Look at this Google-cached (pulled down) PlayStation 3 page

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Panajev2001a, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Panajev2001a

Veteran

This guy, might not be a close insider anymore, but he was one of the VU coder at Naughty Dog ( Jak & Daxter ) for some time so I do not think he is a pure idiot...

2. Panajev2001a

Veteran

http://www.naughtydog.com/legacy/crash/timeline.htm

3. zurich

zurich Kendoka
    Veteran

Two things:

Is this bad?

4. Paul

Veteran

Holy shit Pana, nice find!

Edit, for some reason I saw zurich to have made the topic.. an idiot I am.

5. Panajev2001a

Veteran

No, it is not...

Things like Texture filtering ( which wuld be slow on a general purpose CPU, but it would be cheap to implement in Hardware thus it should be handled in silicon by the Pixel Engine Hardware ), sampling, etc... and all BASIC 3D features will have a Hardware implementation, but for the rest I do not mind to have nice APUs going the work... this is how DX is heading towards in a way... when the same unit will do Vertex and Pixel Shading we will not be far from the mdel this guy is talkign about.

This does not mean Sony will not provide nice high-level APIs and a nice C-like High-Level Shading Language for PlayStation 3 as I expect they do pay attention to developers ( in the realm of what is possible and logical ).

6. Paul

Veteran

What's the link for this page?

7. Panajev2001a

Veteran

The main page was pulled ( or down )... I found this cached on google...

No, I did not write this :p

8. Paul

Veteran

This guy has many of your same views.

However his polygon performance bit seems a bit odd, 1G Poly's? That's a bit low, incredibly low for a 1tflops machine.

9. zurich

zurich Kendoka
    Veteran

What about the other part, where he equates the APUs to more of a DSP than a CPU.. is that bad?

10. Fafalada

Veteran

Pretty nice writeup and all but...
    Hahahaha....
    ahem...
    bwahahahaha...
    :lol:

*wipes tears off eyes*
    Ok where was I...

I'd think they'd try to fit in 64bit instruction encoding somehow given the limited APU ram. After all we've managed with 32bit all the way until now on most riscs... well we'll see I guess.
    The one thing that'd warrant 128bit encoding in my eyes would be arbitrary mixing of int and fpu operands... (and no I didn't try to work out the math to see if it's even possible).

He makes a good point about pipeline depth, after all NVidia GPU stages go into hundreds, but keeping it hidden from the user it's never really an issue. Then again I would think that part of the reason for making the APU simplistic is to keep pipe depth low too.

11. Evil_Cloud

Veteran

"But PS3 isn't going to do 75 million triangles per second. Oh no. It's going to do a lot more than that. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that PS3 will, at peak, be capable of 1 billion triangles per second"

No?

12. Paul

Veteran

No what?

13. nelg

Veteran

14. chaphack

Veteran

(1 billion / 100 x 20) pps at 640x480x60hz? Does that take into account the best possible next generation textures and effects? How does upscaling everything to higher res taketh?

Pure software rendering, multicpus and 128~256mb sounds like a nightmare to old bred programmers..?

15. notAFanB

Veteran

he might be applying the current paradigm (texture filtering, effects etc..) to come up with that figue.

keep in mind that this is largely a wish list from looking at the patents so far.

from the article he seems to hold the opinion of 'sort of but not really'.
    looks like a devoping model will be shifted for PS3.

16. Vince

Veteran

This is the same on any hardware, I've often heard 30% as a rough-estimate - but this is probobly more realistic.

(a) Concerning Textures, read the article. Hell, he stated exactly what I did (think Faf helped too) around a year ago concerning the use of little/simple texturing and instead shade everything since you'll have such a fine granularity.

(b) What's an "Effect" - just naming blanket terms doesn't tell or give us anything to work with.

Speaking of this issue, where's Ben been? ;)

Do the Math.

You just want to find a problem, don't you? Ohh, and it's not "pure" software rendering - don't know where you got that from bud.

17. chaphack

Veteran

Nope, not finding troubles, no siree no! :lol:
    I hope if it upscales, it should upscales the textures and all. Many hi res games are just...hires, every other thing else stays the same.

18. notAFanB

Veteran

I think he is referring to all non-raster and filtering operatins.

not neccessarily a bad thing since the GPU model is kinda heading that way anyhow.

19. Vince

Veteran

Exactly.

20. notAFanB

Veteran

I don't know what you are talking about.

if you are referring to PC 'graphics' level settings then ou hardly see any that on a closed system like a console anyway.

if you are slating the PS2 for 480p (where applicable) but with blurry textures --> PS3 scenario then har har :lol:

seriously though textures are likely to be detailed enough and the granuarity of polygons should be interesting for next gen. (non-octagonal bins ...yaeh..).