[360] Forza Motorsport 3

original.aspx

Whoa!!

Perhaps there ought to be a screenshot thread for FM3... Anything you folks have taken in photo-mode or run across such as those custom paint-jobs. There is some great work out there.

"Simple" might be arguable. I am amazed they can do that stuff with just the control pad. :cool: They allowed around 4000 layers of graphics IIRC for Forza 2. I thought I read somewhere they increased that limit for FM3. :)

Just goes to show what communities can do when you give them the tools, even simple ones!

True (take that IW and your no-mod no-ded server stance!). Although FM2's tools are pretty well thought out and free form, not so much "simple" really.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread when judging the cars this needs to be kept in consideration. Being able to add not just decals but multi-thousand layer customer paint jobs adds a dynamic element to the games graphics that is outside the control of the developers to control and tweak.

Not disimilar to comparing a game with dynamic lighting that interacts with night/day as well as storms, clouds, etc verses baked lighting or, more similar, comparing games where one has pre-fabbed maps and the other totally custom on the fly user geneated layouts. Which is why imo FarCry 2 was pretty amazing.

True (take that IW and your no-mod no-ded server stance!). Although FM2's tools are pretty well thought out and free form, not so much "simple" really.
I'll need to check a vid, but I thought it was a matter of just layering simple shapes of given colours.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread when judging the cars this needs to be kept in consideration. Being able to add not just decals but multi-thousand layer customer paint jobs adds a dynamic element to the games graphics that is outside the control of the developers to control and tweak.
Not sure about that. I'd expect the edited paint-jobs to be baked into a texture.

I'll need to check a vid, but I thought it was a matter of just layering simple shapes of given colours.

Not sure about that. I'd expect the edited paint-jobs to be baked into a texture.

You can find some guides for paint-job and also the results of the concours for FM2 paint-job here:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/25/ShowForum.aspx

And cars with liveries got a better visual than cars with standard paint, it's easy to check with videos.

Yeah, some reviews are by non-racing fans (e.g. GamePro with a 4/5). They open up saying, "I'm not a big car nut" and "it's really meant for hardcore car nuts. Not that there's anything wrong with that." A valid review as it is a good thing that gamers of different stripes review games, but a review like that is pretty irrelevant to someone who is looking for a serious racing sim on the consoles.

I want to see some reviews putting it in the paces on real tracks with real cars by real drivers.

Here's another review by someone with high performance cars and track experience vs the traditional game journalist.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/video-games/review/2009/10/21/Forza-Motorsport-3/p1

Note that he gave Forza 2 a 7/10.

Here's another review by someone with high performance cars and track experience vs the traditional game journalist.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/video-games/review/2009/10/21/Forza-Motorsport-3/p1

Note that he gave Forza 2 a 7/10.

Damn you, don't want to get back into racing games, but reading stuff like this makes it tempting.

And this is the type of review I like to see. People that actually do take real life high performance cars to the edge (and beyond) regularly, and then see if that experience is replicated in a simulation/game.

Regards,
SB

Got the game today.

Graphics are really disappointing given hype from T10 - Looks nowhere better looking than FM2 to me.

But gameplay doesn't feel arcade like in demo to me for now...!

Looks nowhere better looking than FM2 to me.

That may very well be the case to you, but on a pure "check list" of technical improvements the game has seen many visual improvements. Scroll back a few pages to see a list of various upgrades, maybe you can see them then?

Back