2007: 120Hz, Deep Color, Extreme CR and 1080p

I saw a TV @ the local BB, Samsung 120Hz LED Backlight model that was just drop-dead gorgeous. $4500 for a mere 40" though.

I seen a tv @ circuit city today(Samsung not sure what model) running POTC @ 120Hz and I was impress by the IQ..hands down the best Ive seen. The only thing is that the blu-ray disk was not formated for 120Hz which was causing a jitter between some of the frames.
The movie is 24Hz, which is a factor of 120Hz, so the judder problem you mention isn't inherent to the content on the disk. The problem was likely the result of the the Blu-ray player's output, introducing judder by expanding that 24fps flim content to 60hz.

The movie is 24Hz, which is a factor of 120Hz, so the judder problem you mention isn't inherent to the content on the disk. The problem was likely the result of the the Blu-ray player's output, introducing judder by expanding that 24fps flim content to 60hz.

He could talking about that interpolation crap the 120lcd's do that give it a stuttery video look. God, what a retarded feature that is............

Yeah, I honestly haven't paid much attention so I don't know if Samsung is doing interpolation or not, my point was mainly that the content on the disk isn't the issue.

He could talking about that interpolation crap the 120lcd's do that give it a stuttery video look. God, what a retarded feature that is............
I thought interpolation gave them an unusually smooth (and unnatural for 24fps films) look, or am I thinking of another feature? I've mentioned before how a BD PotC looked like a TV show on a 120hz LCD because of how smoothly it was panning. At least, I think it was the panning that confused me. Maybe it was how ppl moved.

Every demo I've ever seen on a 120Hz screen looks that way. Really makes me wish there was one for under $2 grand retail when I bought my tv... Oh well, there's always next time.

I thought interpolation gave them an unusually smooth (and unnatural for 24fps films) look, or am I thinking of another feature? I've mentioned before how a BD PotC looked like a TV show on a 120hz LCD because of how smoothly it was panning. At least, I think it was the panning that confused me. Maybe it was how ppl moved.

When it works, it really works well. When it doesn't it really fails horribly. The problem is othat the TV sets tracks which part of an individual frame moves where. Pans are obviously easy to do because there is little change in the frame outside the lateral translation, so correlating one frame to the next is easy. However when you have a frame with a lot of detail that changes a lot (translation) from frame to frame it breaks down, and generally horribly so. As an example watch Ice Age 2 and notice how the squirrels bushy tail turns into a seizure inducing flickering mess.

Still, for something like sports it might be really good.

Cheers

Yes, Circuit City sets the motion control to its highest setting on the Samsung LCD's so that film based content like POTC and Spiderman have that live video look. I just bought one of the last of Sony 60" A3000 and it also has 120hz. When Cinemotion is set to high it has the same effect.

Back