[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

Saw this image by a user showing off his customised weapon in another forum, and I must say the gfx are bordering on toon rendered look !!! Look at the houses at the right (brown), middle and left. They are almost just like TF2 !

Its just that map, Nuketown is purposely made to look like that.
It even features stuff like Double Rainbow :p

Take a look at other maps like Crisis, Launch, Array, Cracked, Radiation and Jungle....all of them look impressive.

I agree with you there, other than those things the gameplay was as solid as ever.

So does anyone else think Treyarch screwed with the basic COD gameplay formula in Black Ops?

If so, maybe I'll get BFBC2 instead - always liked the games but never got around with having Halo and COD to play online.

Treyarch made the game more about skill again for the players like me that like to rush and really use the twitch skilled i got when i was playing pc games. Not about who know the map the best and the best camping places. Every house and building has like multiple entrances. If one thing people think this games is more like cod classic then mw 2 bullshit.

Only thing treyarch needs to fix is the spawn places.

The MP is like COD2 with COD4's style with lots of customizations options thrown in....that's the most accurate description I can give.

The MP is like COD2 with COD4's style with lots of customizations options thrown in....that's the most accurate description I can give.

I've never played COD2 multiplayer so wouldn't know.

Perhaps I'll pick it up later when it's cheaper, did that with MW2 and surprisingly didn't have too many problems with everyone else being higher ranked than me

I agree with you there, other than those things the gameplay was as solid as ever.

So does anyone else think Treyarch screwed with the basic COD gameplay formula in Black Ops?

I feel there's something really wrong in blops' gunplay...
I couldn't pinpoint one single issue, but there's absolutely something wrong... maybe the recoil or the hitboxes or aimassist... don't know!

MW2 other than all the silly stuff (akimbo 1887's, OMA whoring, etc), was pretty good and satisfying, imho

Well, finally got this last wednesday, got to play it on thursday night and completed it on Friday. I'm not sure were the popular belief came from that Black Ops is longer than MW2, but it clearly isn't. It took me just over 7 hours, but would have been done in less, had the game not crashed on me and made me replay an entire level or have me check-pointed in another level that always had me game-over a second after starting from the save-point.

Not that the length of the game is a big deal - MW2 felt short because I absolutely adored the campaign (not to mention the Spec-Ops missions) and Black-Ops could have been half as long because the gameplay less satisfactory, less motivating - which more or less sums up how I feel about the game. The graphics feel worse than MW2 (on PS3 at least), although that gets better after you pass the initial stages of the game. The gameplay itself though feels like going from one infinite enemy spawn sandbox to the next infinite enemy spawn sandbox. There's not really a single memorable part of the game, except for perhaps the "fly the helicopter" mission, which while fun, shouldn't really be the highlight of a FPS game.

I haven't played the multiplayer yet, so maybe that can revive some things about the game.

Well, I've spent some time with the multiplayer the last couple of days and I have to admit, it's not bad.

The gameplay is fast paced (as quick as MW2) and the sound effects on a nicely setup home cinema system is very good. Sounds are very crisp and clear, especially the exploding of grenades - subjectively better than MW2 (which wasn't bad). The weapons aren't quite as enjoyable however, but they're slowly growing on me. Not to sure how balanced they are, but I'd say overall, it feels about right. There are some higher powered ones that I've picked up from others and haven't unlocked myself so far.

What I also definately like, is the money/unlocking route they've taken. Once you've unlocked a weapon, you can pretty much buy any attachment for it without having to unlock it first. If you've got the cash, it's a bit more convinient.

Something else that's really positive: Map design is superb. Nice, how the levels offer some distraction. Trains, rocket sylos opening or rockets launching. It's all there and sounds nice too.

The bad so far is the network code itself. It's definately less stable than MW2 - even if MW2 had it's fair share of bugs at the beginning, it never caused my PS3 to completely lock up numerous times. I've been lucky so far, but my friend who has been the host of our sessions once had his lock up 3 times in a row. The multiplayer itself is usually smooth, but there are some maps that don't run at a locked 60fps. While it's very noticable, I guess it's not really a huge distraction.

So, overall, I'm quite suprised it's holding up that well. Looks like I'll be spending some more time with it.

With a chopper gunner and the airspace full of killstreaks getting spawn raped is not something you can easily control yourself.

Most of the time i just go coldblooded and try to shoot down the heli.

Im sorry, but didn't you just provide a solution for spawn raping in the second paragraph?

If you get spawn raped in 99% of all shooters, you suck. No other explanation. I have seen just a few mp shooters where you have no control over this.

Cheezdoodles, you really should play on Live and see how you can compete - competition there is much harder in my experience compared to PSN!

Im not so sure about that. Im located in europe, most people here have PS3 not X360. I have higher K\D (2.32 vs 2) and Score per minute ratios on X360 for MW1 and MW2. I think its just differences in controlers, as PS3 controller is a little to small for me.

If you really are as good as you claim to be, I think you'll really like BO MP. If you can nail quick headshots, you'll absolutely destroy in MP. It takes more bullets to kill, so headshots are supremely important.

Im not particularly great, i just know how to aim while running, and that is enough to be MVP 99,5% of the times. I play for to little to actually be good (thought definitions of good might vary). I did manage 100+ FFA WIN streak in MW2, so i guess im okay.

I tried it last weekend, when i was home from germany, for some hours. More self medicated than usually (much more) but still managed many nice rounds.

BO definately is a little more skewed to the better players, as more health = less random kills by noobs.

Ive never been particularly awesome at headshots, but just the fact that accuracy is more important makes it easier for me.I recon i can get a pretty nice K\D average if i get some time to learn the maps and play some, due to the less random kills. K\D ratio's so far are close to the same levels i had on Mw2 on self medication. I like the new unlocking system! Love that you can play with online split screen. I was suprised that you could do this for wager matches, as cheating there could be quite easy.

Not that im gonna have any time to play this, GT5 is out, new AC which looks good, and this. And i dont even have my PS3 in germany :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not so sure about that. Im located in europe, most people here have PS3 not X360. I have higher K\D (2.32 vs 2) and Score per minute ratios on X360 for MW1 and MW2. I think its just differences in controlers, as PS3 controller is a little to small for me.

I had Modern Warfare on 360 and had MW2 on PS3 and generally games are harder on Xbox Live due to more competitive players - but the 360 controller is easier to play with than the DS3.

Well, I spent some more time online and it's fantastic.

The killstreaks are much better balanced and due to kills from killstreak-bonuses not adding to the overall killstreak count, it's not always particularly easy to get the higher powered killstreaks like chopper-gunner or dogs. As a result, less choppers, less dogs running around good which makes the entire game more enjoyable. The RC car is pretty popular though.

At the moment, I'm running my killstreaks for 7 kills chopper, 8 kills Radar (the one that shows where everyone is looking), 11 kills dog. This works out pretty good and I have successfully gotten dogs twice in the last 10 games.

The maps are very very good. Lots of veriety, only thing that I could hold against it is that they're less sniper friendly, but as a result, there are less (long range) snipers around which makes the game a lot of fun.

Only gripe I have is that lag is definately worse than MW2 and that the party system, while much more intuitive, doesn't always work: Yesterday, I was in a party of 4 and at times, the game would break our party up and put each other in opposing teams. Also, it's not uncommon to be kicked out of the party due to connection errors etc. They're seldom though and while the game works, it's extremely fun.

How is the local MP in the game?

4 player campaign?
2-4 player spec ops?
Bots in MP?

How is the local MP in the game?

4 player campaign?
2-4 player spec ops?
Bots in MP?

This will come to some disappointment, but there's no 4 player campaign (not even 2 player for that matter) and there's no spec-ops either. There is however a MP mode that allows playing against bots (up to 16 player I think) that can be found unter the category "training matches". It's pretty much like normal MP, though you will have to unlock weapons again and I'm not sure if you can create your own weapon classes with perks there.

What you do get however, is the option to participate in any regular online MP with a mate via splitscreen on one console.

Apart from that though, and technical issues aside, the level design is better IMO unless you are a sniping veteran and like wide open levels which there aren't any. The killstreaks don't have a huge impact on the K/D or the general outcome of the match either. Helicopters are less effective as the ones in MW2 (which can be looked at a weak or strong point) and dogs/chopper-gunner are seldom and not the overkill. It's all for the better really and as a result, the games tend to be a lot more fun/challenging. The shotgun is only effective shortrange, which is how it should be - so you don't really get the akimbo runners anymore.

..... There is however a MP mode that allows playing against bots (up to 16 player I think) that can be found unter the category "training matches". It's pretty much like normal MP, though you will have to unlock weapons again and I'm not sure if you can create your own weapon classes with perks there.....

Just to add to this.... yes you can create a class w perks, but just like online mp you have to wait to you reach a certain level before create a class unlocks.

What I do feel is silly is you cant play offline w bots unless your signed-in to psn/xbl:cry: imo that was a mistake, so if psn/xbl is down I cant play offline either???

I'm playing the PC version and I must say the single-player is the worst CoD ever. On just about any level at any point if you don't force progress it's just endless respawn-at-same-point-run-to-same-cover-shoot-get-shot-repeat for every enemy. They might as well make them all look like ducks from a shooting gallery.

I'm playing the PC version and I must say the single-player is the worst CoD ever. On just about any level at any point if you don't force progress it's just endless respawn-at-same-point-run-to-same-cover-shoot-get-shot-repeat for every enemy. They might as well make them all look like ducks from a shooting gallery.

WHAT? they didn't fix it?

MW2 did not have endless respawns AFAIK you could shoot everybody wave until they died out.

WHAT? they didn't fix it?

MW2 did not have endless respawns AFAIK you could shoot everybody wave until they died out.

I don't know if MW2 had endless respawns or not (I really don't think so since I remember clearing some areas pretty thoroughly), but MW1 did.

I decided to order it, since my friends have it and we can then play it in our splitscreen LAN parties as an alternative to Halo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing the PC version and I must say the single-player is the worst CoD ever.
Yes.It's a really dumb and poor game.Never been that much on a rail , IA is completly missing .Plus : way too much gossips( cinematics).
I kinda wonder if this a sign of FPS shooters entering the casual market ?

Back