New GoW screens!

Instead of blabbering on immaturely about whether or not this game matches a certain developer's view of the future in 2005, why don't you guys talk about what it is in the pictures and video that makes this game such a fantastic looking game (or not).

Personally, I'm going to be bold and say that it's the art direction and the large macho looking, detailed player characters that strike a chord with many here as well as some interesting gameplay ideas. Other than that, hmm. I'm not seeing it yet - perhaps some nice (though short and superficial) shader effects?

But I'll wait for X06 for more ... personally I think that Halo 3 will be much better, at least technically.

Honestly ,mind you that i know jack shit about tech in games and never pretend that i do, it looks CGish to me.The quality of the textures,the way the models looks,the lighting,the stracture of the stages.With these new daytime screens i am blown away,the game seems to be looking better and better.

I could nitpick,just like some folks that are drooling on other threads do here, and find some "mistakes" but it really gives the impression that this is the closest thing to the killzone video.I could care less if that offends some people.

looks like it received some downgrades somewhere. i dont know exactly where but
the body armour texture for example looks simplefied.

The mud/water in this shot looks really nice. Hopefully the game plays as good as it looks and they work out the bugs of the threaded renderer.

Yes.
It's the first game to actually get there.I can't wait for the next few days.

The only time it comes remotely close is in stills, and only the 16xAA bulshots. In motion, no comparison at all. KZ never looked too amazing in stills.

Last edited by a moderator:
2008 would probably be a very safe bet based on MS's track record.

Yeah, good common sense marketing: When Gears of War 2 is being readied for a Fall 2008 release on the Xbox 360 -- and getting a ton of hype/add time -- they can release the PC version of Gears of War 1 and basically get free advertising and generate interest in PC fans who have yet to play Gears of War. By 2008 it should run well with decent quality on a lot of PCs as well.

Yeah, good common sense marketing: When Gears of War 2 is being readied for a Fall 2008 release on the Xbox 360 -- and getting a ton of hype/add time -- they can release the PC version of Gears of War 1 and basically get free advertising and generate interest in PC fans who have yet to play Gears of War. By 2008 it should run well with decent quality on a lot of PCs as well.

yep, that's a logical strategy

looks like it received some downgrades somewhere. i dont know exactly where but
the body armour texture for example looks simplefied.

Umm, no it doesn't, the armor looks the exact same:

1116361333.jpg

1123193732.jpg

go1.jpg

BTW I love the AF in this shot. I'm so accustomed to it not being turned on in Next-gen games that this is a God send:

go2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey69 :
The 2 upper screens are supersampled.The 2 others are not.
GOW did most of the first year PR with Supersampled shots .
Detail was much more increased , pictures had lot of subpixel information .Real ingame mipmapping can't really compete.

I don't really like the design of the heroes if you could call em that. That huge armor is kinda meh for me but over all this game looks pretty good. I'd understand the huge armors on aliens but on humans, no. :D

Pretty sure this will offer action worth every cent you dish on this, so happy gaming Xbox360 owners. ;)

The assets are the same ,it's the way they are rendered that is not.

Don't be ridiculous - the differences are pretty obvious in texture color, facial features, even to the model itself in parts. Shaders have been finetuned as well.

Back