[360] Forza Motorsport 3

Could be, it seems like there is more stuff visible in the replay camera. Or maybe they didn't have time to optimize replay mode, if I remember right even in car camera was at 30fps not that long ago.

Regarding cockpit, didn't they change the FOV to be closer to the steering wheel. I mean was it not 30fps when the FOV was wider or maybe it is just some cars?

Good games both.

hah before your reply I was already racing with a Pagani Zonda R so for the work I included 2 pics. Now ofcourse these are the highest LODs for model mesh but it is same for repaly and ingame race on my version (modded). Polygon wise and texture wise. Sadly I dont know the polygon count for these models but honestly seems even more than Shift except cockpits where Shift is much better. However cars in Shift still looks far far better due to shaders. This gen IMO boils down to shaders and general scene detail.

Pagani Zonda R ~profile
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7106/gridpagani1.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6255/gridpagani2.jpg

350z profile
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6122/grid350z1.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2942/grid350z2.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4163/grid350z3.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1033/grid350z4.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3494/grid350z5.jpg

impressive shots, the PC version definitely shines over the two console versions, with better Rez, AA and better NPC detail.:eek:

i have the 360 version of GRID, and from what i can tell is that the 360 version's version has the same polygons for the car you're in, all the other cars change depending on how close they are to you. (though 360's LOD for NPCs is still pretty good)

well anyways, if it was a match between Forza3 and the console version of GRID, forza3 wins by having smoother looking cars, updated reflections, sharper reflections, richer environments, 60 fps, and with a way better looking cockpit mode.:smile:

How so? You don't have to split post process across cpu+gpu on 360, so you can glop motion blur + depth of field into other post process steps fairly cheaply. With luck, you could even get one of them almost free. Likewise, since texture sampling doesn't eat up alu's on 360, you can move sampler heavy code into an alu heavy post process step and potentially get it free.

I was actually going by comments from the Tekken 6 developers. You could be right of course.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, imo the game does feel a little more 'arcade' even with all the driving aids off. You can floor the GT3 in 1st from a stand still and it won't spin!?

I would think the GT3 is difficult to get it to spin from 1st gear (without a clutch dump), because it's a NA (max torque rather high up) car and especially because it's RR (rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive). If you include the factor of sticky tires, it would be pretty hard to get the wheels to spin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drive the track backwards in the demo. Personally, I find it flows better, is a bit more technical but without the randomness. The randomness being the humps and jumps going the other way. Best way to do is hot lapping from leaderboards.

I would think the GT3 is difficult to get it to spin from 1st gear (without a clutch dump), because it's a NA (max torque rather high up) car and especially because it's RR (rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive). If you include the factor of sticky tires, it would be pretty hard to get the wheels to spin.

I agree, the RR layout and race tires will give the GT3 excellent traction off the line.

Over on GAF one of their sim veterans gave this explanation for the peculiar 'arcadey' handling model present in the demo. He thinks the explanation lies with the elevation changes of the track.

My impression is that more than most games...elevation changes play a larger role in the car's handling.

We can all agree that pretty much everything else seems the same as most sims other than how you are able to accelerate out of a few turns without oversteering. Your tires in some cases keep good traction even when you supply them with a whole lot of torque. Other than this it is comparable to all other sims IMO.

We can all agree that with the Porche you can slam on the accelerator and come out of the first hairpin turn with little traction loss. We can all agree that on the last turn of the lap if you did the same thing you will oversteer.

I'm thinking that when you come down the hill and hit the banked hairpin all of your weight is transferred to your wheels due to inertia. Because of this you will need even more torque to make the tires slip.

It is like the highly banked corners found in the latter half of Nurburgring. If you can stay on the inside of those turns you can open up the throttle without worrying about oversteer because all of your weight is transferred to your wheels. This is because you are travelling on near even track and then hitting the bank. In the hairpin on the demo you are coming down a hill and then you hit that banked turn.

Let's contrast this to the final corner where if you slam on the accelerator you will spin out rather easily. This corner is quite flat and you are not benefiting from any extra weight to your wheels.

This is how I rationalize it because I can't see T10 dumbing down anything from FM2 to FM3. We know they were focused on making the handling more realistic than FM2 where it was too easy to lose control of your car.

I'm thinking that when you come down the hill and hit the banked hairpin all of your weight is transferred to your wheels due to inertia. Because of this you will need even more torque to make the tires slip.

Shouldn't this be the other way around? More traction on rear wheel tires due to more weight on the back when driving up hill. Less traction when going downhill because weight is on the front tires. So if you have RWD, you get little traction downhill, mucho traction uphill.

RWD is suprisingly good up hill in bad conditions because it gets more weight\traction on the rear wheels. Same reason why if you have a FWD car and want to go up a hill in bad conditions, it might be in your best interest to reverse up the hill. (Bad conditions = snow\whatever)

Tbh i reckon im gonna pass at FM3. The ingame graphics aren't very good compared to GT5, and after Turn10 went all out about how there is no bullshots blah blah blah (obviously we knew they where bullshots, but we didn't know that Photomode uses completely different quality models, and the real thing is not particularly awesome), i dont feel like giving them the satisfaction of getting away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone feel that the game is a lot easier?

I turn off all options and I dont seem to be spinning or under/over steer as I was in Forza 2

Feels arcade...

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, imo the game does feel a little more 'arcade' even with all the driving aids off. You can floor the GT3 in 1st from a stand still and it won't spin!?

I suggest you check your settings because if you have all the assist off while driving the Porsche and nail throttle off the line you *WILL* spin out, especially if you are not being careful to correct spin (i.e. don't touch the analog stick/wheel). Probably the biggest difference in the driving model is that the cars don't spin out as easily (although still quick possible). Instead under steer is a *big* issue as you will bleed off speed exceedingly fast. So while you won't be sliding out as easily (as FM2 really penalized you here) you will lose a lot of speed and in online racing you are going to get passed by easily. Likewise the Audi 4WD feels a lot better. If you hit a corner hot and try to turn you are pretty much screwed. But if you break coming in just right you can really take the corners very aggressively. FWD/RWD/4WD feel quite distinct in FM3 already.

And without even getting a chance to read the next two pages I can already see how these threads are going to go -- FUD.

Still waiting for "proof" there is no debris in FM2 ...

Shouldn't this be the other way around? More traction on rear wheel tires due to more weight on the back when driving up hill. Less traction when going downhill because weight is on the front tires. So if you have RWD, you get little traction downhill, mucho traction uphill.

Goto an incline and point your car uphill. If you have a high HP rwd car, turn off traction control and mash the gas. You'll light the tires up. Now turn the car around and do the same. You'll see your car rocket away. Do that same thing is a corner and the effects will be same. Up hill, you'll have tons of front end grip as you can turn the car with ease. Down hill, the front end is much easier to wash out. Ofcourse there's a point of balance where you can overdo one or the other but it holds true. The traction circle is effected by slope load as much as cornering forces.

RWD is suprisingly good up hill in bad conditions because it gets more weight\traction on the rear wheels. Same reason why if you have a FWD car and want to go up a hill in bad conditions, it might be in your best interest to reverse up the hill. (Bad conditions = snow\whatever)

Story time. Many years ago, I went upto a cabin owned by my previous job. This was in a 3000GT SL (FWD car). I parked the car in the garage nose first. The driveway was sloped down. It snowed over night and the driveway got ice on it. Tried to leave to go skiing and I'd try to back out. Each time the front end would start fishtailing (yes, it's weird to see this!) as I'd try to reverse back up the ramp. Long story short, had to call the tow truck. He explained how this happens often with new comers to the snow and the regulars know to back the car into the garage as it's easier to drive it out like that.

Think about Newtonian physics. Unless the engine is mounted on rails and can go back & forth (front & back) as the car goes up or down, the weight of the engine stays over whatever end of the car it's originally installed on. Other than the fuel tank contents, there's not a whole lot of fluid dynamics going on in a car that will significantly alter it's handling (although the tires can be argued as being affected by fluid dynamics).

Acceleration is the big factor here effecting traction. In any car, on any incline/decline, if you accelerate, you lose front wheel traction. When decelerating, you gain front-wheel traction.

Given your enjoyment of multiplayer games and your feelings about paying for XBOX Live I'm not sure I would have expected you to purchase the title for any reason, being "mad" at PR seems like a scapegoat, though I'm sure I will see this reason being repeated in many a post by others who had little to no intention of purchasing the title.

I enjoy multiplayer games ( i just dont bother to do team work because the average random player is very very very bad), and i do love racing games. I enjoyed the hell out of FM2.

Its just that with older age comes less spare time. Right now i just dont see any reason to get FM3. Im not to psyced about being able to put lots of bumber stickers on your car (dont get me wrong, the end result can be great, but i like clean original cars), and i dont feel that FM offers me anything else except for that, that i dont get in GT5. And knowing that GT5 will take up a lot of my time, id rather not. The poor graphics and PR just makes it easier to decide :)

As an aside, neither FM3 demo nor GT5:p blow me away, in fact, this is what I am finding for most of my games that others rave about, I can only attribute this to the size of my screen and seating distance.

I find I'm the same, although probably more because they are trying to make 5 year old hardware look good at 60fps. Both the Forza3 demo and GT5p look kinda sterile to me, you can just see all the shortcuts they are taking to hit 60fps which is unfortunate. The consoles are just darned old now, I kinda wish they would just do racing games at 30fps to give them a chance to keep up with the visuals. I mean they both look ok, but there is no hope of a 60fps game on these consoles blowing me away any more.

I find I'm the same, although probably more because they are trying to make 5 year old hardware look good at 60fps. Both the Forza3 demo and GT5p look kinda sterile to me, you can just see all the shortcuts they are taking to hit 60fps which is unfortunate. The consoles are just darned old now, I kinda wish they would just do racing games at 30fps to give them a chance to keep up with the visuals. I mean they both look ok, but there is no hope of a 60fps game on these consoles blowing me away any more.

Well, I think that GT has been investigating if they can go 30fps and compensate the lack of framerate with motion blur, dof and such, but aren't happy with it just yet. Forza 3 came from the exact opposite direction, with Forza 1 being 30fps and Turn10 realising that you really need 60fps for a racing game. For sweeping left / right camera movement such as you get when you take a sharp turn though, I feel you really need 60fps. In theory, if head-tracking really works well, then in the cockpit view, if you actually keep looking into the corners, 30fps may actually cut it - I know this is like cursing in Church (old Dutch saying) for some serious race fans, but I'm just keeping an open mind. ;)

Right now though, for a circuit based racing game, I think PD is spending its budget wisely on lighting and framerate. Forza 3 is fine too - I've really enjoyed driving the demo. Before anything else, it's still the actual driving that's got to wow me first. Forza 3 reminds me a lot of some of the old PC sims I've played, and although I have a few qualms with some of the stuff, the general gist of it is that it's fun to drive. If I like hotlapping in a game for an hour, then for me it's a good game. :)

I enjoy multiplayer games ( i just dont bother to do team work because the average random player is very very very bad), and i do love racing games. I enjoyed the hell out of FM2.

Its just that with older age comes less spare time. Right now i just dont see any reason to get FM3. Im not to psyced about being able to put lots of bumber stickers on your car (dont get me wrong, the end result can be great, but i like clean original cars), and i dont feel that FM offers me anything else except for that, that i dont get in GT5. And knowing that GT5 will take up a lot of my time, id rather not. The poor graphics and PR just makes it easier to decide :)

You don't think you would get enough playtime in between when F3 releases and when GT5 releases to justify buying it?

You don't think you would get enough playtime in between when F3 releases and when GT5 releases to justify buying it?

Not really. Fifa10,MW2 and uncharted are all coming out aswell. Tbh i wont have any time to play them until christmas. And when im finished with that, GT5 is here.

Ive stopped playing PC games aside from football manager on occasion, so console graphics are still looking good :)

Back