Too Human

I've played the demo and enjoyed it , I agreed with the more postive reviews based on my own experiance.

Some problems like falling through the world can be patched and will be patched. If I can have fun with the game and enjoy it I don't see why I would pay attention to the reviews. GTA4 got aamzing reviews but I played it for 2 hours and thought it was horrible (as I did with part 3) So honestly not every review is going to reflect the tastes of every gamer

Arstechnica has an excellent review of the game, it's very in-depth, and tries to take the game for what it is, ignoring the hype and drama.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/too-human-review.ars/

No score, but the conclusion:

The Good

• Source material is interesting and well-used
  • Great depth in character customization
  • Strong combat engine
  • Sharp graphical presentation
  • Drop-in, drop-out online co-op
  • High replayability
The Bad

• Controls aren't for everyone
  • No split-screen co-op
  • Menu and camera need work
  • Some distracting graphical bugs
  • Cyberspace portion of game is too linear
  • Difficulty balance is off as a result of A.I., death penalty
The Ugly

• Getting over the drama and just enjoying the game for what it is.

Normally, scores like the one recieved by Too Human would have encouraged me to avoid this title. But with all the hoopla at Gaf, the wide distribution of scores and the general "love or hate it" take of the game", I am going to purchase the title. I going to do this mainly because other than MGS4, none of the newly released titles have enticed me, but I'm dying to get something new and simple curiousity.

I once sit down with my nephew and played one of the newer Mortal Combats with the single player adventure mode (I'm not sure which one). All I remember while playing it was "this has got to be one of the worst experience in gaming as long as I can remember" and being totally flabbergasted :)shock:) that he actually enjoyed playing it. And I remember him being just as flabbergasted :)shock:) that I didn't enjoy it. I can't see Too Human being that bad but all this attention to this title is getting makes me want to find out. :D

Normally, scores like the one recieved by Too Human would have encouraged me to avoid this title. But with all the hoopla at Gaf, the wide distribution of scores and the general "love or hate it" take of the game", I am going to purchase the title. I going to do this mainly because other than MGS4, none of the newly released titles have enticed me, but I'm dying to get something new and simple curiousity.

I once sit down with my nephew and played one of the newer Mortal Combats with the single player adventure mode (I'm not sure which one). All I remember while playing it was "this has got to be one of the worst experience in gaming as long as I can remember" and being totally flabbergasted :)shock:) that he actually enjoyed playing it. And I remember him being just as flabbergasted :)shock:) that I didn't enjoy it. I can't see Too Human being that bad but all this attention to this title is getting makes me want to find out. :D

Try the demo first... And to even reference MGS4 in relation to this game... Oh brother...

You folks sure don't get it the first time around... http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1204305&postcount=217

[strike]*sigh* Thread clean-up in progress.[/strike]

All generalized review discussion that doesn't have anything to do with the game directly has been moved to the same thread spun-off from the Mass Effect thread, which also suffered from the same dilemma. Please continue Review discussion, counting, quality etc in the following thread: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=45535

I only got to play it for 2 hours yesterday but I enjoyed myself , there are a few things i'd change like the in game cut scenes that you can't skip , however so far its not bad at all. When I start playing co-op i should enjoy myself some more , as the bio engineer i was dieing alot at the lower levels but now i'm starting to kick ass

So I wasn't done with the game like I stated above. I did decide to go back and wrap things up since I was very near the end.

I fired the game up and continued my battle with GARM (frightening name, eh?). After unlocking the "Valkerie's Folly" acheivement (die 100 times), I defeated him (a gigantic cyber-dog that shakes explosive spikes at you in the same way a dog shakes water off it's back--I'm being serious) and moved on to the final boss battle.

It was a long and tedious journey--I racked my death count up to somewhere around 130-140 deaths (thanks to no way to heal yourself unless you smash crystals for orbs--wtf, no red potions a la Diablo?), hacked my way through countless lame looking zombies, sat through more cutscenes and even fell through a floor at one point. Good times! Well, I finally made my way to the final boss. Once I whupped up on it, I set the controller down and pondered how this game ended up being as unenjoyable as it was. There is a lot to it, but I think I've probably said enough with all my posts. The game is just not for everyone. Pick up this game only if you absolutely loved the demo.

I didn't play coop and am honestly not really interested in that. The game should be able to stand on it's own sans coop don't you think?

Not really , co-op was allways a big part of the game. It is a dungon crawler after all. You know i actually never played diablo 2 single player :)

Played this for about 4 hours last night, I like it. The animation is probably the signle biggest issue with the game and it rears it's head everywhere, better animnation in cut-scenes and gameplay would make such a huge difference with this game.

It's also pretty damn hard! I probably died about 10 times on the 2nd level there, but once I realized to always attack the ranged guys first it became manageable, the enemies are pretty repetative but when there's 40 or 50 on screen and you're ping ponging through them it's pretty damn fun.

The loot is very well done in this IMO, the armor sets are great and very powerful. Contrary to what I've read you do not get a new piece of armor every 10 minutes that is better than your previous one, I had a set of Level 8 dragon armor that I crafted from Blueprints, and it outranked items up to Level 11/12, finally around level 13 it started to become obselete, so it lasted me probably a solid 1.5 hours of gameplay.

Probably my favourite thing about the game is the settings, the Aesir world is just awesome, walking around with the massive structures, gold plated walls, gaurds bowing as you pass by, it's all pretty impressive.

Least favourite is probably the cumbersome inventory management, expecially charms/runes, and the crappy tutorials in how to use these items. Also, the Canadian manual for this thing is CRAP, since MS combined the english and french manual in one, there's absolutely no mention of runes, charms or any of the more advanced RPG aspects...little pet peeve that always bugs me.

With regards to the combat system, I think there's a very solid platform, but man it needs alot of polish, lots of stupid issues ruin it, off the top of my head there's some things that would really improve the overall feel:
1. If an enemy is on the ground, you should still be able to target him.
2. If I'm hitting an enemy, who takes more than one hit, he should REACT to being hit. If he has a shield, then repel me. Point is, everything should have some sort reaction to it.
3.Aiming with the two pistols needs a serious amount of work.
4. If there's no enemy to hit, don't swing your weapon! That would eliminate a ton of the problem with flailing in mid-air looking stupid.

The Camera is also pretty bad at times, epecially when firing your pistols while sourounded by enemies. At times it feels very intelligent, but again, lots and lots of polish needed here.

Not really , co-op was allways a big part of the game. It is a dungon crawler after all. You know i actually never played diablo 2 single player :)

I never played Diablo2 in single player either. Well, I did a little bit, but only to level up my character a bit to catch up with my friend. Too Human would be in the same boat for me.

So, I purchased and played the title last night. I and must say, I don't see whats all the hoopla is about. Its comes off as a pretty solid title. Not something that going to go down in my list of most memorable gaming experience but its not going to go down in my list of most terrible gaming experience either.

It has it pros and cons, but if this game is really a 60-70 score game then I have to reevaluate the influence that review scores have on me. I don't totally rely on them but most games I buy tend to score in the 80 and above range. I honestly like the game and I find the experience comparable to playing 90% of the current gen games that have scored much much better.

Major Cons:
-Cutscenes are really subpar in terms of animation.

Minor Cons:
-Camera, but given that Baldr moves like a pinball zipping in and out in every direction, the frantic and choatic speed of the gameplay would give any traditionally third person camera system fits.
-Cutscenes graphics aren't the greatest.
-Storyline prerequsite requirement of Norse mythology. I read up a little on Baldr, so it made the story less disjointed than it would be for someone who has no real knowledge of basic Norse mythology.
-Range weapons aiming is pretty weak, the ability to cycle through targets would have been a plus.

Major Pros
-Simple control scheme provides for a very visceral experience for an hack and slash.
-the variety and diversity of the loot. The ability to color your armor is also a major plus and makes mixing and matching armor a better experience, since you don't have to go around looking like you're are color blind with red armor boots, green boots and a blue helmet.

Minor Pros
-Norse mythology tied to futuristic setting is a pretty unique setting. I just wished the story was a little more flesh out with better cutscenes.

I actually figured out how to cycle between targets, basically push the right stick all the way to the outer edge, and then rotate it, this will cycle between all enemies in your line of site.

Decided to take the plunge with the Toys R Us "Buy 1, 2nd 50%" off.
I've just finished the 1st level and so far I'm enjoying the game.
The camera and framerate seems a bit better than the demo, also doesn't seem to level up as quick.

I was suprised that I had put in 3+ hours already. I haven't really dug deeply into the charms and runes. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

BTW, playing as a Beserker.

Decided to take the plunge with the Toys R Us "Buy 1, 2nd 50%" off.
I've just finished the 1st level and so far I'm enjoying the game.
The camera and framerate seems a bit better than the demo, also doesn't seem to level up as quick.

I was suprised that I had put in 3+ hours already. I haven't really dug deeply into the charms and runes. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

BTW, playing as a Beserker.

I am happy with my purchase too. The charms and runes takes a bit to get used to as you insert runes into the first tier charms to get the bonus but the second and third (?) tiered charms need to be inserted with first and second tier charms to complete the quest and get the bonuses.

I am happy with my purchase too. The charms and runes takes a bit to get used to as you insert runes into the first tier charms to get the bonus but the second and third (?) tiered charms need to be inserted with first and second tier charms to complete the quest and get the bonuses.

Yeah, I started to figure the charms out as well.
So far I've completed around four Level 1 charms and am working on two Level 2 charms.

I am in the beginning of the 3rd level. It seems that the game appears to be quite a bit smoother than the demo and really feels good around level 15 or so.

From what I hear, when you get to level 30 and higher the character movement is intense.

It's really the kind of game that grows on you the more you play it. I'm very happy with my purchase. I thought I'd be playing more Guitar Hero Aerosmith when I bought them both, to date I haven't even open it yet.

Is the online limited to friends list only? Halo 3 like, which sucks or Rainbow Six 6 like, where you have you can see all the games posted and join.

Is the online limited to friends list only? Halo 3 like, which sucks or Rainbow Six 6 like, where you have you can see all the games posted and join.

I haven't played with it online yet, but I've read on Neogaf about some "rude" players on co-op so I would assume they do not have to be from your friends list.

I will try co-op after completion of the campaign mode. Also, most players doing co-op have their characters leveled up 17 or so.

Back