Enchant Arms PS3

Aww, poor Makoto.

It is quite a good game, though I think having watched that video that my decision to play it through with japanese dialogue was a good choice. They could have included some even dodgier parts (the 'good ending').

:)

Whats interesting however, is that even tho this enchant arms games apparently had a storage problem, and couldnt higher quality textures in, the game is on 6.41 GB (6886573751 bytes) big..

While im not a developer (yet), im pretty confident that i could fit a couple textures in thouse 2 gb's.

The most annoying thing about this game is the cut scenes, and how they make you press 'A' every 4 words...
They give you an option toward the beginning to pick the way you want the voice to play and text to be displayed. If that is what you got you likely picked the option that doesn't suit you.

I do like the fact that this game has a "save anywhere" option and wish that all JRPGs on the 360 have this option. I bought this game the day it was released in the states and just finished it this week. If it didn't have a save anywhere option I probably would be half way through the thing.

They give you an option toward the beginning to pick the way you want the voice to play and text to be displayed. If that is what you got you likely picked the option that doesn't suit you.

I do like the fact that this game has a "save anywhere" option and wish that all JRPGs on the 360 have this option. I bought this game the day it was released in the states and just finished it this week. If it didn't have a save anywhere option I probably would be half way through the thing.

Really? I know I toggled an option in the settings, but it never had a real big effect.

Alot of cutscenes just play out, but others force you to click A all the time. you don't have to do this??

Anyways, this is probably the most critically underrated x360 launch games. It has moments that are pretty breathtaking, and all though the environments are very static, and it doesn't quite pull off the next gen feel, it's a really really gorgeous game coming off of XBOX or PS2. I mean, FF12 compared to EA, there is no comparison, FF12 is just a blurry, brown, mess.

Also, the battle system is awesome imo, just because it's different. And it had a good amount of optional, hard sections, that forced you to go back later after you had leveled up. The four elemental golems have to be the best in the game, my favourite golem was probably Divine Turtle, who could cast -50% damage on the entire party, essentially doubling your HP. AP0 is up there too though, probably the best non-elemental golem, with his ability to drain from the entire enemy grid, regardless of it's positioning, and the ability to charge up all combination meters for your party in one turn. I had quite a few battles where AP0 would be the last man (or Blob!) standing, and would take out the rest of the baddies himself, just because it's real hard to kill it with it's drain powers.

Really, the entire golem thing, and grid combat just gave you so many different options on how you could enage in combat, it was a great change of pace from the more traditional RPG's.

The biggest turn off at first was the dialogue, and how STUPID the main character was. But at some point, you realize it's all tongue-in-cheek, and that they are actually poking fun at the genre itself by laying it on so thick, at that point I didn't mind and actually had a couple laughs once I started getting the joke. Also, the main character gets alot smarter fairly quickly, so he's not so damn clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda hoping that this'll be the "Shadow Hearts" of the 360. Kinda mediocre when it first launched, having a dedicated fanbase. Then coming back with a vengeance later when they've figured the inner-workings of the system and have a bigger budget. ;)

To sum up what I've heard about the game (with no claim to authority of course):
  • genericky JRPG; as in competent but with few things to really love
  • random placement of characters on the battle grid can create unfair situations up to aggravating party wipeouts
  • intolerable dialog writing and voice acting, both in amount and quality
  • starts kinda slow and stays kinda slow
  • scooby_dooby likes the Golem mechanic :)

On a personal note (pun upcoming!), does the music in the game get better? I've heard the starting area (academy) theme, because I watched the xboxyde "10 minutes" flics, and according to my taste-o-meter the music there is pretty shitty.

• random placement of characters on the battle grid can create unfair situations up to aggravating party wipeouts.
this is a pretty nitpicky one, if your character's aren't mobile enough then you should put some points into their agility rating, also, there's a support skill you can purchase later in the game (when it actually gets kinda hard) which allows free movement to all open squares, you can equip it on all party members permanently.

I would actually list that as a positive, as it keeps the battles interesting.

Another big positive for this game is the fast forwards feature for fights, more JRPG's should adapt it.

this is a pretty nitpicky one, if your character's aren't mobile enough then you should put some points into their agility rating, also, there's a support skill you can purchase later in the game (when it actually gets kinda hard) which allows free movement to all open squares, you can equip it on all party members permanently.

I would actually list that as a positive, as it keeps the battles interesting.
You sure this affects initial placement, and not just movement ability? I haven't played the game, just watched some footage, and, err, the 1up coverage.
If that's actually another layer of strategy, I suppose it's a good thing.
scooby_dooby said:
Another big positive for this game is the fast forwards feature for fights, more JRPG's should adapt it.
Yeah, it's nice to see how many RPGs now finally start doing something about random battles. Blue Dragon springs to mind, too. The classic Final Fantasy style of running into a battle every n steps looks like such a bad idea now.

You sure this affects initial placement, and not just movement ability? I haven't played the game, just watched some footage, and, err, the 1up coverage.
If that's actually another layer of strategy, I suppose it's a good thing.

it doesn't affect initial placement, but you almost always move first(unless you're totaly overmatched), so if you can move to any square on the board then starting placement is irrelevent.

If you don't have the support skill, you can still increase agility so character can move 3 or 4 squares which makes them fairly mobile. Golems can't use support skills, but you can upgrade their agility, and the most powerful golems are all fairly mobile.

Didnt see this posted, but it looks like it's actually coming over here (NA that is) in march (and my guess, if it comes to NA, it will come to EU as well).
http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=4354

Press Release:
SAN FRANCISCO – January 11, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced that Enchanted Arms™ is being developed for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and will be available in stores this March. Enchanted Arms is being created by development studio FromSoftware in Japan and is one of the first true next-generation Japanese role-playing games (RPG) arriving on the PLAYSTATION 3 system. The adventure takes place in a fantasy world filled with beautiful cinematic graphics and vibrant characters. It includes more than 50 hours of gameplay and is the only next-gen RPG with the fast-action SpeedTactics Battle System, which enables the player to move his or her characters and use distance-dependent attacks while in battle.

In Enchanted Arms, players will embark on an epic RPG adventure and escape to a fantasy world filled with unique and bizarre creatures. Taking the role of Atsuma, enchanter-in-training, players will transform from a naïve student into the most powerful savior in a war 1,000 years in the making. In an immersive, deep storyline filled with increasingly difficult challenges, players will meet new allies and master Atsuma’s special fighting and magic abilities.

Key Features Include:

* SIXAXIS™ Wireless Controller Integration Provides an Immersive Experience:
Use the motion-sensitive controller to harness weapons, recover your EX power meter, unlock more powerful attacks and solve puzzles.
* Master the SpeedTactics Battle System: Easy-to-navigate interface, the ability to move characters in-battle and distance-dependent attacks combine to create fast-paced, hands-on gameplay.
* More Than 500 Characters, Including 130 Unlockable Creatures You Control: Find and unlock 130 controllable creatures to use in battle as part of your team. Customize your party and learn to harness their unique abilities. Includes 30 all new creatures exclusive to the PLAYSTATION 3 system.
* Includes Both the Original Japanese and an All-New English Language Track: Choose to play the game with either Japanese or English dialogue.
* More Than 50 Hours of Epic Gameplay: Delve deeper as you meet new characters and explore over 75 environments with multiple objectives and branching missions.
* Includes More Than an Hour of Anime Cinematics and Video: Including ten minutes of all-new exclusive video.

For more information about Enchanted Arms, please visit www.enchantedarmsgame.com.
Kinda odd considering the "Only on Xbox 360" logo on the website. .

Good news. Was going to pick up the 360 version sometime if this updated version wasn't hitting the states.

Seems like a mediocre, if not solid, JRPG. One of those every once in a while doesn't hurt.

the game begs to be played with the sound off, other than that its not so bad, at least from my experiences with the 360 version

Back