[360] Forza Motorsport 3

I would take 60fps over improved visuals, simply because I know that visuals have limited satisfaction, whereas 60fps you will miss it...

Yamauchi doesn't even endorse anything under 60fps as a game if i remember.

LOL.. you so crazy...For a racing game like Forza 3, 60 fps is a necessar must.30 fps is fine for shooters but not for a racing game in my humble opinion.

I quite enjoyed PGR4 which was 30fps and it was pefectly playable too. NFSS is also 30fps and many people seem to like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphics look good to me, but I would take a bump down if it meant more cars on the grid. That's my biggest disappointment with Forza 3, is still only 8 cars on the grid.

Graphics look good to me, but I would take a bump down if it meant more cars on the grid. That's my biggest disappointment with Forza 3, is still only 8 cars on the grid.

IMO thats the best arguement for lowering down to 30fps.

Also, whats the point of running physics at 120fps when youre not going for a sim feel like GTR2 or Live for Speed? (unless theirs an option in the final game for the handling)

Also, whats the point of running physics at 120fps when youre not going for a sim feel like GTR2 or Live for Speed? (unless theirs an option in the final game for the handling)

FM3 physic is 360Hz…

Also, whats the point of running physics at 360Hz when youre not going for a sim feel like GTR2 or Live for Speed? (unless theirs an option in the final game for the handling)

It's a matter of what gets calculated over a distance covered in one second; it's about getting the information and then calculating.

Would the extra couple of tiles needed be that bad :?:

If they're using FP10 or some other HDR 32bpp method, that's an extra tile. If it's FP16, that's two more tiles @ 720p... hum...

I don't know if they use fp16, do any games really use that? We had messed with it a long time ago but found it too slow to be of use on both platforms, and it didn't seem needed on 360 when you have fp10. The hit going from two tiles to three tiles isn't as bad as it would seem. I think the docs had showed the vert load to be typically 1.4x with two tiles, and 1.6x with three tiles, or somewhere thereabouts. With an extra 16ms to play with, it would make 4xmsaa real easy to add.

Arwin said:
I'm at 221 out of 192,519 with the Lancer now, for instance, with a lap-time of 1:10:422.

Good god, I just saw this. Ok, I guess I really am a noob at this game, it's taking me longer than that with faster cars :(

I don't know if they use fp16, do any games really use that? We had messed with it a long time ago but found it too slow to be of use on both platforms, and it didn't seem needed on 360 when you have fp10. The hit going from two tiles to three tiles isn't as bad as it would seem. I think the docs had showed the vert load to be typically 1.4x with two tiles, and 1.6x with three tiles, or somewhere thereabouts. With an extra 16ms to play with, it would make 4xmsaa real easy to add.

Can't think of any that did. :)

mm.. with the amount of geometry in some games... boo. :p :(

Also, whats the point of running physics at 360hz when youre not going for a sim feel like GTR2 or Live for Speed? (unless theirs an option in the final game for the handling)

If you drive at 300 km\h you move 83 metres per second. At 360hz you are updating movement every 0,23 metres. If you update at say 30hz, your only going to update physics every 2,7 metres or for 60hz, 1,4metres.

Now obviously, a lot can happend in those 1,4 metres that would impact your handling\steering\speed\whatever. You need fast updates to get a meaningful working physics model

Here's a question ... if you're doing physics simulation at 360Hz, is it necessary to have more than 30fps if user input is polling at something like 60Hz or higher? Are there any games like that?

I definitely am a big fan of 60fps, but isn't user input normally tied to frame rate?

Here's a question ... if you're doing physics simulation at 360Hz, is it necessary to have more than 30fps if user input is polling at something like 60Hz or higher? Are there any games like that?

I definitely am a big fan of 60fps, but isn't user input normally tied to frame rate?

Input can be taken faster than your displayed framerate, but it's not entirely useful if you don't see the results of your actions when you do them. While not technically input lag in this case, I generally tend to lump it all together as the perception is that your input is lagging since you can't see the results of your actions until multiple frames later.

In games requiring fast, precise controls (racing/FPS) that can be killer. Personally I'm fine (even in pro comp. back when I was younger) with 30 fps display and 30-60 hz input. More FPS is nice, but I was never at a disadvantage when competing professionally at 30 fps compared to some opponents at 60 fps as long as my input lag (or perceived input lag) was close to zero.

Regards,
SB

Back