New GoW screens!

well with the bottom 2 screenshots fue to the capture quality (handheld camera) its to hard to see practically anything, but one glaring thing is theyre using lightmapping, thus no true unified lighting, which is obvious from the ingame videos also.
wioll this game feature any wide open space? or is it just gonna be corridoors and courtyards.

It's definitely gorgeous in stills. But I'm wondering how it looks in motion? A gorgeous game that stutters and sputters along = meh.

Any mentions regarding fluidity?

They're aiming for steady 30fps. We will know how close they're to their goal after X06

Don't be ridiculous - the differences are pretty obvious in texture color, facial features, even to the model itself in parts. Shaders have been finetuned as well.

Yeah, after more examination the game seems to be upgraded from the initial renders. It's funny that a bunch of ******s are screaming downgraded when that's clearly not the case. Guess we'll see for sure come X06.

I wonder whats the point of comparing off screen bad quality pics with direct feed good quality pics to come up with conclusions.

They are incomparable. End of story. For both camps that claim its worse or better

well with the bottom 2 screenshots fue to the capture quality (handheld camera) its to hard to see practically anything, but one glaring thing is theyre using lightmapping, thus no true unified lighting, which is obvious from the ingame videos also.
wioll this game feature any wide open space? or is it just gonna be corridoors and courtyards.

Lightmaps are a method for shadowing. UE3 was never meant to have unified shadowing, it uses stencils, precomputed shadow masks, directional light mapping and shadow buffers depending on various circumstances to provide the shadow term for the lighting. The lighting itself is what's more or less unified.

Doom3 on the other hand used a unified shadow + lighting system originally (though in the end they've used some simple lightmaps, too).

Anyway, in general, nextgen games are usually far too complex to work with a single lighting/shadowing approach.

I really do love the look of the materials, they look very convincing. I'm a little freightened at the prospect of humanity's extinction and the rise of futuristic neanderthals...those are neanderthals right? Just look at the size of those heads, and the brow ridges ;)

Natoma said:
It's definitely gorgeous in stills. But I'm wondering how it looks in motion? A gorgeous game that stutters and sputters along = meh.
well natoma, there is video featuring rolling gameplay demo and Q&A by epic's rod ferguson available on xbox live since quite a while.
that would probably solve your question.

if you dont have access to a 360, and you want to take my word for it, still shots just dont make this game justice.

I always thought the bad FPS claim of GOW was alreadys exgerrated. In the beginning it wasn't so great. People seemed to had confused with bad animation (which has been corrected) and poor fps.

CliffyB said on GAf that it was achieving 40-50fps and would be locked at 30fps. Especially easy with the multi-threaded UE3 renderer.

I think people will forget ALL about those few hiccups from the May build that gave rise to the "OMG graphics but meh frame rate" which has now taken on a life of its own when people try to downplay this game.

Still going? It was never confirmed.

Only rumors and common sense brought that one up. ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59297

Eurogamer: But is that exclusive to Xbox?

J Allard: It's Xbox and PC.

MS J Allard was the one that brought it up. It wasn't just a rumour or common sense. It was common sense that it would be out for 360 first, but is it still going for PC ? Has the PC version been canned ?

The screens they released when they were showing off Unreal Engine 3 for PC like 2 years ago, those screens looks so much nicer than what's now on 360. I am hoping I can get similar quality for GoW on PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59297

MS J Allard was the one that brought it up. It wasn't just a rumour or common sense. It was common sense that it would be out for 360 first, but is it still going for PC ? Has the PC version been canned ?

The screens they released when they were showing off Unreal Engine 3 for PC like 2 years ago, those screens looks so much nicer than what's now on 360. I am hoping I can get similar quality for GoW on PC.

Might want to post the whole quote:

J Allard: It's Xbox and PC.

Eurogamer: It's interesting. Why have you not made those Xbox/PC titles like Call Of Duty 2, Quake 4 exclusive to Xbox 360?

J Allard: I always get back to the gamers. Every decision we make is really focused on what the gamers want. A ton of our gamers are dual gamers meaning that they have PC and console because they prefer some aspects of PC, especially in FPSs. Okay, should we really make Quake an exclusive that you can't play on PC.

Eurogamer: You did exactly that with Halo, though, and that's the point. You yanked it off PC and made it an Xbox exclusive.

J Allard: No, no. We published Halo on both PC and Mac.

Eurogamer: Yes, but that was about two years later!

J Allard: We didn't talk about sequencing. Gears Of War will be on both platforms, but it might be on one before the other. That's a little bit more of a game time decision.

Obviously if the PC version is still in the works you won't be playing it til years later just like Halo PC. If you're geniunely interested in it why wait that long? GOW 2 will be coming out.

GoW is a great looking game. Who would have thought one of the founders/co-owner of Ion Storm, Jerry O'Flaherty, would go on to be a driving force to make such a visually stunning game.

Daikatakana infamous, Gears of War legendary.

Am I the only one who thinks that the new Marcus looks a bit like Cliffy B after an intensive course of steroids, and a bit of a ruck with a particularly nasty cat?

MS J Allard was the one that brought it up. It wasn't just a rumour or common sense.

Allard? Hah! What does he know anyway. Isn't he that MP3 guy?

:oops:

It was common sense that it would be out for 360 first, but is it still going for PC ? Has the PC version been canned ?

I would be very surprised if they would do that. Money in the bank and all that.

Back