Weird issues with NVidia drivers.

This is starting to get really annoying.

Some things that I'm experiencing with the NVidia drivers for my 1070 that I haven't experienced with AMD drivers on my other machines.

1. Sometimes if a page crashes in IE11, IE11 will no longer render pages instead just showing a blank white page until the next time IE11 is restarted.

2. Horribly slow WMV searching. IE - moving to a different part of a video or fast forward/reverse at X second intervals.

3. Sometimes high resolution (4K or greater) video causes the video playing application to just show black with audio still playing. Happens in multiple video players when NVidia CUVID is chosen as the hardware decoder. On the flip side, this makes playback (and random movement through a video) much better for HEVC encoded videos, and significantly better than my other machines with AMD hardware.

4. After an extended period of time, Explorer can sometimes become less responsive. At first I didn't connect this to NVidia drivers. However, just now as this happened I figured I'd install the newest drivers for the 1070 since I figured I'd be rebooting the computer anyway to fix the Explorer issue (end task and restart on explorer had no effect). Imagine my surprise when after the NVidia driver install, explorer is now working at the speed it should be working at.

OK, the first 3 I can understand. But WTF are the NVidia drivers doing F-ing with Windows Explorer? It was so bad it was even preventing Remote Desktop from connecting to another machine on the network. Oh and it also prevented connecting to any shared folder resources on any other machine on the network. All magically fixed when I updated the NVidia drivers without rebooting.

I hadn't even connected the dots that this behavior with explorer and network resources only started happening after installing the 1070 on this machine. Seriously, WTF are the drivers doing messing with either Explorer or network connectivity with other machines on the network (internet still worked fine, however).

Regards,
SB

Something's up with nVidia. My 970 driver keeps crashing (sometimes completely locking up my system), and it only seems to be since the end-of-August driver update.

Nv drivers seem to issue some strange commands
8x0Gssp.jpg

Well, at least the latest NVidia drivers I installed managed to take care of a problem in the last NVidia drivers that would randomly corrupt elements of a browser window until the window was minimized and then restored.

I don't know what's up, but NVidia's drivers for the 1070 seem to be far worse than anything I've ever experienced since the really bad drivers ATI used to have back before the 9700 pro.

Regards,
SB

I really haven't had any weird issues with NV in recent memory. I have two different GTX 970s currently. I just sold off my older-ish notebook with GTX 860M.

Well, sometimes on my HTPC the mouse cursor is missing when I wake the PC. It reappears after about a minute though. I think that might actually be a Windows 10 multi-monitor quirk. Sometimes Windows also messes up the taskbar (clock is missing, etc). I use an oddball dual HDMI setup (TV + receiver for audio).

I use MPC-HC (using EVR rendering) for video, and Firefox or Chrome (rarely IE or Edge). No problems there.

I have noticed that GPUs seem to have teething pains. Intel Skylake for example has had problems with video playback freezing the system and Firefox rendering corruption until recently. I'm sure I had some kind of trouble with my 970s that I can't remember anymore. And of course AMD had some weird issues too like gigantic mouse pointers, GDDR5 GSODs and Flash BSODs.

Last edited:
Haven't had the mouse issue or taskbar issue yet on Win10 with either AMD or NVidia (knock on wood).

I have to say however, that in day to day tasks, AMD so far is a far more pleasant and trouble free Win10 experience. On the flip side, video playback is far superior on the NVidia machine on everything except for WMV v3 files, at least until it decides to glitch out. It's particularly bad with WMV v3 files compared to AMD, however. Not relevant for many people I imagine, but I still have a lot of videos that are encoded in that.

Someday I'll have to make the effort to re-encode them in something more modern.

Regards,
SB

Starting to think Nvidia must hate Microsoft.

Just ran into another weird bug with Nvidia drivers + Edge. Only just noticed since I'm using Edge again to get the bonus 150 browsing points for Oct.

If I browse photos through the Bing image search, it'll then make it so you can't earn any points for searches until you restart the browser. This doesn't happen on my AMD systems. Annoying as all hell since the daily Bing bonus points sometimes pulls up some nice images.

It's also currently preventing me from actually doing the Doubleshot quiz until I restart the browser. Ugh.

Right now I'm really wishing AMD was more competitive in the high end. I'm really getting sick and tired of having to deal with these half-assed NVidia drivers.

Regards,
SB

Back