BSG being milked like any other successful show on TV....

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
I knew it was inevitable but I was *really* hoping that they'd decide to end the show early by keeping it moving forward fast vs. dragging it out season after season.

The last few episodes have been just pitiful compared to the other seasons. I fully expect a great ending to this season along with an awesome opening episode for the next season. After that however, we'll see them go back to dedicating entire episodes to side plots.

I have not given up on it but another season of this and I'm out. I don't mind the side plots but keep the core of the show moving at a fast pace. That's what really got me hooked on the show in the first place!

Anyone else feel similar?

I like lovey dovey and family drama in my action/sci-fi shows like Smallville and Alias but BSG is getting ridiculous. I didn't even finish watching that one episode with the boxing. But you gotta admit no matter how much you want them to go back to forwarding the overall plot at least the drama is written well, just wish they would do all of that in a seperate spin-off series like that Caprica series that is coming, turn that into a soap opera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bsg is getting extremely bad, extremely fast. Sure, i am in for character development and all, but this is ridiculous. This is worse than a brazilian soap opera. The boxing episode was atrocious. Anyone who defends bsg's last episodes is a hypocrite.

You dont have to dedicate entire episodes to character development. These episodes are just fillers with no purpose other than milking the series. I mean, take prison break for example. You have awsome characters which are very well developed. Even "fillers" on prison break are cool and the plot always progresses. Prison break shows the right way to character development. Which should happen during the development of the main plot.

I havent watched the last 2-3 episodes of bsg simply because i got tired of it. I will probably watch them once i get some free time, but i am not in a big hurry. And to think that i actually criticized "Lost" and how bs show it was. And true, season 1 of lost was a joke IMO. But Lost is getting actually better lately, unlike bsg which is getting worse.

PS Heroes is good but still it is a bit "lite" for me.

Babylon 5 was a great show, but I agree it's going down hill fast.

Here are the major problems in my opinion.

First of all, the Cylons were very interesting the first season. Also, the non corporeal blond woman was interesting too. They could have done so much with the Cylons and could have made them to be something really unique. But what are they right now? For example, they don't "talk to god" like they claimed early in the series but apparently take instructions from prophets in a tub of goo that ramble on and on incoherently. Additionally, why is it that a pretty pathetic small group of Cylons are making all the big decisions on their own? It seemed in the first season they took their orders from god. Now, the squabble with each other and even betray one another.

In my opinion, they have ruined the "Cylon" element of the show and they know it. The "Cylons" they have created are border-line ridiculous and nothing like I had hoped for while watching the first season. Also, the non-corporeal blond woman that appears to Baltar has never been explained properly. The last we heard she was an angel from god, but we still don't have any more answers. Now of course an additional non-coporeal entity that looks like Baltar haunts the blond physical Cylon model.

This is the way things should have went. Way far back in Cylon space there should have been a home-world somewhere. From there the Cylons would literally "speak with god." Since they all have at least to some extent a hive mind they would all be capable of "speaking" to god. But this so called "god" would really be a demonic or "evil" entity. This same entity would be the one that sent the "angel" (lower demon) to Baltar. Eventually, this should have been revealed.

The top Cylons on the home world would issue the orders to the base ships in the field. This could be done via hive mind, electromagnetic communication (think sub-space transmission in star trek), or "angels" could appear to deliver the orders.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Baltar appearing to the blond Cylon. It really confuses everything. Is that entity from the demonic Cylon "god" or is it a true angel (or good entity) from the human "god"?

Also, what's stupid is that two Cylon "heros" could convince the entire Cylon civilization to stop attacking the humans and build New Caprica. They claimed to speak to their god and that their god ordered them to attack the human colonies. Why in the world would he want them to build a New Caprica? The fact a couple Cylons with a little tiny speck of a heart can go against the literal spoken word of god and bring the entire war to a halt is downright ridiculous.

Now the whole Cylon, talking to "god", and non-corporeal entity aspect of Battlestar Galactica is completely convoluted. I don't think there is anyway they can fix it.

Secondly, your right about the side stories. I don't like the fact that most of an entire episode was about Adama's ex-wife. It was a good episode in my opinion, but I want to watch SCIFI and not a soap opera. If she was still in his life and appearing on the show that would be one thing. But his ex-wife had been dead for a long time and it's silly to devote an entire episode to it. They could have mentioned it, but they spent too much time on it.

I wonder if they ended the New Caprica interlude sooner than they originally intended and then had to vamp with these filler episodes of late. None of them are really bad episodes as such, but in past years you'd have one of these eps every third ep or so, rather than having had several bunched together like this. It doesn't feel like they know where to go from here. A Baltar trial is not enough by past standards to drive the plot forward. In the past they always had 3 or more major plot threads (not including character development type stuff, I mean plot threads) running at any one time.

Problem with the Baltar trial line is that the Baltar character is turning in to a self-parody. TBH I no longer care whether he's a Cylon or not. He doesn't even come across as a proper Judas. He's just pathetic. I wish they'd shove him out of an airlock purely to get him out of my face, never mind anything else.

They've got rid of Lucy Lawless for no apparent plot reason (though her character was getting irritating too).

Has half the writing team left, or something? Certainly smacks of that.

I've been majorly disapointed the last few episodes, so much so that I haven't even finished up watching last weeks.

I'm tired of the soap opera in space, I want it more sci fi. :(

What I want to know is: What's up with keeping that "And they have a plan" tagline? Seems to me that went out the window a year ago with ep. #218 - Downloaded. After a year of exploring the Cylon 'humanity', they seem more like a bunch of twats that doesn't know what the hell they're doing...

The Cylons were created by man.

They rebelled.

They evolved.

There are many copies.

And they have a plan.

But it didn't work so well.

Then they switched to plan B.

That one flopped.

Now they're just sort of winging it.

Heres what id do to save the show:
Ready ?
Lesbian cylons.............

The Cylons were created by man.

They rebelled.

They evolved.

There are many copies.

And they have a plan.

But it didn't work so well.

Then they switched to plan B.

That one flopped.

Now they're just sort of winging it.

Heres what id do to save the show:
Ready ?
Lesbian cylons.............

With hefty full nude sexsceens...

Another week and another shitty episode. Yes, we really care about unions and the miners. Next week's seems to be another one of these.....

Personally, I've always been on the side of the Cylons. All the humans were such idiots acting idiotically (and they still are) that they deserved to become extinct. Unfortunately, in the current series, the Cylons are acting just as idiotically so they deserve to die as well. I suppose it's too much to ask for us to have a third party come along and wipe them all out? :devilish:

I've got the two previous episodes sitting in my PVR which I haven't yet bothered to watch. I've not even recorded this week's episode (though I can catch it later in the week). Contrast this to the first series where I watched every episode as it was broadcasted.

It's just a pity that nobody seems to be able to script a limited show with a planned beginning, middle and end. I quite enjoyed "The Lost Room", because it was relatively short, sweet and actually reached a conclusion.

The last episode with Kara dying.....Wow! I couldn't have scripted a worse way to kill her off. Can only wait for this weeks gem!

I thought that was how the show worked?
Blow the season budget on 2 or 3 episodes, fill the rest up with 2 set drama plays..?

They need to bring back xena too. Just for the sheer hell of it. And she's a NZ'er, which makes the atrocious acting and dialog more bearable. Just.

Back