MIA: Killzone PS3?

I wouldn't say always, unless some companies have a very wierd strategy! We've all seen pics from games early in development that look plain manky and turned people off!

::Cough:: Turn 10 ::Cough::

Even more, uhhh, surprising is some of these PR people think the stuff looks good. Quite shocking if you ask me.

I don't think Killzone PS3 was "deep in development" in Spring 2005. They probably had a small number of people starting work on it then, but they were still fleshing out the team in a big way at the end of 2005.

Is this your own pontificating or did I miss something? I ask because Sony's direct response in regards to the quality of the E3 footage was that it had been keeping it secret and the dev kits had been out there and devs were doing amazing things with them, only scratching the surface. The direct impression from Sony is that the title had been in development, secretly, on PS3 dev kits for a while before E3 2005.

Is this your own pontificating or did I miss something? I ask because Sony's direct response in regards to the quality of the E3 footage was that it had been keeping it secret and the dev kits had been out there and devs were doing amazing things with them, only scratching the surface. The direct impression from Sony is that the title had been in development, secretly, on PS3 dev kits for a while before E3 2005.

Trying to avoid the potential minefield of yet another Jack Tretton debate... the issue was brought up a couple of months ago by a developer from Relic. They had recently hired some ex Guerrilla staff and he mentioned the state of development that Killzone was in at E3 2005:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3633981&postcount=276
I've been informed that not only were preliminary game designs already in place during last year's E3, but initial work on in-game assets had also started at that time.
The statement was made to rebuke claims that there was not a single in-game asset of Killzone in place by E3 2005. I don't think that quite qualifies as 'deep into development' myself.

this time ps3 has the ability to produce for fps what ps2 simply couldnt.
I have not doubt that we will see very good fps's on ps3. of course not like "real soon",
but I'm willing to bet that some top franchises will be fps's

killzone footage shown at e3, immediately made that game in the eyes of most fans as the playstation halo. it was a promise.

it doesnt matter that it was 100% cgi from a special effects company.
they denied it, and by doing that the believers believed. thats pure strategy there.
what I'd like to happen, -which for me is the best case scenario- is that they went/they'll go for a fps based on UE (probably best tool available right now),
using it to produce some of the best art and direction fps game. that should be the target. nothing less.
with this scenario, maybe by late 2007-2008 they will have prepared a very good game.
anyway, the closest thing to that cgi movie we saw yet, is gears, a ue based game.
but they'd have to top that, and they know it. I think they will partly succeed.

but
having said that, you all do know that that killzone film back at 05e3, will be a huge cocumber stuck up in sony's a$$ no matter what they do. for many years.
shifting standards tacticts where not discovered today, and for sure they werent discovered by sony.

I sure hope they won't use UE3 for Killzone PS3. I'm getting sick and tired of UE3 games, the games look good but they all have that same look in them in the end IMO.

Now that being said, don't expect anything from Killzone PS3 before E3 07 or something. I don't think the game will look as good as it did in the video, but if it does, great. :)

I'm sure the game will look awesome no matter what, but I hope they deliver in the gameplay aspect aswell.

this time ps3 has the ability to produce for fps what ps2 simply couldnt.
I have not doubt that we will see very good fps's on ps3. of course not like "real soon",
but I'm willing to bet that some top franchises will be fps's

killzone footage shown at e3, immediately made that game in the eyes of most fans as the playstation halo. it was a promise.

it doesnt matter that it was 100% cgi from a special effects company.
they denied it, and by doing that the believers believed. thats pure strategy there.
what I'd like to happen, -which for me is the best case scenario- is that they went/they'll go for a fps based on UE (probably best tool available right now),
using it to produce some of the best art and direction fps game. that should be the target. nothing less.
with this scenario, maybe by late 2007-2008 they will have prepared a very good game.
anyway, the closest thing to that cgi movie we saw yet, is gears, a ue based game.
but they'd have to top that, and they know it. I think they will partly succeed.

but
having said that, you all do know that that killzone film back at 05e3, will be a huge cocumber stuck up in sony's a$$ no matter what they do. for many years.
shifting standards tacticts where not discovered today, and for sure they werent discovered by sony.

Most people who will eventually buy a PS3 will probably have never seen the Killzone trailer. I seriously doubt that this would be a cucumber up Sony's a$$. Maybe like a pimple.
And no good FPS for PS3 "real soon"? Resistance seems to have some very good buzz sorrounding it and the screens and vids of it look pretty good to me.

sankari its not like I am selling UE or something. :D
dont hold that against me. its just that it seems the best possible solution for good results rather soon.
I think killzone e7 2008 edition or 2009 just wont do. it has to be a bit sooner.

@dizzyd I will try resistance the minute I can get my hands on it. but its no killzone video caliber.

Sony needs to have some games to contend with MS releases next year.

They also need a definitive answer to Halo. Killzone is supposed to be the answer. I doubt we will see anything on Killzone until Halo 3 surfaces more or a release date is announced.

Speng.

dont hold that against me. its just that it seems the best possible solution for good results rather soon.
I think killzone e7 2008 edition or 2009 just wont do. it has to be a bit sooner.

@dizzyd I will try resistance the minute I can get my hands on it. but its no killzone video caliber.

Did you see the video where Hale eventually runs onto the square and this helicopter like thing is hovering over the square with ropes hanging down, and a squad coming down from it? (very convincing rope physics btw) Hale then runs along with these guys as they die left and right with artillery coming in.

It was this moment that made me feel Killzone like gameplay could be very well done with this engine. And I feel that the game, in its latest build (for instance the London demo where Insomniac's boss demonstrates the weapons) beats everything currently out there, with a fair margin. It may not always have the absolute best art, and I don't like bullet time on that sniper rifle (fortunately it's not in multi-player) but darn if that game doesn't look awesome and has a lot of things going on, as well as some really cool AI (like that 4 legged monster finding his way in very complex environment, and not losing track of Hale as he navigates the buildings to find a vantage point).

Now we've carefully been prevented to see some of the scripted gameplay, so we can't judge how well that turns out, but this game looks absolutely ace.

I also think that because it has so many different environments and supports 40 player multiplayer, with a lot of depth to the weapons and some great multi-player gametypes, this game should be a great online multi-player game, rivalling anything currently out there and more.

In my honest opinion, the Guerilla team should only be so lucky if they manage to even match Insomniac's Resistance. Perhaps they will come up with a more compelling story, or more beautiful art, but Insomniac sure has got a great handle on the PS3. There is really nothing out there like it at the moment. It's awesome. I can't wait to see this game live (in 1080p? I would be very impressed) and am eagerly waiting to see Insomniac's next project also.

In my opinion, Halo's strength lay not in its graphics, but in the quality and balance of its multi-player. Currently, it's Resistance that is challenging Halo, Killzone, well, we'll have to wait and see. Liberation on PSP seems to be a fair reminder of not underestimating Guerilla's potential, though - they sure did a good job squeezing performance out of the PS2, but let's not forget the PS2's 'Halo' was Socom, not Killzone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You bring up very good points Arwin.

The single player for resistance from the looks of it is awesome and has great story, but the multiplayer aspect is what interests me the most. I hope the demo booths of PS3 will have a demo of Resistance when they finally show up! :)

Disagree. It was Halo 1 that single handidly created the XBOX's perception as the graphically superior console.

I thought DOA3 did that, honestly.

Halo for me, was impressive because it everything else about it in addition to the sharp visuals.
The scope, score, AI, gameplay mechanics, immersiveness, etc..then the multi-player.

Not saying it is that caliber (what is? And I am not just talking about the GFX but animation too). I'm just saying that it looks to be a good FPS. Time will tell though, but its promising.

arwin and sankari: a question: do you have a 360?
I mean, I guess the perception of something it is a matter of experience as well.

because I try to understand some comments.

as I said I think experience matters.
I've been playing cod2 since last december. add condemned. add halo2 (720p scaled). add perfect dark (which on the hardest difficulty settings provides some really great experiences on online co-op play, regardless the fud). add graw. add battlefield2.

all these games had something special. each one offered something, had its special moment. each to its own, but all in HD, all FPS.
I've played all these extensively as you can easily find out by checking my tag. I have more fps than those, but these are enough to mention for this point.
not only me. all 360 users.
and now xbox 360 owners have seen and expect real soon stuff like rainbow6 vegas and gears.

I mean, its judging the same thing but from a different perspective. I dont know if you can understand me.
the wow factor is bound to be different for those that have a 360 compared to those that dont.
I believe resistance might turn out to be a great game. probably the most important launch game.
it just doesnt do anything magick for me. yet. (hope dies last always :D)

They also need a definitive answer to Halo. Killzone is supposed to be the answer.

It's interesting to note that the Halo franchise (2 games on Xbox and one PC port) sold at least 10 times as many copies as Killzone. It's like sending a 14-year old boy to fight a gorilla.

I hope Resistance turns out well. But year after year of FPS, it takes more for me to be impressed with one. Doom, Half-Life, Quake, COD, Riddick, BF2, and GRAW I remember most notably. Each had something to it that made them distinctively good. For me, next gen FPS will have to do something pretty special to make their mark. Battlefield: Bad Company seems like it'll be one of the first to do that IMO.

Isn't the answer to KZone's no show @ TGS fairly obvious?

You (Sony) have a launch FPS in Resistance, that you have been touting as the consoles premiere launch title, that has been gathering good, positive momentum and that you want people to know about.

Why would you then change this tact by unveling Killzone and diverting peoples attention from a title that is going to be available at launch, to a title that's release date is TBA. It does not make sense in any shape, way or form. Reserve the hype (or the letdown that some people hope for) from KZone for another time, next year @ E3 no doubt.

Sometimes the answer is obvious. EDIT: And also the game is probably not in a state to be shown yet.

EDIT: Replace e3 with similar Sony focused event etc.

Back