[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

at least on x360 black ops (MP) looks worse then mw and mw2 imo. Guns models are pretty bad and there is some strange streaming texture issue. Havent played SP so far but MP is a big step back in compare to mw2 .... pretty dissapointing imo. I cant really understand what they were thinking, maybe SP will save the day.

sigh. I need to stay away from the marketing and peer pressure of black ops :(

Me too. "Not gonna buy it for sure this year" I told myself, only for a trip to the supermarket a couple of hours ago to seriously test my resolve. It was in my basket all the way around the shop, only for common sense to kick in just before I went to pay.

at least on x360 black ops (MP) looks worse then mw and mw2 imo. Guns models are pretty bad and there is some strange streaming texture issue. Havent played SP so far but MP is a big step back in compare to mw2 .... pretty dissapointing imo. I cant really understand what they were thinking, maybe SP will save the day.

The textures aren't as good but the levels look more polygonally complex. Seems like a simple tradeoff.

I will never buy it. No testing my resolve required. I absolutely hate Treyarch SP Campaigns. THey never felt like COD ever. The first Treyarc COD I bought was the COD3 for my PS2, and I was taken aback as there was nothing COD-like in it. It was only later that I looked closely and realised its not by the guys who made my fav CODs on PC. I even gave World at War SP a try, but it so non-COD it could make me puke.

I am never coming near Black Ops SP ever. Heck, I still haven't played MW2 SP, though my friend has been pestering me non-stop to borrow his copy and play the "Best game" in his collection. I will give MW2 SP a go one day, as it is still from IW, but Black -Ops :- Never ! Somehow, even the artistic sensibilities of the visuals in Treyarch CODs are way below IW CODs. I mean look at the levels of MW, MW2, COD, COD2 and then look at WAW and Black-Ops levels. There's something unpolished and and different elements don't mesh together. I mean, yes, the characters have details, but they are not appealing at all ! SOmething Treyarch needs to learn from the artists at IW.

The game does not look impressive at all and at best it's slightly more grand than MW2. It's full of cheap effects, low poly models, flat lighting, non existent motion blur and mediocre textures. MW1&2 definitely have better textures. The campaign can be fun and chaotic at times but for most of the time it's one big snore fest with infinite spawn points, all too similar gun fights and annoying chronological cutscenes. I'm about 5-6 hours in and I hope it gets better here onwards.

The game does not look impressive at all and at best it's slightly more grand than MW2. It's full of cheap effects, low poly models, flat lighting, non existent motion blur and mediocre textures. MW1&2 definitely have better textures. The campaign can be fun and chaotic at times but for most of the time it's one big snore fest with infinite spawn points, all too similar gun fights and annoying chronological cutscenes. I'm about 5-6 hours in and I hope it gets better here onwards.

So it's like every past COD game? :LOL:

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the series campaigns...

Although MW2 I think did actually look pretty good for the time, especially given it's at 60, though OTOH it's also subHD.

At least MW2's campaign had a couple memorable, strikingly epic set pieces, No Russian and riding the rails of a chopper into that assault on a castle for example. MW1 I literally barely remember the campaign at all except for one part I got stuck on for ages seemed like, before discovering the "trick" to advance.

I'm reminded of something Cliffy has talked about, with campaigns needing lulls and quiet points to balance out the highs. COD completely eschews that and attempts to go balls to the wall for literally every second of gameplay, and it fails and grates after a while imo. If every moment is meant to be high strung, it becomes blase because high strung is the norm.

BTW on vgchartz some posters said the game at it's high point reported >4 million online on 360 (versus 700k on PS3 and a high of ~900k on Reach back at release). I'm guessing there must be some kind of bug on the counter on 360 but if not, 360 version sales could be absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played for about 4 hours last night. It sticks tightly to the regular COD play style. Some sections are ridiculously easy to run and gun through and then you hit sections that have infinite respawn points and they can quickly become tedious as you try and find the one route that gets you to the checkpoint.

MW1+2 were, IMO, better games in that they had the same play style but were less frustrating in the endless soldier sections. In fact I think so far the MOH reboot plays better and has better gfx than Black Ops. The story is probably the best bit so far, better than MW1+2 and on par with MOH.

BTW on vgchartz some posters said the game at it's high point reported >4 million online on 360 (versus 700k on PS3 and a high of ~900k on Reach back at release). I'm guessing there must be some kind of bug on the counter on 360 but if not, 360 version sales could be absurd.

I really doubt it's a bug. Ask anyone what they saw people on their friends list playing, last night....

I really doubt it's a bug. Ask anyone what they saw people on their friends list playing, last night....

Yea doubt it was a bug. Brought my buddy and his group at gamestop pizza at 11:30 the night of launch for the midnight opening and the stacks of the 360 verison vs ps3 was easily 3-1 and the line was horrible it spread out both ways across the store and wrapped around. I know its hard to picture but the game stop is in the middle of 5 stores and then behind those stores is a stop and shop and a pathmark back to back and the line extended to the end of the stop and shop. So its quite a large line

The TV commercials I've seen so far have been awesome. Celebrity cameos and regular people who just look like they're having fun.

I'm tempted too goddamn it!

Back