Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

That looks rather bad.

It looks like it did at TGS 2006. Only a new area and another time of day.

TGS 2006;
whknp3003.jpg

Todays;
54411420070727_124148_6_big.jpg

54411420070727_124150_11_big.jpg

It looks like it did at TGS 2006. Only a new area and another time of day.

Wow. That was really unflattering.

After all the "Stunning" etc comments i was expecting something else.

Something where they actually used some shaders. This looks like a HD version of a PS2 game with better textures

Wow. That was really unflattering.

After all the "Stunning" etc comments i was expecting something else.

Something where they actually used some shaders. This looks like a HD version of a PS2 game with better textures

The TGS-screens looks better in motion and so does the new ones i assume, considering the in-game sequences in the trailer. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Level5 are being influenced by past cell-shaded efforts. That's their signature style, and they seem to have gone with something more along those lines. No specular highlights or realistic lighting or complex shaders. The scenery in TGS looked extremely rich, and for me had a wonderful atmosphere, so I had no complaints there. Unfortunately it doesn't work in these images. There's no artistic depth. It's just a collection of textures without shading or atmosphere.

Yeah, I agree. I really like Level 5's character design.

Really, I actually hate it. All the characters looked the same (even women) except for the hair. I showed the Japanese PSN video to my girlfriend and before I said anything she said she hated the looks of the characters (and that I should not get the game). It's still on my want list though, mainly because I really want to play a decent JRPG on my PS3 and this will probably be my first chance to do so.

dont forget that these are the folks behind the critical acclaim hits of Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King which is the fastest selling Ps2 title in Japan ever -reaching 3 millions in Japan within one week.

So if anything they lack in the graphic they will either deliver in the gameplay or story or maybe both.

I googled for the release date and IGN says end 2007 for Japan and 2008 for US ? If so, they should have plenty of time to fix the presentation as long as the game play is good.

I think I will get Folk Soul (Asian edition, for the theme song by Abingdon Boys School).
And then White Knight in 2008 to complete my RPG collection.

dont forget that these are the folks behind the critical acclaim hits of Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King which is the fastest selling Ps2 title in Japan ever -reaching 3 millions in Japan within one week.
So if anything they lack in the graphic they will either deliver in the gameplay or story or maybe both.
I think dragon quest was a old-school rpg so it depends on what you like. The last gameplay demo they showed had a semi-realtime system. I think it was in japanese so if somebody could clarify on the battle system I'd appreciate it.

Which had Akira Toriyama as character designer and the rest of the Dragon Quest crew for music, design and story/setting. Those are not available for this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im blind for some apparent reason becase I cant find the white Knight Story thread :oops:

Anyway, the main website got an update of which some includes:

New concept artwork
Ingame characters
Story
Character creation

and some other stuff(though theyre mostly in japanese so good luck translating :!: )

Nicely moving site, too! The Folklore one makes me want to vomit blood.

To my knowledge this is the only real WKS thread we've had, too. Could probably use a mod adding "(White Knight Story)" to the subject, or somesuch, to be more appropriate at this point.

http://www.cheatcc.com/ps3/rev/whiteknightchroniclespreview.html

Finally some new information on this game.

Game Features:

-Take control of Lenard, who with the power of an ancient artifact, can transform into the legendary White Knight.
-Explore a massive world full of vast mountains, forests, and cities.
-Utilize the fast travel system which will allow you to instantly teleport to any area you have already traveled.
-Introducing the "Function Palette," a real time battle system which will let you fight based on pre-selected battle commands.
-Featuring a professional voice acting cast and orchestrated soundtrack.

So the function of the battle system works similar to KH's in that your allowed to move freely. You are not warp into battle. There is seven palettes at the bottom of the screen that are uses for commands(such as magic and weapon abilities that you learn) and are suppose to be pre-set before you draw a battle. Each enemy will have their own unique attributes and will act according to what you do or try to do to them. The combat system doesn't sound very deep but this is just the basics that they are telling us so far. If this game is anything like what I saw earlier with a sophisticated movie like battle with many different voice overs, then I might buy it.

Back