1080p Tube TV's

mkillio

Regular
I was wondering if any companies make a 30"+ Widescreen tube TV that supports 1080p. I'm a big Samsung fan but their tubes don't support it.

kyleb said:
CRT HDTVs are interlaced by nature, so there really isn't reason for them to support 1080p.

Lots of TVs are also pro-scan... Don't see why some CRTs couldn't support 1080p, much like a lot of CRT Monitors also support very high pro-scan resolutions.
Now, the size of these 1080p CRTs is what really worries me... a 42-46" CRT is probably bigger than a Smart car... :oops:

london-boy said:
Lots of TVs are also pro-scan... Don't see why some CRTs couldn't support 1080p, much like a lot of CRT Monitors also support very high pro-scan resolutions.
Well manufactures could obviously build TVs out of the same tubes they use for those monitors, but my point was that they do nothing of the sort.
london-boy said:
Now, the size of these 1080p CRTs is what really worries me... a 42-46" CRT is probably bigger than a Smart car... :oops:
...and probably cost more than one too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
21-22" CRT monitors support 1536p :) (at something like 80Hz for good ones), so you could have a "small" 34" CRT 1080p.

without interlacing you have to use a higher refresh than on conventional TV. but you have those 100Hz SDTVs (120Hz in NTSC land?), and the PC CRT tech which continously gave us bigger, cheaper, higher res, faster monitors from 1987's overpriced 640x480, 60Hz 13" to 2001-2002 22" monitors.. but then industrials gave up on this tech, nothing really knew, nothing even produced anymore it seems. who knows how much it could have improved again!

I don't think we'll see any improvment on CRT HDTV, just because no one will invest in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is obviously becuase no one sees themself getting a worth-while return on any such investment; and, at least unless that ever changes, we can't have 1080p HD CRTs at 34" or any other size. ;)

Back