad DICE let BF2 die out. I'd still be playing that.

shot0109y.jpg

Saw this image by a user showing off his customised weapon in another forum, and I must say the gfx are bordering on toon rendered look !!! Look at the houses at the right (brown), middle and left. They are almost just like TF2 !

Yes. Even with all those lame, over-abused things, MW2 MP is still more fun and exciting IMO.

I agree with you there, other than those things the gameplay was as solid as ever.

So does anyone else think Treyarch screwed with the basic COD gameplay formula in Black Ops?

If so, maybe I'll get BFBC2 instead - always liked the games but never got around with having Halo and COD to play online.

Back